Bucs Trade S Wilcox to Steelers

bucsfan333

Just now, Chieferific said:

Any opinions related to Wilcox's abilities? 

Honestly didn't see much or read much about him. He was only around for a few months. He hits hard and struggles in coverage. We played him in the slot a bit and he didn't seem to do too well. He gave up a TD against Jacksonville. 

He's fine in the locker room. Nobody said anything bad about him. McCoy actually said he was one of the most impressive guys at camp. 

As long as you don't ask him to line up in coverage a lot and keep him near the LOS, I think you'll be alright.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

Honestly didn't see much or read much about him. He was only around for a few months. He hits hard and struggles in coverage. We played him in the slot a bit and he didn't seem to do too well. He gave up a TD against Jacksonville. 

He's fine in the locker room. Nobody said anything bad about him. McCoy actually said he was one of the most impressive guys at camp. 

As long as you don't ask him to line up in coverage a lot and keep him near the LOS, I think you'll be alright.

We already have one of those. O.o

Wilcox is a Hitman who plays similar to Mike Mitchell but is a bigger hitter. Yeah you heard me. Wilcox is a knockout type defender and with Mike Mitchell and Sean Davis the Safeties will be beastly! I can see Davis or Wilcox lining next to Shazier in Big Nickle or Dime. Wilcox weighs about 220ish and is a decent athlete but not someone who can play single high. I was a fan of Church and Wilcox due to their physicality. Steelers secondary is getting serious fast! 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

We already have one of those. O.o

Werent you on board with TJ Ward?   You know he is basically the same thing as well, right?   B|

Truth is, there arent many truly great COVER safeties in this league.   Thats why safeties are at such a premium.   Still, Wilcox for a 6th rounder?   Yeah, I like it.   Even if he isnt great, he is pretty solid, and thats better than most 6th rounders.

Dont put much into Pro Football Focus, and its a small sample size, but....

The safety position could be a strength as new addition J.J. Wilcox finished last season with the 14th highest coverage grade (84.2), while Keith Tandy was the highest-graded safety over the final five weeks of the season, allowing a passer rating of just 34.3 into his coverage over that span.

Another good signing for the Steelers. They caught some heat for not making some impact moves during free agency, but they have done an excellent job of putting together a roster and upgrading in some key positions. The only move that I questioned was keeping DHB over Coates. Coates is younger and basically the same skill-set and inconsistent hands.  Plus Coates had some return abilities on KOR. I would have preferred keeping the younger player with the same skills, but I do understand that DHB has high character and leadership. Anyway what is done is done.

Question: Has anyone heard who got cut/moved to make room?  I was thinking Robert Golden.  He struggled mightily, but like DHB is respected, so you never know.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Werent you on board with TJ Ward?   You know he is basically the same thing as well, right?   B|

Truth is, there arent many truly great COVER safeties in this league.   Thats why safeties are at such a premium.   Still, Wilcox for a 6th rounder?   Yeah, I like it.   Even if he isnt great, he is pretty solid, and thats better than most 6th rounders.

Ward is a better all around Safety imo but I can agree that a 6th rdr is certainly reasonable. I revert to my OP. I don't mind the pickup. I'm merely suggesting that he isn't going to be the "missing piece" to the FS woes that some may feel he could be. I said he wasn't a HUGE upgrade and I continue to believe that. We basically have SSs playing FSs and have for years. This signing doesn't change that.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Dont put much into Pro Football Focus, and its a small sample size, but....

This is surprising to me. I didn't watch many Bucs games but I watched many a Cowboy game and can tell you he didn't LOOK to be in the top 14. But the stat is the stat.

Archived