Hawks Preseason Talk

animaltested

Figure this could be the place for all Pre-Season related talk.

One thing I'm looking forward to watching over the next few weeks is the TE position. Seattle could realistically go 4 deep here, considering Hollister turning heads thus far. Dissly sounds like he is on the right track returning from injury, which is awesome. Dickson potentially needing knee surgery is troubling. The offensive really found its groove once he returned from injury. I think there are going to be a lot of targets underneath for the TE's (and RB's too). Lockett, DK, Moore and Jennings are all legit deep threats, and Russell is dynamite attacking deep. Could open a lot of lanes underneath. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Is Metcalf going to play?  I saw he was questionable and might not play or be limited.

Fieldgulls has him suiting up. Probably wont see many snaps. I'm fine with this since Geno is starting, and Paxton Lynch is going to get like 75% of snaps tomorrow. Also, gives guys like Jennings, Jazz and Ursula more reps. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animaltested said:

Fieldgulls has him suiting up. Probably wont see many snaps. I'm fine with this since Geno is starting, and Paxton Lynch is going to get like 75% of snaps tomorrow. Also, gives guys like Jennings, Jazz and Ursula more reps. 

Good points.  I'm just excited to see Metcalf play in actual games.  He has looked great in camp flying up and down the field when he's been out there.

Post First Day thoughts:

Overall: Not a bad first PS game, especially given all impact starters being out, and many important depth pieces also sitting out. A lot of room to improve though.

Rookies:

Marquis Blair - Definitely made an opening statement. Brilliant open field tackle in the RZ, dropped the boom at the LOS, and made an outstanding backside tackle beyond the LOS. 

Cody Barton - Sideline to sideline player, all over the field, shooting gaps. Great first taste. Dude looks legit. 

DK Metcalf - Was a few inches short of having a ridiculous night. Will be remembered for what could have been. But, he was open, and made his presence felt. 

Ugo Amadi - Love his versatility. Played up in the box, played safety, returned punts. He is going to be a fan favorite. 

Positions:

QB: Geno looked dreadful. His pocket awareness makes Rookie Russell Wilson look like Peyton Manning. Paxton had some spark, enjoyed his quick reads, and he got the ball out nicely, and put it in spots his WR could make plays on. Granted, against 3rd stringers. Season is DOA if anything happens to Russ though.

RB: Penny looked closely to Penny from late in the season. Hopefully reports of his improvements come to fruition. Bo ran hard, and Xavier was ok considering he was picked up like Tuesday. Not sure what to make of Bellore. Worth a roster spot? IDK. Really hope Homer can come back next week.

WR: Jazz Ferguson made a statement. Wow. PCJS have a long history of UDFA WR making impacts (Baldwin, Kearse, Mathews etc). Lets see if he can replicate his success next week. Urusla looked like baby Doug on that reception down the middle. Can't teach that awareness. Really wish Jennings could done something. Jazz, Ursula, Jennings and Wright are essentially fighting for one spot.

TE: Not much to say here, considering 3 of the top 4 TE were out. 

OL: Was pretty putrid. But considering 3 starters sat out, and Fant came out early, not too surprising. Hopefully Phil Haynes can avoid the PUP, and Jordan Simmons can come back. Interior could be really ugly if Iupati cant go, or something happens to Fluker. Keep them in bubble wrap til week 1.

DL: There is certainly a lot of depth, but not sure if there is enough talent. Mingo looked intriguing at Edge, Jacob Martin picked up were he left off last year. Would like to have seen more from Rasheem Green. Seattle needs him to step up this year. I liked what I saw from UDFA Bryan Mone. Not sure there is space for him on the roster (pre-injuries). 

LB: Absolute strength of the team. Calitro looks like completely different player this year, dude straight up balled last night. I cant imagine Seattle keeps 7 LBs. Someone really good is going to get cut. 

DB: Held their own. Shaq, Tre, King (proposed starting three) all made nice plays. Neiko Thorpe is a fantastic gunner, so his spot is secured. Denver really couldn't attack downfield tonight, so hard to say how well the secondary did as a whole. 

Special Teams was a major focus this offseason, and it showed. The coverage units looked nasty last night. Meyers sticking two 50+ FG was exciting to see after the snafu at kicker Seattle has had the last few years. 

Blair looked really good.  Metcalf is going to be a heck of a weapon in the regular season.  The bombs Wilson will throw to him will be so fun to watch.  Also excited for Penny.  Should have a great running game again with Carson and Penny in the backfield.  Offense is looking really promising.

15 hours ago, showtime said:

Safety depth looking to be awesome. Tedric played pretty well last year considering who he was replacing. Lano played well to end the season (hopefully he can come back from the hip injury), and of coarse Blair and Amadi. Kinda wondering if McDougald is quietly a cut candidate. I hope not but still something to consider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I didn't watch it, but what are your guys take on the Sea vs Min game?

I only managed to catch a bit of the game.  Adam Thielen absolutely torched the Seahawks secondary.  He probably had like 80 yards on one drive - long catch and huge penalty. 

Russell Wilson's timing was a bit off.  He threw at least three in-completions that were pretty standard for him to make and he was just off.

• Like 1

Preseason game two was a step back from last week. Units that were strong last week, struggled this week.

The GOOD:

1st team offense looked fantastic. Moved the ball nicely. Russell and Lockett picked up where they left off last year. Jarron Brown got involved. Chris Carson is in mid season form. The offensive line was really good. Russell had clean pockets to throw from, had time to let WR find openings. The two drives ended only because of miss throws (overthrew a wide open Jarron Brown, dirt'ed a ball to CC that would have been a 1st down. 

Jason Meyers is good.

Poona Ford was a force. What a freaking stud.

Will Dissly played and didn't get hurt.

Homer's blitz pickup.

Amadi's hit.

The BAD: 

Pretty much everything else....

1st team defense was … eh. Granted, missing KJ, Bobby and McDoug, but still, they should have performed better. Shaq and Tre played poorly (Tre needs to stop grabbing so much. My goodness what a joke. Pete needs to get through to him about that). Outside of Poona, the D-line was pretty ho hum. Like I said last week, the depth is there, but talent is missing. They need guys to step up (Martin, Green, Mingo) but nobody really is.

The Secondary on the whole was a flop. Tre and Shaq both got beat bad (Although Tre would have made a fantastic play if he didn't hook Thielen arms on the PI. Also, I like Pete, was sure Adam pushed off on the long completion). The backups were abused even more. King and Taylor especially. 

The Rookies (Barton and Blair) blew alignments/ assignments again. The two worst blows (Mattiesons long run - Barton did not shift outside on the weakside of a heavy look, then got caught inside, and washed out; Blair was probably responsible on that Wide Open TD in the RZ) were attributed to them. 2nd and 3rd team units on the whole were consistently lost on alignments.  A lot of late shifting.

Special Teams Coverage was pretty awful. Big step back from last week. 

The Ugly:

Injuries - Ansah + Ipauti had set backs. Blair left the game with back spasms. Jordan Simmons is probably headed to the IR, Phil Haynes is probably going to the PUP, DK is getting knee surgery. To be honest, I would pull every important starter for the next two games (ala the Rams).  Seems like 2019 is going to be ones of the yeaIRs.

• Like 1

First drive of the game, Wilson had a receiver wide open (defensive back fell down) and overthrew him by so much.  He made some really nice throws on the TD drive.  Some nice running plays in there as well.  Excited about the Carson/Penny RB duo.  Nice running by C. J. Prosise as well.