Scott McCloughan's draft classes for us were a disaster

mar29020

Just now, turtle28 said:

I agree with this, but we have to give Credit to Gruden, McVay and Callahan as well and the work they did in developing Kirk and the young OL.

That's true but the team was still awful with Gruden the year before Scot got there. The winning started when Scot was hired. Maybe it's a coincidence but that's when it happened. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's true but the team was still awful with Gruden the year before Scot got there. The winning started when Scot was hired. Maybe it's a coincidence but that's when it happened. 

Yes, but that was Gruden's first season as a head coach and he was forced to play RG3 when he didn't want to mid way through the season and most of the players on the team were Shanahan's players from the horrible 2013 season.

The most valuable thing about McCloughan is that he gave the team direction.  Without him the organization is rudderless.  The Redskins finally had a plan and identity, the first time since Gibbs.  

Now we have no idea who is in charge of what.  We have no idea who is picking the players and making decisions.  We know Allen, Gruden and Williams are sharing this role in some capacity but it's all really vague.  This is how poor organizations are run.

Bruce Allen now has his ideal setup.  If we have a good season he'll take all of the credit.  But if we bomb things are fuzzy enough that he can deflect the blame onto Gruden.  

We can say what we want about Scots picks but he was amazing with these players noticeably responded to his leadership and his involvement in the locker. Players that have been picked by Scot raved about how he always pushed them to be better. And when he was here the best player seemed to play because I don't think he always kept the players others in the room wanted. Players on the field didn't play based on salery for once here. He wasn't married to FA and he brought players who had a attitude that was the biggest noticeable change here. Josh has the most ability of our WR's and I agree with Scot completely!!!! Josh has the talent to be the best and you can't project injury!!!!! Say what you want but all of his players that have had a chance to start have made impacts at some point even out of position!!! Cravens was put as LB which probably had a impact on him wanting to retire. Scot also didn't accept mediocrity which I can't say has been the he case here. He chewed Bree out for lack of effort as he ashould have. Coaches might have been turned off by his involvement but it's no coincidence this team has that same lost look on the sideline they had before he got there!!! One man with a plan and the drive to win can be intoxicating. Scot brought that and you can say whatever the sideline look very different!!! Snyder made a huge mistake letting Allen let Scot leave!!!! If we suck I hope Snyder grows half a brain and makes the hire he should have 3 years ago and the fire he should have made 3 years ago!!!!!!

As soon as they fired Scot, my attitude about the direction of this team did a complete 180. He was trying to build a team that would be great for a decade, not just a season. The ownership completely botched this and now our team has zero direction. As long as we have this awful ownership, we're just going keep running circles season after season after season...

13 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

As soon as they fired Scot, my attitude about the direction of this team did a complete 180. He was trying to build a team that would be great for a decade, not just a season. The ownership completely botched this and now our team has zero direction. As long as we have this awful ownership, we're just going keep running circles season after season after season...

It's sad!!! This team finally picked a direction!!! It was a winning direction. I like Gruddn but Allen will ruin this team!!!! He already has!!!! He had one job!!! Get Kirk signed!!! Instead he fires Scot and I'm sure that played a huge role in Kirk choosing to turn down a very reasonable offer! Nobody in this league trusts Allen!!!! Hopefully when Snyder wakes up we bring in a real GM where Snyder agrees in the deal to keep his butt in the Sweet and the GM has total say! Hopefully Snyder reaches back out to Scot and fixes this with him!!! Because I think Scot genuinely cared about the Redskins!!!!! He stressed bringing in Redskins and a culture!!!! Now we're back to just back to doing what the fans want and I'm sorry i love this team but Scot knows what it takes to build winners!!!! I really hope we can fix this FO when this team collapses without his direction!!!

14 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It's sad!!! This team finally picked a direction!!! It was a winning direction. I like Gruddn but Allen will ruin this team!!!! He already has!!!! He had one job!!! Get Kirk signed!!! Instead he fires Scot and I'm sure that played a huge role in Kirk choosing to turn down a very reasonable offer! Nobody in this league trusts Allen!!!! Hopefully when Snyder wakes up we bring in a real GM where Snyder agrees in the deal to keep his butt in the Sweet and the GM has total say! Hopefully Snyder reaches back out to Scot and fixes this with him!!! Because I think Scot genuinely cared about the Redskins!!!!! He stressed bringing in Redskins and a culture!!!! Now we're back to just back to doing what the fans want and I'm sorry i love this team but Scot knows what it takes to build winners!!!! I really hope we can fix this FO when this team collapses without his direction!!!

Snyder will never do it.  Actually, he could, but it would take almost all of our fans shunning season tickets, merchandise, etc.  Peter Angelos took losing for well over a decade until attendance was at an all-time low for his stadium, which is the crown jewel not just of MLB parks but stadiums period.  After just about everyone shunned tickets and merchandise, he finally brought in a proven manager in Buck Showalter and a proven GM in Dan Duquette.  Even still, Angelos meddles from time to time- i. physicals, major team direction, locking/unlocking funds- but those are things an owner should be involved with.  

At this point, the best Snyder could do was bring in a proven personnel executive who had his own personal demons, after he failed with bringing in the proven coach and eventually took power away.  So bringing in a proven coach and executive is out at this point, and if you are at the top of the totem pole for promotions at either of those positions, are the Redskins your first choice?  

Snyder has really put this franchise into a corner with the way he's handled things right now.  If the bottom comes out under Allen/Gruden, I truly don't know whats next and where we go from here. 

I think Scoot had a nack for finding late round players that could contribute. I think he struggled with his early round picks. He was more or less terrible at finding free agents that could contribute. Honestly, Shannahan built the core of this team. If the ownership would have left him alone, we would probably be a playoff team! Just my opinions!

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Snyder will never do it.  Actually, he could, but it would take almost all of our fans shunning season tickets, merchandise, etc.  Peter Angelos took losing for well over a decade until attendance was at an all-time low for his stadium, which is the crown jewel not just of MLB parks but stadiums period.  After just about everyone shunned tickets and merchandise, he finally brought in a proven manager in Buck Showalter and a proven GM in Dan Duquette.  Even still, Angelos meddles from time to time- i. physicals, major team direction, locking/unlocking funds- but those are things an owner should be involved with.  

At this point, the best Snyder could do was bring in a proven personnel executive who had his own personal demons, after he failed with bringing in the proven coach and eventually took power away.  So bringing in a proven coach and executive is out at this point, and if you are at the top of the totem pole for promotions at either of those positions, are the Redskins your first choice?  

Snyder has really put this franchise into a corner with the way he's handled things right now.  If the bottom comes out under Allen/Gruden, I truly don't know whats next and where we go from here. 

You throw 10 million a year at Nick Saban and you tell him to bring in his own GM. Essentially you almost pull the Seahawks page!!! That said everyone made a huge deal of Kirk rubbing Scot's head after the GB game. Honestly look at Kirk and just everyone I know I've brought all this side line thing a bunch today but I can't get past it. This year Kirk has looked flat. I'm telling you Scot would be walking, talking to players while stretching. There's something too it!!!! This guy was the key and we just threw it away!!! Hate his picks hate the players do what you will but this guy was everything they advertised!!!!! No maybe he never picked JJ watt!!! But you know what these players were playing competitive football and honestly he knows that the team is what matters!!!!! It's not about one guy. He paid players that exemplified and had the attitudes and work habits he wanted on this roster. But all players can have that. I think he knew how to relate to them and get it out of them. I like Gruden and I think the players enjoy playing for him. But Scot was hands on!!! I said it the day he was fired I'll say it again!!! Our shots at those titles we saw as a legit option with him building this team left with him!!!! Bruce Allen is looking back while Scot was looking forwards!!! It's a shame!!! It's a damn shame!!!!

Nick Saban has already failed in the NFL.  Just about any college coach going to the NFL has failed.  Pete Carroll is the exception, because he was an NFL coach for two teams (and made the Super Bowl with the Patriots) before going to college and then coming back to coach the Seahawks.  Dennis Erickson for the 49ers was a collossal failure. Bobby Petrino didn't last a year in Atlanta.  Steve Spurrier was god-awful for us, and without Petrino leaving a note as his resignation notice, would be the worst transitional coach by far.  Butch Davis was another who failed in the NFL. Even  the great Lou Holtz didn't succeed when he tried to make the jump.  This route is what got us to this situation and I have no desire to repeat it again. 

As for your feelings on McCloughan, I agree. He drafted football players based on results and off-field intangibles, wanting guys who were willing to grind and be part of a team, not a bunch of work-out warriors.  He was successful in previous stops doing so, and drafting BPA.  However, he's gone now and not coming back, we all need to look forward now. 

Archived