Do you view Alex Smith to be a bust?

CP3MVP

He was the 1st pick in the draft in 2005. He was flat out terrible his first 5 seasons. Honestly the fact that he got that long of a leash is surprising. However His 6th season he became a nice game manager on a loaded team coached by Jim Harbaugh. A team so stacked that another Qb took that same roster to a Super Bowl and that QB has been out of football before he turned 30. 

He then got traded to KC where he had an Nice run as a game manger on stacked teams for several years. He left KC and the QB who was behind took that offense and overall team to highest he never managed. 

So overall do you cosncisd Smith to be a bust? He was terrible for large stretches of his career then ok after that. He was never a superstar level QB and that’s kindoff what you expect with the first pick 

It all depends on how people view a bust.  For those that think Mike Mamula was a bust, then they've got to think Alex Smith was one as well.  Personally, I expect a lot more from the #1 pick, but at the same time, a game manager from the QB who can keep a team in playoff contention is worth something, so I don't view him as a bust.  

Also, I think you have to look at the talent in that draft pool, and who the players around that pick are as well.  @Steelersfan43has a good point about him being the best player in the top 10.  Hard for me to call someone a bust at that point.  But, if you've got a guy sandwiched between a couple Pro Bowlers and some good starters and he can't crack a starting lineup, yeah, he's definitely a bust. 

• Like 1

The guy followed the Jeff Garcia, Steve Young, and Joe Montana qb eras. With some of the worst talent that franchise ever had. 

His number 1 was Brandon Lloyd  who would make great catches but he wasn't a #1 wr. He got Vernon Davis year 2 but tes take time to develop. Then injuries started hiting him.

I don't think San Francisco managed him very well. Which is why McCarthy went extra conservative with Rodgers when he got to greenbay.

So no I don't view Alex Smith a bust. BUSTS to me don't survive as starters in the league for as long as he did. 

Sam Bradford is a bust to me

• Like 6

I don't believe he is. He isn't a HOFer but a solid QB with a limited skill set that's maximizes said skill set. He stabilized our QB spot and groomed our QBOTF without complaint. He has his quirks that you wanna smother him in his sleep over but if you need somebody to bring your team out of the cellar, he's your guy, just not a Super Bowl QB.

No way a bust.

He has been a starting QB for multiple teams, for multiple seasons, and was able to contribute in getting those teams far in certain seasons.

Let's also not forget he had to deal with a carousel of OC's in San Francisco, having to learn a new scheme every season. 

A bust is someone who comes into the league and fails to show that they can play to the standard of the NFL.

Alex Smith does not fall into that category. 

Edited by PFM18
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

No way a bust.

He has been a starting QB for multiple teams, for multiple seasons, and was able to contribute in getting those teams far in certain seasons.

Let's also not forget he had to deal with a carousel of OC's in San Francisco, having to learn a new scheme every season. 

A bust is someone who comes into the league and fails to show that they can play to the standard of the NFL.

Alex Smith does not fall into that category. 

Standard of the Nfl is simply a starter.  So as long you can be a starting qb you are not a bust?

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Standard of the Nfl is simply a starter.  So as long you can be a starting qb you are not a bust?

If you can start as many games as Alex Smith has in the NFL (Quick check shows 167 regular season starts) then I think he's shown that people believe he's good enough.

I should rephrase. A QB that becomes a starter can be a bust (see Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell) but a QB who starts so many games in the league I don't think should be classified as a bust as surely if he was that bad so many coaches would not be playing him in said league. 

Edited by PFM18
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

If you can start as many games as Alex Smith has in the NFL (Quick check shows 167 regular season starts) then I think he's shown that people believe he's good enough.

I should rephrase. A QB that becomes a starter can be a bust (see Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell) but a QB who starts so many games in the league I don't think should be classified as a bust as surely if he was that bad so many coaches would not be playing him in said league. 

And he is 94-66-1 in his career, although he was not very good in his first 6 years.I do not think you can win a SB with Alex Smith unless the team is very loaded around you, but you can win a lot of games with Alex Smith if the team is good, that a bust can't do in the long run.

• Like 1