Bucs Trade S Wilcox to Steelers

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, JDLefebvre said:

We used our 6th rounder for him and not the Browns correct?  So near an early  7th round pick instead of near a late 5th round pick for what it's worth. Haha

I'm like 75% sure the 6th we got from the Browns was our own 6th that we gave them for Justin Gilbert.

We've been looking for a smash mouth 3rd safety to play in our big nickel all offseason. Now we got a young one. I think a guy like him might make those shifty, little guys think twice about crossing the field. 

Our defense is getting more and more likely to hit someone in mouth. I like the physicality we're bringing. Haden and Wilcox are going to join Mitchell, Davis, and Artie to form a pretty salty secondary. I just hope we don't drop Allen to make room for them. 

16 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Steelers are pulling no punches and will play smashmouth football this season. Now we need to ****** up Gerald Hodges for ILB. These moves also have me feeling that Big Ben will only play for maybe 1 more year, if this isn't his last one.

I've never understood the fascination with Gerald Hodges.  He got hyped up a lot when he was in MN, but never impressed me at all.  I haven't seen him since then though if he developed into a better player.  

15 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Ward is a better all around Safety imo but I can agree that a 6th rdr is certainly reasonable. I revert to my OP. I don't mind the pickup. I'm merely suggesting that he isn't going to be the "missing piece" to the FS woes that some may feel he could be. I said he wasn't a HUGE upgrade and I continue to believe that. We basically have SSs playing FSs and have for years. This signing doesn't change that.

Ward has never been that good in coverage.  The only time he looked good are when the players around him were playing at an elite level and the pass rush was fierce.   Ward was never better than Ryan Clark in his prime....although he did get more hype.   Im not going to say Wilcox is better, but you implied you were disappointed that we signed ANOTHER guy who hits hard and struggles in coverage....and thats Ward all over.

No idea how Wilcox will turn out....but Id rather have him than Ward for the price TBH.  

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We've been looking for a smash mouth 3rd safety to play in our big nickel all offseason. Now we got a young one. I think a guy like him might make those shifty, little guys think twice about crossing the field. 

Our defense is getting more and more likely to hit someone in mouth. I like the physicality we're bringing. Haden and Wilcox are going to join Mitchell, Davis, and Artie to form a pretty salty secondary. I just hope we don't drop Allen to make room for them. 

This is he point I'm trying to make, WRs don't care about going across the middle anymore. Not in today's NFL. Honestly, think of the last time you saw a guy get blown up going across the middle and it was a LEGAL hit. You saw Burfict just get suspended for this type of 'Old school" approach. This isn't to say Wilcox won't help improve the physicality of the team. It's just that there are now restrictions that neuter his effectiveness. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

This is he point I'm trying to make, WRs don't care about going across the middle anymore. Not in today's NFL. Honestly, think of the last time you saw a guy get blown up going across the middle and it was a LEGAL hit. You saw Burfict just get suspended for this type of 'Old school" approach. This isn't to say Wilcox won't help improve the physicality of the team. It's just that there are now restrictions that neuter his effectiveness. 

Trust me, receivers get nervous going over the middle of the field. Offensive coaches do a better job of spacing and designing routes but those guys still get rocked even though the refs through the flag. As a QB, your ball placement leads your receivers into getting knocked out. We have 2 KO artists along with Shazier roaming the middle. I would like for VW and Shazier to play their zones better at times.

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ward has never been that good in coverage.  The only time he looked good are when the players around him were playing at an elite level and the pass rush was fierce.   Ward was never better than Ryan Clark in his prime....although he did get more hype.   Im not going to say Wilcox is better, but you implied you were disappointed that we signed ANOTHER guy who hits hard and struggles in coverage....and thats Ward all over.

No idea how Wilcox will turn out....but Id rather have him than Ward for the price TBH.  

Fair points. I just remember Ward seemingly being around the ball play after the play. That certainly could have a lot to do with that Denver Pass Rush and all around Defense. Perhaps I'm overstating his coverage ability whilst you are underestimating it. Being "disappointed" is a strong word. I'm not disappointed in the signing. I just don't think his style is conducive to an effective FS and I don't see him as a huge gain. Then again, I guess he wasn't supposed to be.

13 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Trust me, receivers get nervous going over the middle of the field. Offensive coaches do a better job of spacing and designing routes but those guys still get rocked even though the refs through the flag. As a QB, your ball placement leads your receivers into getting knocked out. We have 2 KO artists along with Shazier roaming the middle. I would like for VW and Shazier to play their zones better at times.

I don't trust you as I've heard former WRs say they'd eat up the middle in today's NFL cause the rules allow for it. Per the NFL rules in regards to illegal hits...

A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

Why would any player scared to go over the middle anymore?

1 hour ago, steelcurtain29 said:

All these moves are so uncharacteristic... It's so odd!

Cause they know for sure they only have Bell for this year...Bryant for 2 years...and Bens a year by year case at best.

They seem to be doing what a lot of us wanted then to do...go all in for another SB run before Ben retires.

An underrated part of this spending spree is that Haden and McDonalds deal are basically a year to year basis. If they play well...awesome 2 pretty big holes filled....if not they can be cut and save $15 mill against cap with little dead $$$ IIRC.

I'm excited about it. Anything is an improvement over Golden. He brings energy to the field, something this defense is still lacking most of the time. Kind of like a Lethon Flowers, but it seems more to offer. 

Its horrible to see these Steelers defenders that can't tackle or aren't so wanting to tackle like I too often see from Golden. 

Archived