What if the Vikings resigned Daunte Culpepper?

Danger

For the Vikings, it does not change much, since Culpepper has never been the same player after the 2004 season, so I do not think he would have a big difference for the 2006 season for the Vikings with him or Brad Johnson.

He probably would have been cut after the 2006 season or at the latest, the 2007 season, so the Vikings would probably have had the same seasons in 2008 and 2009.

If Drew Brees would have signed with Miami, it would have changed a lot for many players and coach.As for the Saints might have taken a QB with the second overall pick instead or maybe make a trade for Tony Romo and many other things would have changed for many players, franchise and coach

I don't think this scenario would make it any more likely Miami signs Brees. They passed hin up because they didn't trust his shoulder, not because they felt Culpepper was better.

Culpepper definitely continues his regression and gets released shortly after.

I've always looked at Daunte as a guy who was "emotionally" kind of weak.  Physically, he was a beast (other than his tiny hands), and mentally he had a good grasp of the game.  It was the emotions that seemed to be his downfall.  When things were going well to start the game, Daunte usually played very well.  When there were challenges early, however, he seemed to fold and be unable to recover. 

A lot of people speculate that his career started downhill after the injury, but I have always thought that he never really recovered from the embarrassment of the "Love Boat" scandal, of which he was a part.  We played 4-5 games before he was injured that year, and his play was absolutely brutal during those games.  The previous year, he was playing at nearly an MVP level.  What changed in the offseason?  It's not like he was old and just fell off a cliff physically.  No, IMO, we didn't lose our QB when Daunte suffered that injury.  We lost him when he was called out in the media after that party on the lake.  Even if he hadn't gotten hurt, I wonder how long he would have lasted playing as poorly as he was playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the bigger question for a Vikings QB is what if Teddy Bridgewater never gets hurt?

I think it means Philly doesn't win the Superbowl in 2017. 

Maybe the Patriots get their 7th Lombardi Trophy?

I feel like this needs an explanation.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the bigger question for a Vikings QB is what if Teddy Bridgewater never gets hurt?

I think it means Philly doesn't win the Superbowl in 2017. 

Maybe the Patriots get their 7th Lombardi Trophy?

If Teddy was never injured, Philly wouldn't have won the Super Bowl in 2017.  WE would have!   :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Culpepper was nothing without Moss. Essentially, randy moss back  then or for most of his tenure was like a great varsity player  going against JV teams. 

If the throwing windows weren't there due to double teams someone else woyld be open.

Explains why he had his best season in 04 with Moss injured for half the season and his best receiver being Nate Burleson for the majority of the year.  And why he played on a level that year that would have won MVP any other season but 2004 Peyton Manning just happened to be even more historically great

22 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Explains why he had his best season in 04 with Moss injured for half the season and his best receiver being Nate Burleson for the majority of the year.  And why he played on a level that year that would have won MVP any other season but 2004 Peyton Manning just happened to be even more historically great

You're right I forgot moss was injured that year all I looked at was the 13 tds. Burleson did have his career year. 

Edited by thebestever6