What if Mike Vick never got arrested?

Elky

Mike Vick was a highlight reel player with very little substance.   Very fun to watch, and made some unbelievable plays, but at the end of the day, was likely never going to take a team all that far.   I mean, sure, if prime Michael Vick was on a team like the 2006 Ravens with a dominant defense, I think he absolutely couldve won a championship, but not because he was a great QB.     He was an average at best passer (yes, he did make some unbelievable passes, but the consistency was never there), and while his running skills were fun to watch and gave teams headaches, he wasnt unstoppable and was never clutch.

Bottom line, if Vick was never arrested,  I think he wouldve stayed with Atlanta for another 4 or 5 years and then went to another team, but I dont think he would be viewed as a better player than he already is, nor do I think his career trajectory wouldve changed much.     He would just have some additional bulk stats, but his efficiency would remain largely the same.

I honestly think Vick staying in the league wouldve affected Matt Ryan's career more than his own, because Ryan wouldnt have ended up in Atlanta.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Mike Vick was a highlight reel player with very little substance.   Very fun to watch, and made some unbelievable plays, but at the end of the day, was likely never going to take a team all that far.   I mean, sure, if prime Michael Vick was on a team like the 2006 Ravens with a dominant defense, I think he absolutely couldve won a championship, but not because he was a great QB.     He was an average at best passer (yes, he did make some unbelievable passes, but the consistency was never there), and while his running skills were fun to watch and gave teams headaches, he wasnt unstoppable and was never clutch.

Bottom line, if Vick was never arrested,  I think he wouldve stayed with Atlanta for another 4 or 5 years and then went to another team, but I dont think he would be viewed as a better player than he already is, nor do I think his career trajectory wouldve changed much.     He would just have some additional bulk stats, but his efficiency would remain largely the same.

I honestly think Vick staying in the league wouldve affected Matt Ryan's career more than his own, because Ryan wouldnt have ended up in Atlanta.

Pretty much this.

His highlights were incredible, and he had a phenomenal arm, but was only a mediocre QB.

I think the legend of Mike Vick is also elevated by how unstoppable he was in Madden for a time.  Not even kidding. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2019 at 12:50 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Agreed. Atlanta is better off IMO that he did get arrested. Ryan a much better player.

On 8/7/2019 at 12:50 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

This pretty much says it all. The Falcons wouldn't have been in line for another QB until say, 2012. When Andrew Luck would have been a possibility. Also would have never gotten Dimitroff or Smith so would have been stuck never having Julio Jones. Roddy White would have never broken out in 2007. The team as a whole would have sucked for years until 2012.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

This pretty much says it all. The Falcons wouldn't have been in line for another QB until say, 2012. When Andrew Luck would have been a possibility. Also would have never gotten Dimitroff or Smith so would have been stuck never having Julio Jones. Roddy White would have never broken out in 2007. The team as a whole would have sucked for years until 2012.

I dont know about sucked...but likely would've hovered in the 7 to 9 wins per year range most of those years...depending on the quality of the team around Vick.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont know about sucked...but likely would've hovered in the 7 to 9 wins per year range most of those years...depending on the quality of the team around Vick.

Probably would have been pretty terrible some years, tbh. Matt Ryan is the best thing to happen to the Falcons.

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

Probably would have been pretty terrible some years, tbh. Matt Ryan is the best thing to happen to the Falcons.

Vick was good enough for at least 4 wins per season IMO from his own playmaking ability alone.     Beyond that, it was all about the team around him.  

And yes, what happened to Vick was a blessing for the Falcons.