Scott McCloughan's draft classes for us were a disaster

mar29020

I'll admit I wanted Williams. I wasn't ecstatic we got Scherff. 

I have rationalized it that we needed to improve the OL, badly, since the focus of today's NFL is on the offense and we needed to improve the offense first. I further rationalized it that in 10 years, if he was the next Jon Jansen, I would be ok with the 5th pick on him.

However, I agree with the premise that you do NOT take a Guard at 5th. You.Just.Don't.

And this Guard we took at 5th is not making me think of Jon Jansen in any way except to say "I wish we had a young Jon Jansen on this team"

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This has to be a joke? And yes, your memory must be very selective. Some tried to reason why we did it, most thought it was stupid. 

And the reality was none of us ever thought Williams would be there. 

Exactly! When LWilliams was there I was doing back handsprings! I don't think I have been as disappointed that we passed on a player as when we passed on Williams since Casserly stupidly took Westbrook over Warren Sapp.

Of course, because Collins wouldn't have been playing out of position. With the skins, he would have been playing SS and he would have made the All-Rookie teams still. Goldson would have been the FS. 

If we want to put it all out there - just like Leonard Williams - Landon Collins had just as good a rookie season as Brandon Scherff who we took a round earlier and Collins plays a more impactful position. 

I'm not saying I don't like Scherff, he's a great player and had a great rookie season. I think he'll be a pro bowler soon, just stating that a DE & Safety have more impact than a guard.

Me, in the same thread that Slateman pulled his other quotes from.

I have no idea where Slate got the idea the whole forum was happy we took Scherff? Most wanted Williams but didn't even consider him being there a reality and when we did the whole mood here was somber. No one was happy they took Scherff over Williams. 

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Me, in the same thread that Slateman pulled his other quotes from.

I think me and you were both beating the Collins Drum hard!!! I even said I'd take him top 5!!!!! He's just a heck of a football player and he even mentioned playing here pre draft would be a dream come true!!! I would have loved to see him on this team was my favorite player that year!!!

6 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think me and you were both beating the Collins Drum hard!!! I even said I'd take him top 5!!!!! He's just a heck of a football player and he even mentioned playing here pre draft would be a dream come true!!! I would have loved to see him on this team was my favorite player that year!!!

I definitely would have taken at 5 but quit saying it because of the Mknight abuse I was undertaking! Lol ? 

Love ya @Mknight but you gotta ease up on the safety hate some. It's clear the S position along with the interior DL and ILB positions have been a problem on our D since 2011 when coincidentally we lost 11 sacks a year in 2012 when Bowen & Carriker got hurt, Fletcher lost a step and Robinson tore each of his PECs in back to back years just like Orakpo, then Landry got hurt for the 2nd year in a row and we let him walk and we felt Atogwe wasn't worth the $ but didn't find or draft a replacement that worked - of course we could of, but we took Amerson over Swearinger. And, we took Leribus over BRandon Brooks - a Pro Bowl G for the Texans and now Eagles - amongst other players.

We should have franchised Landry instead of Fred Davis and we should have restructured Atogwe's deal so he wasn't costing us $5 million in cap space and kept him along w/ signing Meriweather and Madieu Williams but as reserves. I mean, in 2012 we paid Atogwe $1.9 million to not play for us and we watched Landry continue to play like a pro bowler for the Jets and then Colts for 2 or was it 3 more seasons before being suspended and ultimately blackballed bc of PEDs.

Better yet, in true hindsight and I think we even talked about this at the time of using both the franchise tag and transition tag that year, one on Davis and the other on Landry. That way, we could have had both on one year prove it deals. 

Archived