Giants unofficial depth chart released

ny92mike

https://www.giants.com/news/giants-release-first-unofficial-depth-chart-of-2019

quick thoughts;  Wide Outs look thin with the injuries and potential suspension of Tate.  Depth at tackle is frightening, actually the entire offensive line roster appears to lack depth.  Is Jon Haiapio broken ankle completely healed?  Haven't heard or find much about this.  Just looks like an injury away from disaster. 

I'm more optimistic on defense, as the rookie class looks solid.  Look to be starting two first round rookies in Baker and Lawrence.  I like the front 3, hoping that Tomlinson isn't the starting NT but the chart is just listing them all as DL, was hoping to see DE & NT titles here.  Makes me thing they are still tweaking the final roster here.  

Been waiting for Goodson to find a starting role, but that doesn't look the case as undrafted Tae Davis.  Not a bad player just hasn't done enough to be labeled a starter imo.

Man, I'm not optimistic about the season, but there are plenty of things I'll be looking for Thursday night.

In no particular order:

Daniel Jones, of course

How are hopefully improved right side of the offensive line looks-

I think our D-line can be sneaky good this year

Is Lorenzo Carter able to take the next step and become a certified pass rusher

Can Oshane Ximines be a situational pass rusher

Is Baker ready to start in the NFL

'

Also on a note, I think its interesting that Tae Davis is listed as a starter and not Goodson.

A few things I found interesting:

-We actually have a moneybacker role, currently occupied by Tae Davis. His resume would seem to fit the bill, as a safety convert to LB, but his play last year doesn't. He was lost a lot. We'll see what happens there.

-BJ Hill, Dalvin Tomlinson, Dexter Lawrence, Tae Davis, Lorenzo Carter, Deandre Baker, and Jabrill Peppers are all penciled in as starters on defense and are all on their rookie contracts. That's a crazy young defense.

-Kareem Martin will not last long as 1st team SAM backer. I have to imagine Xman and Golden will both be above him sometime soon.

-I knew one of Love or Ballentine would transition to safety, and it looks like it is Love. I like the move. We have a logjam with young CBs and Love doesn't fit what Bettcher wants out of his nickel backs. FS is a good spot for him. He's heady and athletic and smart enough to perform well there and should learn a lot from Bethea. Seems almost like they are grooming him to take over when Bethea leaves, as Love is playing every secondary position in practice from what I've heard.

-Strange that there are 2 TE positions, and stranger still is who is grouped together. I would have imagine that Engram, Dickerson, and Conrad would be TE1 and Ellison and Simonson would be the other, but Simonson is the backup to Engram. I guess there really is no one with Engram's skillset on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised, although I expected it last year and it didn't happen, to see Engram line up wide a lot more. Shurmur finally has 3 TEs with skillsets he desires that can play (Ellison, Conrad, Simonson).

-Paul Perkins is going to make this team as the 3rd RB, with Penny following up behind him as 4th RB/FB.

-Peppers is a good PR and Latimer is a good KR. I hope Latimer can stay healthy. He is a good player who will get a lot of opportunities. 

27 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

A few things I found interesting:

-We actually have a moneybacker role, currently occupied by Tae Davis. His resume would seem to fit the bill, as a safety convert to LB, but his play last year doesn't. He was lost a lot. We'll see what happens there.

-BJ Hill, Dalvin Tomlinson, Dexter Lawrence, Tae Davis, Lorenzo Carter, Deandre Baker, and Jabrill Peppers are all penciled in as starters on defense and are all on their rookie contracts. That's a crazy young defense.

-Kareem Martin will not last long as 1st team SAM backer. I have to imagine Xman and Golden will both be above him sometime soon.

-I knew one of Love or Ballentine would transition to safety, and it looks like it is Love. I like the move. We have a logjam with young CBs and Love doesn't fit what Bettcher wants out of his nickel backs. FS is a good spot for him. He's heady and athletic and smart enough to perform well there and should learn a lot from Bethea. Seems almost like they are grooming him to take over when Bethea leaves, as Love is playing every secondary position in practice from what I've heard.

-Strange that there are 2 TE positions, and stranger still is who is grouped together. I would have imagine that Engram, Dickerson, and Conrad would be TE1 and Ellison and Simonson would be the other, but Simonson is the backup to Engram. I guess there really is no one with Engram's skillset on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised, although I expected it last year and it didn't happen, to see Engram line up wide a lot more. Shurmur finally has 3 TEs with skillsets he desires that can play (Ellison, Conrad, Simonson).

-Paul Perkins is going to make this team as the 3rd RB, with Penny following up behind him as 4th RB/FB.

-Peppers is a good PR and Latimer is a good KR. I hope Latimer can stay healthy. He is a good player who will get a lot of opportunities. 

I always liked Rod Smith in Dallas.  That will be an interesting battle for 3rd rb