Raiders officially release Antonio Brown

Steelersfan43

Peter King

There is No More To Say About Antonio Brownand His Helmet

NAPA, Calif. — But I’ll say it anyway: The Raiders should put Brown on notice today by sending him the dreaded “five-day letter,” which every agent and knowledgeable player would absolutely dread. This letter would mean that Brown would have to return to the team by Friday and (be an adult and) play with a league-approved helmet, or he would be put on the reserve/left squad list, meaning he couldn’t play for the Raiders or any team in 2019. It’s also Belichick insurance, preventing the Patriots or some other contender figuring they can deal with the Brown headache for four or five months if it allows them to win a game or three more.

I did consider urging the Raiders to just fire Brown. It just might come to that. But the five-day letter is a good starting point, because it draws a line in the sand immediately. As Mike Florio reported at Pro Football Talk, not reporting after receiving that letter would end Brown’s season and prevent the Raiders from having to pay $29.1 million future guarantees on Brown’s Oakland contract. It’s worth doing. Brown has driven the franchise to this, and he deserves this.

Today is not the day to make any judgment about Brown’s mental stability or his frame of mind. He might be fine; he might be legitimately troubled in a way we don’t know. I just know the Raiders went out on a limb to acquire him from Pittsburgh, then paid him a rich contract. Since then, Brown has been beyond childish about an issue that more than 2,000 players have coped with: wearing only safety-approved helmets in accord with a $60-million initiative in 2016 to ensure that every player wear a helmet that has been approved by a joint NFL/NFLPA testing process. Every team has 63 active and practice-squad players. So 2,015 players (some of whom might be ticked off about it) will start the season wearing approved helmets. One wants to wear a non-approved—and relatively unsafe—helmet. That one is Brown.

more

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/19/kyler-murray-cardinals-antonio-brown-raiders-fmia-nfl-peter-king/

Edited by Steelersfan43
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Honest question for the group here:

Wouldn't it be smart (I know a word not associated with AB right now) to practice in a different helmet?  Maybe ask the equipment guys to have 5-6 ready to go so he could switch out when he wants to right now?  Then if you fight this and win....awesome.  If you lose, you've been trying different helmets and facemasks all along, and it won't take long to adjust to the new helmet and you know which one you want right away?

You would think that is what a sane, reasonably professional person would do. What is most frustrating to me is all the talk about being a professional, work ethic and so on means diddly squat if you're not actually available to practice and especially so if the reason is self imposed.

All the social media tweets of working out and catching passes at night etc. don't show a damn thing if you're not on the practice field with your team and helping the younger players improve. Anyone can catch a few balls at midnight and film it for a minute to make themselves look like they're working all hours - how does the player work on the practice field and when it's unpleasant and when he's tired and when it helps others more than himself - that is what makes a guy a true professional. Not positing the odd workout or a jolly to Paris on social media. I'm rapidly tiring of this clown already and considering what us Raiders fans have been through for the last 15 odd years that takes a lot O.o

• Like 5

Idk what the Raiders thought was going to happen. Mayock decided to lowball the Steelers thinking he would win this trade and look like a genius. Now him and Gruden look like idiots having made this trade. AB is rapidly ruining his career. If he flames out in Oakland, who else will want him? I mean other than NE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Idk what the Raiders thought was going to happen. Mayock decided to lowball the Steelers thinking he would win this trade and look like a genius. Now him and Gruden look like idiots having made this trade. AB is rapidly ruining his career. If he flames out in Oakland, who else will want him? I mean other than NE.

I don't get the point of including this. You think this has gone sideways because we "low balled" the Steelers? Haha.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Of course, with 30 million guaranteed, no way he was going to be out for a long time, especially after his GM called him out...This drama is a joke and it should never be a huge story, but Brown love the attention,good or bad.