Patriots Extend Tom Brady for 2 years, $70M

ramssuperbowl99

I dont think this is as simple as we are freeing up space, we are giving Tom Brady more time or money, we are making room for a trade, or any of that. I think its all of it.

I dont think Brady plays beyond this extension. But I also dont believe that the Offensive line is particularly strong on this team. I could definitely see this as a final paycheck for Brady while making room for Trent William's to protect him in their quest for a 7th Lombardi.

Yeah I'm not sure how this will work. I don't think it will really be year to year because they are going to have to add future signing bonus money making this a 2 year extension for like 80 million with moved money. Sure it can be renegotiated each year but I don't see that happening unless something crazy happens or they just try to cheat the system the year he retires which...

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I'm not sure how this will work. I don't think it will really be year to year because they are going to have to add future signing bonus money making this a 2 year extension for like 80 million with moved money. Sure it can be renegotiated each year but I don't see that happening unless something crazy happens or they just try to cheat the system the year he retires which...

move it back a couple of years and eat the dead cap when we are rebuilding.

52 minutes ago, showtime said:

The guy is the greatest QB to ever play the game and is still the best QB in the league today.  No reason for him to retire.  I just stand back and salute the man.  Appreciate the greatness.

You're correct, I just don't see any QB in the future getting 6 or more rings.  Just too difficult statistically.

• Like 1

I find this move a little puzzling, tbh. Maybe freeing up the $5.5 mil puts them in the Trent Williams sweepstakes, I don't know. They're essentially giving him Gronk's money in the short term, and boosting salary for when the cap rises. Also, negotiations between Brady and the Patriots were never likely to become contentious. So...if this wasn't done to accommodate a particular move, potential move, or specific strategy, it's weird. 

19 hours ago, showtime said:

The guy is the greatest QB to ever play the game and is still the best QB in the league today.  No reason for him to retire.  I just stand back and salute the man.  Appreciate the greatness.

Easy for you to say out in Seattle.

Good I want to beat him on the field I hope he plays a few more seasons.  I think Sam is ready to take the next step and go toe to toe with old man Brady.

What a selfish, selfish man he is!! He should at the very least take some time off to think about this obvious spur of the moment decision. In fact I would strongly encourage to him rest, lets say, the first week of the season. A man his age doesn't need to play in a meaningless opener. Think of the team Tom and not about yourself for once damn it!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Easy for you to say out in Seattle.

Good I want to beat him on the field I hope he plays a few more seasons.  I think Sam is ready to take the next step and go toe to toe with old man Brady.

When Brady retires in a few years, hopefully Darnold will be a really good QB by then.  If so, the East may become the Jets division.  They have some really good young players and a promising QB, so they're probably in the best position to take the reigns from New England in a few years.

Just now, showtime said:

When Brady retires in a few years, hopefully Darnold will be a really good QB by then.  If so, the East may become the Jets division.  They have some really good young players and a promising QB, so they're probably in the best position to take the reigns from New England in a few years.

I don't want to wait, I want Sam to take it this year.  It will be better to take it from Tom rather then let him pass the torch.

• Like 2