Chargers Training Camp Thread

CWood21

How's Anthony Lynn's 3rd camp going?  Which young players should we be keeping an eye out for?  Which rookie is going to earn a big chunk of PT early on?

@game3525 @kyle21121 @Zappaz @Classic @Boltstrikes @Bearerofnews @DingoLadd @Boltfan7998 @BoltGal @Bolts223 @BoltsFan937 @Bolty @Boltz79 @chargerbuckeye @charger-man @Chargers360 @Duffman57 @JammerHammer21 @Xenos @H.E Pennypacker

So far the best young player in camp as been Forrest Lamp. He is getting time with the 1st team at LG spot. UDFA CB Aaron Springs has had good camp too but he is looking to get in on stacked DB group.

The biggest concern coming out of camp looks to be OT positions and Okung's health. I'm hoping he is ready to week 1 and the rumors he could be out the 1st month aren't true. Trent Scott and Sam Tevi continue to be a big issue from the few joint practice videos I've seen on twitter.

As for our star players, Bosa says he's determined to have career year and has said he doesn't like watching his film last year because it wasn't how he normally plays like. Derwin James continues to be a leader and said having Davis on this defense helps him be a better leader. 

As for the rookies, Tillery just recently got cleared for team activities and looks to be on pace for week 1. He'll be splitting time with Justin Jones(who is also having a good camp; coming in shape at 295 instead of last year where he played at 309) and getting alot of help from Membane. Nasir on the otherhand has been kept out the last few practices due to a sore hammy)

I'm looking forward to Thursday to see how Lamp and the rest of the OL look because it's clearly our weakest position group.

• Like 2

Yeah, from what I have read and seen Lamp has had a good camp so far (although he got killed in a one on one drill against Donald, but he does that to everyone). Keenan and Mike Williams have also had really strong camps. I wouldn't be surprise if Keenan has a career year and Williams breaks the 1000 yard mark. 

You guys, I don't think Lamp looked all that good against the Cardinals in pass protection. We really need him to shore up the LG position because Feeney was a dumpster fire there last season.  Speaking of Feeney he looked alot better at Center than at any guard posistion, really like what Lynn is doing with the guys.

As for the on the bubble/draft guys, Chris Peace looked well but will be long shot considering with how many DBs we'll keep and all the talent in front of him on DL. Facyson needs to be replaced because he was a walking penalty.  Our CBs look set with Trevor and Casey and King in the slot, it'll be interesting to see if Michael Davis can earn a spot over those guys because everything I've read of him this off-season is that he is having a terrific camp. 

Telesco looks to have yet another reach at the 3rd round with Trey Pipkins, who looked terrible all game. Drue Tranquil on the other hand looks like nice player who had a good game against the Cardinals. Stick looks better than Cardale Jones already and I hope this is the last preseason we see Cardale on this team. Can't wait to see if Tillery or Nasir will see any time next week as we need those two to be hits if we're gonna improve on last season. All in all and exciting team we've got here boys and it's only the pre-season.

On August 10, 2019 at 7:47 PM, Classic said:

You guys, I don't think Lamp looked all that good against the Cardinals in pass protection. We really need him to shore up the LG position because Feeney was a dumpster fire there last season.  Speaking of Feeney he looked alot better at Center than at any guard posistion, really like what Lynn is doing with the guys.

As for the on the bubble/draft guys, Chris Peace looked well but will be long shot considering with how many DBs we'll keep and all the talent in front of him on DL. Facyson needs to be replaced because he was a walking penalty.  Our CBs look set with Trevor and Casey and King in the slot, it'll be interesting to see if Michael Davis can earn a spot over those guys because everything I've read of him this off-season is that he is having a terrific camp. 

Telesco looks to have yet another reach at the 3rd round with Trey Pipkins, who looked terrible all game. Drue Tranquil on the other hand looks like nice player who had a good game against the Cardinals. Stick looks better than Cardale Jones already and I hope this is the last preseason we see Cardale on this team. Can't wait to see if Tillery or Nasir will see any time next week as we need those two to be hits if we're gonna improve on last season. All in all and exciting team we've got here boys and it's only the pre-season.

I'm not as worried about Lamp since he's still shaking off that two year rust and has looked good in practice against someone like AD. He'll look a lot better with Rivers instead of Cardale Jones and Stick. Pipken is worrying because he was at least a year away from being ready (this was supposed to be his redshirt year) but now has to be more involved because of Okung's condition. You can see it in practice that it's a big leap from D2 to the NFL ie. His mental game and lack of NFL functional strength. Throwing him into the fire this early may not end well. I'm almost tempted to have them find a way to IR him if we didn't have depth issue.

Early prognosis seems to be 6-8 week recovery, so roughly a Week 7 return is possible - with the kind of physical freak that DJ is, sooner wouldn't surprise me, but I hope the team errs on the side of not rushing him back and risking future injury.  Tranquil's going to earn his rookie pay, that's for sure.

Edit: Well, so much for that.  The post-surgery prognosis is a 3-4 month recovery.  See you in Philcember, Derwin.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, The LBC said:

Early prognosis seems to be 6-8 week recovery, so roughly a Week 7 return is possible - with the kind of physical freak that DJ is, sooner wouldn't surprise me, but I hope the team errs on the side of not rushing him back and risking future injury.  Tranquil's going to earn his rookie pay, that's for sure.

Edit: Well, so much for that.  The post-surgery prognosis is a 3-4 month recovery.  See you in Philcember, Derwin.

Was there ever any doubt it wasn't going to be the worst case scenario? 

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting decisions coming up with final cuts...

Cardale Jones vs. Easton Stick for QB3 - I have Cardale making the roster and Stick to the PS

Pope vs Newsome for RB3 - This is tough but I'm thinking Pope beats out Detrez here

Scott vs Patten vs Davis - Scott's done enough to make the team and I think Davis beats out Patten due to Geremy's ST abililities

Peace vs Lanier - Gonna go with Peace here but its close.  I think Peace is a little more dynamic and Lanier is basically Rochelle.  

Pickett vs Teamer - I have Pickett here with Roderick headed to the PS

Broughton vs McGill - Gonna go with Mcgill here and Broughton to the PS

• Like 1

Some interesting guys getting cut.

Shady has a lot of connections to the staff (Was brought to buffalo by Lynn when he was the RB coach).

Malik Jefferson is the other interesting one.  He was aparently the FO's guy last year when Richard Smith banged the table for Nwosu.  He seems to fit the style of Will LB we like and would be a very interesting developmental piece for TD to work with.  I'd take him over Brown probably.

• Like 1

Should have kept Cardale, Stick doesn’t have an NFL arm. 

I wonder if McCoy or any vet RB would be interested in us or Dallas. Gordon and Zeke (Bell last year) are obviously trying to increase the value of RB’s in the league.  A vet signing would undermine that. Seems like it would be akin to crossing the picket line