Patriots Extend Tom Brady for 2 years, $70M

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I don't want to wait, I want Sam to take it this year.  It will be better to take it from Tom rather then let him pass the torch.

I mean, I just don't see that happening.  I get you don't want to wait, but it takes time to be a great QB in this league (unless you're Patrick Mahomes).  It plans out perfect because by the time Brady is done, Darnold should be where he needs to be.  Brady is still the best QB in the league and the Pats are by far the best team in the AFC East.

29 minutes ago, showtime said:

I mean, I just don't see that happening.  I get you don't want to wait, but it takes time to be a great QB in this league (unless you're Patrick Mahomes).  It plans out perfect because by the time Brady is done, Darnold should be where he needs to be.  Brady is still the best QB in the league and the Pats are by far the best team in the AFC East.

Ehh there have been plenty of good QB's make the leap in year 2.  Wentz, Goff, Baker (was good as a rook), Trubisky, Watson etc.

Sam was younger and less experienced then those guys so he might take an extra year to get there but I see no reason he can't make a significant jump in his play this season.  More weapons, better play calling, more experience.  If Sam makes the jump most are expecting the Jets can give NE a run for the division.

Would I bet on it no but Brady hasn't had a QB to worry about in the division since Pennington.  This is the year he finally has some competition.

I think the Jets are more talented then NE it's just they could never match up with a QB/HC.  I don't see this as a run away for them.  They probably still win it but maybe by a game or 2 not 4 games. 

As I said if not this year, next year Sam will take it not be handed it.  You want to be the best you got to beat the best.

Edited by Rockice_8

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

it's basically a 1 year deal with 8M pay raise for this year. Either he retires after this year or there will be a new contract negotiation next year

It really isn't a pay raise this year though is it? His base salary is certainly getting cut and he will cash a check for 23 million but it will count against future seasons because it will be signing bonus money. I'm interested in seeing how it is laid out but I think it would be near impossible to get out of next year because a lot of it will be signing bonus because they will transfer this year's salary into future signing bonus to save cap room for 2019.

38 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Honestly, his wife makes enough money, i’m not sure why Brady has to be such a selfish SOB and take up this much cap space. This is why Gronk retired.

I know right? How dare the greatest QB of all time, still playing at an elite level and fresh off yet another super bowl win feel like he deserves to be the 6th highest paid QB in the NFL... It's truly offensive.

• Like 2

Yeah this contract just keeps getting more confusing. If they are giving him a raise and saving money against the cap this year and he is a free agent after this year that bonus money has to be accounted for next year but that doesn't usually happen with free agents. Also contract extensions that void before the extension starts seem like they should be against the rules.

Maybe I'm just missing something but I have a hunch that rules will have to be made so this type of contract doesn't happen in the future if somehow New England gets out of having future bonus money count against the future cap. Honestly I don't see how the league would have approved this contract to begin with if that was the case but I am certainly confused over it.

38 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah this contract just keeps getting more confusing. If they are giving him a raise and saving money against the cap this year and he is a free agent after this year that bonus money has to be accounted for next year but that doesn't usually happen with free agents.

The bonus money will be accounted for next year. There can be years in a contract that can be voided and still carry a cap charge. Any player that's cut or has an option year declined carries a cap hit for their old year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

The bonus money will be accounted for next year. There can be years in a contract that can be voided and still carry a cap charge. Any player that's cut or has an option year declined carries a cap hit for their old year.

Yeah, read up on it a little more and found Brees has the same type of contract. Brees will count for 21.3 million against the Saints cap next year and he will also be a free agent. Seems to be sidestepping the rules a bit and should probably be eliminated as an option but it isn't really team friendly except for the current year in which they save cap space but unlike a traditional contract these don't even disguise the fact that they are paying for current services in a future cap year and that is just not right.

2 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

They're probably cutting him after this season anyways. Don't see any reason for a team to hold onto a 43 year old QB...

No, they cant cut him, he will be a FA no matter what.  The last 2 years void automatically on the last day of the league year.  Cant be tagged either.  Basically they gave him a raise to free up some space, and they'll pay the piper on it next year. 

Let's be honest, to one of the comments above, it's not hard to be the best team in the AFC East if you're the Patriots, the other 3 teams absolutely suck. They have for, how long has Brady been in the league? Yeah that long and then some. That division offers the Patriots 0 actual competition imo. That's not a knock on NE or Brady, it's just the way it is.