Texans @ Green Bay "Dont Get Hurt Bowl"

Leader

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Also, Vitale plays a big part here. Even I was surprised to see how often he was playing single back with the one's during the two-minute drill and other sets. Typically that's where JW would be, but Vitale may be the preferred choice. 

Love/Hate with this kind of thing.

I hate sets that don't make you respect the run, at least in principle.  But in practice I don't think Williams is much better back there in the shotgun on 3rd and 7 if you hand the ball off to him vs Vitale.  either the defense mis-played it and don't have the numbers to stop a surprise 3rd down run, or they have enough and they rally to tackle either guy.

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Going to depend on how DW plays. Right now, he's been the center of gripes by LaFleur so it doesn't sound like he's taking the job as of yet, but a strong preseason coupled with JW's hammy may alter the mood. 

Also, Vitale plays a big part here. Even I was surprised to see how often he was playing single back with the one's during the two-minute drill and other sets. Typically that's where JW would be, but Vitale may be the preferred choice. 

Dexter Williams is the kind of guy that can piss you off real quick if you're trying to keep things serious and intense. That's not really his thing. 

I hate Danny Vitale. 

• Like 1

Just now, Norm said:

Go on please. I'm curious now.

FBs are for football hipsters.

Every football coach who thinks he's smarter than he is, is sitting in his office going, "What if we had a guy who was a worse runner than our RBs, a worse receiving target than our WRs and TEs, and a worse blocker than our TEs? The defense wouldn't know the best way to guard him. Think of all the CREATIVE ways we could attack them." Despite not taking into consideration that he can't get open against anybody in the back seven and gets tackled by DBs and LBs alike. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

FBs are for football hipsters.

Every football coach who thinks he's smarter than he is, is sitting in his office going, "What if we had a guy who was a worse runner than our RBs, a worse receiving target than our WRs and TEs, and a worse blocker than our TEs? The defense wouldn't know the best way to guard him. Think of all the CREATIVE ways we could attack them." Despite not taking into consideration that he can't get open against anybody in the back seven and gets tackled by DBs and LBs alike. 

Literally laughed out loud at the quote part. I guess I never really thought about it that way but it isn't inaccurate when you think about it.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Danny Vitale was black and went to USC, this fanbase would want him cut for a more athletic TE/RB.

Agreed but someone is going to blow up on you for that implication for sure haha.

Edit: I'm not going to lie I kind of half a soft spot for fullbacks but it's guilty pleasure not that I think they're amazing game changers. 

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Danny Vitale was black and went to USC, this fanbase would want him cut for a more athletic TE/RB.

This is a weird take considering how well Vitale did at the combine.  Among all FB/RB/TE at the combine that year, he finished:

• 3rd in the vertical jump
  • 1st in the bench
  • 6th in the broad jump
  • 1st in the shuttle

Who is this much more athletic TE/RB that everyone would be clamoring to cut him for?  Yeah he ran 4.6 and his cone was average, but other than that the dude put on a show.  I'm not sure why you picked Vitale specifically to focus your ire on, because he absolutely has the athleticism and receiving ability to actually be a weapon for the offense.  I get your overall point about FBs, but there are cases that's not true and this certainly has the potential to be one.

• Like 2