Detroit Lions Training Camp Thread

CWood21

How's the Lions' training camp going so far?  Which young players look poised to make the next jump?  How the rookies looking out there?

@Lions017 @CalLionsFan @X_Factor_40 @diehardlionfan @theuntouchable @Sllim Pickens @Karnage84 @BZski @Nnivolcm @BarryTheBest @Superduperman @detroitroar @SimbaWho @rob_shadows @Rockcity2 @Lionized @MortexLion @MrLionzz @davisblack @Typical_Lions @Millenhater @teude @nagahide13 

From what I have read:

• The D line has not practiced for the most part.  Snacks, Daniels, Robinson, Hand, Bryant, and others have not been participating much.
  • Sounds like Kenny Wiggins is winning the LG spot and will start opposite Glasgow.
  • The TEs have been impressive.  Especially TJ, James, and Nauta.  All have made great catches in tough situations, and look to be mismatches for our LBs.
  • Tavai has impressed at LB.  Sounds like he is playing all three LB positions and will likely get a decent amount of time this year.  Its a pick a lot of people, myself included, disliked but sounds like he is fitting into the D and is working well with the other LBs.
  • Sounds like Melvin will be our #2CB although Tabor has impressed some.  I am not sure I feel confident with either out there and hope somehow Oruwariye beats them out before too long. 
  • Stafford sounds like he hasn't always had his head in the game.  Has made some bad INTs opposed to great plays from defenders. 
  • Overall I have heard a lot more positives than negatives from this camp.  No real sleepers having great camps that I have heard of but a few making plays here and there (Fulgham,  Zenner, Kearse, Adams)
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Sounds like Brady whooped em in the first day of joint practices.

That’s always a big concern of mine.  Do the TEs look good because our LBs suck, or our d line looks good because our O line sucks etc.  and then we play a real unit and both sides struggle.  That’s my thought for this season, but hope I’m wrong. 

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

How's the Lions' training camp going so far?  Which young players look poised to make the next jump?  How the rookies looking out there?

Everyone, with the exception of Stafford, looks ready to break out as all pros. The beat writers are even talking up Teez Tabor as a possible break out player.

Stafford is consistently inconsistent. As he always has been.

Like most training camps, there seems to be a lot of optimism coming from reporters.

As far as the rookies:

Hockenson is who I've read the most about. Seems to be consistently making plays in practices. I've read good things about him in the blocking and receiving aspects. I don't remember reading anything negative about his training camp yet. 

Tavai has been up and down. He picked off Stafford a week ago when Stafford didn't see him and reporters still love writing about it. He also gets badly beat occasionally in pass defense when covering quicker RBs. (Funny note: Stafford tried to chase him down and tackle him after the INT, but bounced off like a rag doll.)

I don't remember reading anything about Harris.

Bryant has been injured since one of the earlier practices, but showed some flash while he was playing. 

Oruwariye has taken some reps as the starting outside CB with Slay slowly working his way back into the fold. Seems to having a mostly positive camp in order to do that. 

Fulgham has made some splash down the field plays, but reporters have said outside of our top 3 WRs, no one has really stood out.

Ty Johnson hasn't been mentioned that I've seen.

Lots of positive things to say about Nauta. I've read several times he catches everything that comes his way. Seems reporters have had nothing but good things to say about the top 4 TEs on our depth chart. I wonder if it's due to the bar being set so low last season.

I haven't heard anything about PJ Johnson, even with all of our DTs not being active.

UDFA: Only DT Kevin Strong seems to be having a good camp so far. With our DT depth there's almost no chance he makes the final roster, but hopefully they can sneak him onto the PS. Prized UDFAs Beau Benzschawel and Ryan Pope have been ghosts in camp so far. OL depth was a weakness going into camp, that they haven't been able to make noise there doesn't give me a lot of optimism about their chances to make the roster. 

• Like 1

I don't have a whole lot to add. I think most things have been covered.

I can't blame Stafford for being less focused. I just hope it doesn't bleed into the season. I like being proven wrong so far about Tavai and Hockenson. I don't care if I'm wrong about player evals if they turn out to be good players and help the team win. Logan Thomas seems to be making plays as well as Nauta.

The Patriots are a well-oiled machine with a HOF QB/possible GOAT at the helm. The Lions are installing a new offense and still transitioning their defensive scheme. A number of the starting guys haven't even played. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over Tom Brady running things over in practice. This is the perfect time to make mistakes and test things out. The Lions are getting deeper into new things while the Pats are just shaking off the rust. If the team looks like this in week 3 of the pre-season, then I'll be a bit worried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't have a whole lot to add. I think most things have been covered.

I can't blame Stafford for being less focused. I just hope it doesn't bleed into the season. I like being proven wrong so far about Tavai and Hockenson. I don't care if I'm wrong about player evals if they turn out to be good players and help the team win. Logan Thomas seems to be making plays as well as Nauta.

The Patriots are a well-oiled machine with a HOF QB/possible GOAT at the helm. The Lions are installing a new offense and still transitioning their defensive scheme. A number of the starting guys haven't even played. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over Tom Brady running things over in practice. This is the perfect time to make mistakes and test things out. The Lions are getting deeper into new things while the Pats are just shaking off the rust. If the team looks like this in week 3 of the pre-season, then I'll be a bit worried.

Yeah, the big thing is that none of our top 4 defenders have practiced much with three of them being on the D Line. I am guessing our LBs have more room for error with Snacks, Daniels, and Flowers up front as well as Slay being out there.  Its good for the backups to get these reps, just hope the starters get out there soon and knock off the rust.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, the big thing is that none of our top 4 defenders have practiced much with three of them being on the D Line. I am guessing our LBs have more room for error with Snacks, Daniels, and Flowers up front as well as Slay being out there.  Its good for the backups to get these reps, just hope the starters get out there soon and knock off the rust.

For sure. Flowers knows the defense, so it's better they take it easy on him until he's ready. Snacks knows what to do and there's the contract issue to iron out.

From what I've read, plays have been made on both sides. It's all too early to panic. I believe we went 4-0 in 2008 in the pre-season. That sure worked out for us.

From what I've read and watched it looks like the Patriot way is installed and that thing are going great as far as the first and second round picks go.  Jahlani is looking great and so is Hockenson. Both have made splashes that they can compete at the NFL level.

11 hours ago, MortexLion said:

From what I've read and watched it looks like the Patriot way is installed and that thing are going great as far as the first and second round picks go.  Jahlani is looking great and so is Hockenson. Both have made splashes that they can compete at the NFL level.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one but I've listened to MP talk about the philosophies behind the joint practices. They'll have conversations and because they operate similarly, they usually break around the same time, work on similar drills, have goals for practice around the same time, etc. It never occurred to me before that press conference but it does go to show how deeply the 'Patriots Way' and the team culture goes.

• Like 1