Madden 20 Buffalo Bills Franchise - 2023 Season

JBURGE

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
14 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Without further ado, with the 1st overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select..... 

Wesley Killian, QB, Wisconsin

This is a pretty disappointing #1 overall pick imo.  I know he's a QB and that he has the hidden dev trait, but he's 70 ovr or under on all types other than Scrambler (which is the worst QB type).  He also has sub 90 throw power.  If he has only Star development you're going to be replacing him in a season or two.  

It will all depend like you said on the dev. If he is a star, he will come along slowly, and yeah I will probably replace him for the dream QB prospect. My team will struggle again next year, so taking a QB again isn't out of the question. But if he is a superstar and can progress in a year or 2 to an X factor, he will be a 90+ in 3 seasons. Unfortunately there weren't any other QB options, and I wanted to get a QB year 1. 

The most important thing for me is the dev. If he is a superstar or x factor it will work. 

12 hours ago, JBURGE said:

With the 51st overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Joe Sandridge, OT, Arizona State

Dang, 93 strength is awesome.  I'd move him to Guard and upgrade him as a power blocker.  

He will be playing RT for me. I like tackles that can pass block, and with that being his strength I'm not going to turn him into something else. I will be able to get guards down the line, they're way easier to find and draft. Strength plays into LEs being a little bigger too. 

With the 65th overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Michael Younger, TE, South Carolina

Looks like another good pick.  I've been frustrated with how 1 dimensional the TEs are in this year's madden though.  Guys can either block or they are receivers, they don't seem to ever be both.  His block ratings are in the 60s which are actually solid for a receiving TE.  

I love this pick. Every draft I've had so far has junk TEs past the 1st round, so I made it a priority to take him. If I had to guess he will only have star dev, and considering how slow TEs progress in madden, I might need to focus train him to get him to where I want him to be. 

With the 78th overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Evan Beal, S, Indiana State

Sub 90 speed and can't tackle.  He's going to need some work.  Looks like a career backup to me.  

With the 82nd overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Jay Elliot, DT, Washington State

77 strength is almost unplayable at DT.  66 OVR with normal dev, this guy might not make your roster.  

These two guys suck. I checked out the other safety I wanted who went 1 spot before me and he has quick dev :( They looked solid as prospects, but honestly whatever, they're 3rd rounders. They will be depth and we'll move on in 4 years. 

With the 108th overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Kendall Kerr, WR, Wyoming

This looks like a great pick.  Good speed and hidden dev.  You can probably develop him into a solid #2 WR after a few years.  

I only drafted this guy because I didn't get that safety, so that worked out. He sucks but I will give him slot duties this year so he can develop a little bit. The roster won't compete this year, so it won't hurt. Just like the RB will get 3rd down work with Singletary getting early downs, though at mid season if Singletary isn't doing much, I will play the rookie. I am almost considering just playing May. 

With the 129th overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Bryan Halladay, FB, BYU

Do you use a FB?  I usually just carry 4 TEs.  The FBs in the game are usually garbage.  Every TE is usually better than any FB.  

I don't when I play, but I like having one for sim purposes. 

Thank you MKnight for the feedback and comments, makes this worth it! 

I likely won't have an update until Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Knowing absolutely nothing about Josh Allen's ratings....Was it at all tempting to keep Allen and trade your #1 pick to build a better team around him?

No. In a sim Josh Allen probably would be fine, but a few things.....

• his accuracy is horrible, so when I user I will hate him. It was so hard doing the training because he missed a few crosses badly. 
  • I don't like him as a player, and I will not enjoy a rebuild where my focal player isn't someone I care about.
  • He is a star development. He likely will not progress to an X Factor, and even if he does, see above. 
  • Trading down from #1 probably nets me a late 1st and a 2021 1st in this game because Madden doesn't understand trade value. Not worth it.

I picked a team where I knew I would move on from the QB. My pass/run split when I play is probably 70/30, so I want to have a QB that I like. 

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 2

@MKnight82

I am also willing to surrender a few overall points for the QB for his athleticism. He has 85 speed and 80s accel, agility and break tackle. That isn't something you can progress. He may be a 69 Field General or Strong Arm, instead of a 74/75 that would might get for a typical #1 overall QB in this game, BUT I am willing to lose 1 year (on a 21 year old I may add) for athletic traits. 

I plan on developing the Field General and Strong Arm, and expect his throw power to be 92/93 after a couple years, which is serviceable. 

Maybe I should have prefaced before I picked him. If he wasn't the athlete that he was, ie if he didn't own the combine, I wouldn't have drafted him 1st overall. I would have done what @holt_bruce81 said, trade #1 away and get an extra couple picks, and go after a QB next year. It's either I get the guy who has the arm talent and you are a pocket passer, or you draft the athlete and develop the rest. 

The more I think about it the happier I am with the pick. If he is a star dev I will be really bummed

Edited by JBURGE

5 hours ago, JBURGE said:

No. In a sim Josh Allen probably would be fine, but a few things.....

• his accuracy is horrible, so when I user I will hate him. It was so hard doing the training because he missed a few crosses badly. 
  • I don't like him as a player, and I will not enjoy a rebuild where my focal player isn't someone I care about.
  • He is a star development. He likely will not progress to an X Factor, and even if he does, see above. 
  • Trading down from #1 probably nets me a late 1st and a 2021 1st in this game because Madden doesn't understand trade value. Not worth it.

I picked a team where I knew I would move on from the QB. My pass/run split when I play is probably 70/30, so I want to have a QB that I like. 

They lowered value of first overall that much? Last year you could trade down to 2nd or 3rd overall and pick up their 1st in the next draft... Very rarely the CPU wouldn't do it and you'd have to go down to maybe 5th overall at the lowest but you could always stay in the top 5 and still get a future 1st.

15 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

They lowered value of first overall that much? Last year you could trade down to 2nd or 3rd overall and pick up their 1st in the next draft... Very rarely the CPU wouldn't do it and you'd have to go down to maybe 5th overall at the lowest but you could always stay in the top 5 and still get a future 1st.

I didn't try, but when I look at the proposed offers they are bad. I don't often do manual trades when trading draft picks

If I wasn't taking the QB I likely would have tried

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

As someone obviously very much into the franchise mode of the series, how does this one stack up? I haven't played since Madden 18.

It hasn't changed much, but last year they introduced a new progression system where you no longer upgrade individual stats, but position archtypes and it will upgrade random stats under that archtype. This year they added the Superstar and X Factor (zone) abilities. Those two together definitely improved the franchise experience, but don't expect much else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Ah I see the old meme of Madden Trades is still alive and well.

In another franchise I couldn't trade Myles Garrett in 2020 for a rookie right tackle that was 77 overall and a star development. 

On 08/08/2019 at 12:47 AM, JBURGE said:
BILLS 2020 DRAFT CLASS
PICK   NAME AGE HT WT SCHOOL COMBINE RATING
1.1 QB WESLEY KILIAN 21 6'3 221 WISCONSIN 6.7 73 ?
1.19 OT DEVON MCBRIDE 21 6.4 306 OREGON 6.8 77 ?
2.1 HB CORTEZ MAY 22 5.9 199 MAINE 6.7 71 N
2.19 OT JOE SANDRIDGE 21 6.6 312 ARIZONA STATE 6.8 74 ?
3.1 TE MICHAEL YOUNGER 21 6.4 268 SOUTH CAROLINA 7.0 75 ?
3.14 S EVAN BEAL 21 6.1 208 INDIANA STATE 5.8 70 N
3.18 DT JAY ELLIOT 21 6.2 305 WASHINGTON STATE 5.8 66 N
4.12 WR KENDALL KERR 23 5.1 196 WYOMING 6.3 64 ?
4.24 FB BRYAN HALLADAY 23 6.3 245 BYU 6.8 70 N
5.1 K WYATT CURTIS 23 6.3 194 PRINCETON 1.2 70 N
6.1 K DILLON BUTLER 23 5.11 210 INDIANA 2.2 69 N

I'll go into this some more tomorrow. This draft took almost 3 hours and I'm beat. 

Overall, I am happy with this draft, but of course we will have to see the dev of these guys before I have real judgement. If all of the hidden dev guys are stars then I will be disappointed, because having 3 picks in the top 33 with no superstars would be a huge letdown. 

How were some of the other guys on my board that I missed?

• CB Ontarius Pearson, drafted #9 by the Cardinals, is a 72 ovr hidden dev. 
  • LT Denton Mooney, drafted #11 by the Texans, is a 77 hidden. Really damn good player already
  • WR Trent Parson, drafted #16 by the Raifers, is a 74 ovr hidden. 
  • C Eli Armstead, drafted #18 by the Ravens, is a 74 ovr normal. 
  • DE Michael Rountree, drafted #21 by the Cowboys, is a 72 oivr normal. 
  • WR Leon Carswell, drafted #25 by the Redskins, is a 70 overall hidden. 
  • DE Arsenio Baxter, drafted #26 by the Seahawks, is a 71 ovr normal.  COnsider myself lucky for them taking him 1 spot ahead of me!
  • S Harvey Dupree, drafted one spot ahead of me in the 3rd by the Falcons, is a 68 ovr hidden. Slightly lower ovr than Beal who I drafted, but better dev. 

That's enough of a draft review. Let's take a look at the UDFA class and fill the roster out. 

2020 Pre-Season

So I signed a few guys, but no one of note. I didn't see any UDFA hidden dev guys, nor any solid cuts on Week 4 of the Pre-Season

• Like 1

2020 Season

So I am going to be pretty damn conservative this year again when setting my goal. Last year I had 3 wins, and I would expect something pretty similar this year, but hopefully a few more wins. The #1 picm isn't the goal - I need to win a few games this year. The goal will be 4 wins. 

I will be focus training:

• QB Wesley Kilian
  • LT Devon McBride
  • RT Joe Sandrigde

Boring to do the two tackles, but since the pass rush is so good in this game, I would like to have two good protectors as early as possible. Plus I didn't draft any good defenders unfortunately. 

81LVS4wh.jpg

So we have a new QB, new bookend tackles, and a new 3rd WR. Since I won't be a competitive team, rookie WR Kerr is getting WR3 and primary slot duties over Robert Foster and Isaiah McKenzie. Rookie TE Younger will get TE1 over Knox and Tyler Kroft. I also figured that since May is only 3 overall ponts behind Singletary that he would start. On the OL, I slid Dion Dawkins inside to LG, Cody Ford moves over to RG, all to accomodate the new tackles. 

kHea8p7h.jpg

The defense is a lot more boring. No new faces outside FS Evan Beal, who is probably a future 3rd safety. Ed Oliver and Tremaine Edmunds will continue to develop. I'm still not sure how long I will keep them. 

As of now, this is my draft capital:

BILLS PICKS
1st 5th
1st via KC 5th via NYJ
2nd 6th
3rd 7th via MIN

I would like to add a few more mid round picks, so we will if that will be possible. WR John Brown, DT Phillips, DEs Trent Murphy and Shaq Lawson will all be placed on the trade block to guage their value. 

The priorities to upgrade this year are, in rough order:

1. Defensive End / Pass Rushers
  2. Safety
  3. Corner
  4. Wide Receiver
  5. Interior OL
  6. Running Back

Depending on what the hidden devs end up being, and what the draft class looks like, this will shift around. 

Next stop, mid-season. 

Edited by JBURGE

2020 Mid-Season Break

This is a 2 week break. I have an early Bye, so I am pausing at week 8 to maybe make some trades happen, and also at week 9 to post mid-season stats and updates on the hidden devs of the rookies.

In week 8, we are sitting at 1-5, so I am going to be a seller. The core 4 guys I will look to move (not all) are the same ones I listed before..... 

TRADE
BILLS RECEIVE SEAHAWKS RECEIVE
  2021 3rd   WR JOHN BROWN 80
OG C GOSSETT 67      

Seahawks are a playoff team and their WRs suck. The OG was a throw in to make the cap space work for them. 

TRADE
BILLS RECEIVE BUCS RECEIVE
  2021 2nd   DE SHAQ LAWSON 81
        2021 7th  

Shaw Lawson is in his contract year, and I'd rather not pay him what he is asking for, which is a lot. This gives the competing Bucs a starting edge rusher for a likely late 2nd. 

I got good deals with those two players, so I won't make any more trades. I will pick up a depth edge player to replace Lawson whil Trent Murphy will start.

Player Re-signings

• CB Tre'davious White has signed a 4 year, $55m deal to remain with the Bills. 
  • WR Zay Jones has signed a 3 year $20m deal
  • LG Dion Dawkins signs a 2 year $2m deal
  • DE Trent Murphy signs a 1 year, $6m deal
  • OLB Matt Milano declines offers and will test FA - will see if I franchise tag. I wasn't giving him a 5 year deal. 

Rookie Developments

The part we've all been waiting for..... the rookie development reveals. 

• QB Wesley Kilian, now a 76 ovr Field General (also 76 Scrambler) is..... a Superstar! PHEW. I will update with his superstar abilities below.
  • LT Devon McBride is a Star 
  • RT Joe Sandridge is a Star
  • TE Michael Younger is a Star
  • WR Kendall Kerr is a Star

Obviously would have liked to hit one more superstar, but can't be too upset with the haul, considering I also have Ed Oliver and Tremaine Edmunds as Superstars. Below, I will list the Superstar players with their abilities. 

QB | Wesley Kilian | #10 INSIDE DEADEYE Perfect accuracy on all throws inside the numbers
Field General
76 OVR
6'3 | 221
ROOKIE | 21
POCKET DEADEYE Perfect accuracy on all unpressured throws
while feet are set in the pocket

Thank christ I was able to get Kilian to another archtype before the traits unlocked... Otherwise these 2 would have been locked as a scrambling QB's traits, which I would have hated. I upgraded the Field General 5 or 6y times and Scrambler only upgraded twice. 

For the actual abilities, wow! I have experienced Inside Deadeye before, and it makes post routes absolutely elite. Pocket deadeye I haven't had before, but that is a pretty damn great ability to pair with the first. I am now super happy with this 1st overall pick!

MLB | Tremaine Edmunds | #49 SECURE TACKLER Increased success when using conservative/diving tackles
Field General
85 OVR
6'5 | 250
Year 3 | 22
? Unlocks at Level 90
DT | Ed Oliver Jr. | #91 UNDER PRESSURE Apply pressure to the QB from greater distances
Power Rusher
84 OVR
6'1 | 287
Year 2| 22
? Unlocks at Level 90

Both of these guys will stick around for a bit, but eventually will be replaced to make the team completely built via the draft. 

Mid-Season Stats

2019 BUFFALO BILLS PLAYER STATS
OFFENSE
  PASSING PASS YDS PASS TDS INT COMP % QBR
QB WESLEY KILIAN 1,839 10 4 63% 91.9
  RUSHING ATT RUSH YDS RUSH TD YPC  
RB CORTEZ MAY 137 442 5 3.2  
QB DEVIN SINGLETARY 27 61 0 2.3  
  RECEIVING REC REC YDS REC TDS AVG  
WR ZAY JONES 41 536 4 13.1  
TE MICHAEL YOUNGER 43 445 2 10.3  
WR KENDALL KERR 26 309 1 11.9  
HB CORTEZ MAY 11 130 0 11.8  
- - 31 377 0 12.2  
DEFENSE
- - TAK (TFL) SAK INT FF / FR TD
MLB TREMAINE EDMUNDS 68 (5) 1.0 1 0/0 0
CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE 41 0.0 4 0/0 0
DE TRENT MURPHY 20 (3) 5.0 0 1/1 0

I wish there was more to report than this.......... yikes. I am sincerely hoping that the offense can pick it up a bit now that we have some abilities on Kilian, but wow, this is probably the worst offense I have ever had on a Madden franchise ever. 15 touchdowns in 8 games? 

Kilian is currently in 1st for OROY, but right behind him is the Chiefs rookie WR Greg Pitts. 

I'm going to sim through to the end of the year and we will do offseason #2

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 2

2020 Season Summary

2020 SEASON SCHEDULE
WEEK   TEAM SCORE
1 @ CARDINALS 21-52
2   PATRIOTS 8-38
3   RAIDERS 19-17
4   BYE -
5 @ BRONCOS 16-22
6   RAMS 20-28
7   DOLPHINS 14-20
8 @ PATRIOTS 22-38
9   JETS 18-21
10 @ CHARGERS 31-28
11 @ SEAHAWKS 17-38
12 @ DOLPHINS 16-35
13 @ TITANS 17-19
14   RAVENS 10-35
15   49ERS 20-17
16 @ JETS 13-20
17   CHIEFS 21-14

The Bills finished the season 4-12, which is what the goal was and quite frankly about what I expected. It's still a little surprising considering the division was really weak this year, but we went 0-6 in the division. 

2020 BUFFALO BILLS PLAYER STATS
OFFENSE
  PASSING PASS YDS PASS TDS INT COMP % QBR
QB WESLEY KILIAN 3,722 19 8 62% 88.8
  RUSHING ATT RUSH YDS RUSH TD YPC  
RB CORTEZ MAY 280 887 10 3.2  
QB DEVIN SINGLETARY 58 146 2 2.5  
  RECEIVING REC REC YDS REC TDS AVG  
WR ZAY JONES 87 1,087 7 12.5  
TE MICHAEL YOUNGER 82 870 5 10.6  
WR KENDALL KERR 58 677 3 11.7  
WR ROBERT FOSTER 33 316 0 9.6  
HB CORTEZ MAY 25 231 0 9.2  
DEFENSE
- - TAK (TFL) SAK INT FF / FR TD
MLB TREMAINE EDMUNDS 139 (10) 1.5 2 0/0 0
LB MATT MILANO 115 (5) 4.5 0 0/0 0
CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE 83 0.0 4 0/0 0
DE TRENT MURPHY 44 (9) 8.4 1 0/0 0
DT ED OLIVER 52 (12) 5.5 0 0/0 0

Offensively it was a pretty pedestrian year. May wasn't able to hit 1,000 yards, but he shouldn't have, because he is a pretty below average RB.I'll look to upgrade the RB spot this offseason potentially. Zay Jones has a pretty good year, and I'm happy to see Madden improving TE sim stats. That is a really solid year for Mike Younger, the rookie TE.

Madden however still can't sim QB stuff, because with Kilian's 85 speed, he had 7 rushes for 28 yards. lol. 

On defense, much of nothing. Barely any turnovers this year at all, which is weird because my defense is definitely better than last year. Lorenzo Alexander must have been the golden key. 

2020 BUFFALO BILLS TEAM STATS
OFFENSE
PPG TOTAL YDS/G PASS YDS/G RUSH YDS/G PASS TD RUSH TD ALL-P YDS
17.7 2.2 304 234 70 19 -3 13 5 397
32nd -1 31st -2 25th 3 28th -1 29th -1 25th 7 30th -3
DEFENSE
PPG TOTAL YDS/G PASS YDS/G RUSH YDS/G SACKS INT FUMBLES
27.6 2.7 368 260 107 29 -1 8 -7 0 -2
31st -8 26th 6 24th 4 28th 2 26th -6 T25th -23 T32 -16

This is more new. I changed the Total yards to be per game, which is way nicer to read. The 2.2 on the PPG represents the year over year change, and the number beside the league ranking is of course the change in year over year ranking. Next year I will have year over year improvements in yards per game as well. 

I think this will give a nice suimmary of what is improving over the last year. 

With that being said, I sucked this year. 

Edited by JBURGE

2020 Standings and Awards

2020 SEASON STANDINGS
AFC   NFC
  TEAM W-L SEED     TEAM W-L SEED
1 BROWNS 12-4 1   1 SAINTS 13-3 1
2 PATRIOTS 11-4-1 2   2 SEAHAWKS 12-4 2
3 CHARGERS 11-5 3   3 FALCONS 12-4 3
4 JAGUARS 11-5 5   4 BEARS 11-5 4
5 RAVENS 11-5 4   5 GIANTS 9-7 5
6 JETS 10-6 6   6 REDSKINS 8-7-1 6
7 TEXANS 10-6 x   7 CARDINALS 8-8 x
8 BRONCOS 8-8 x   8 RAMS 8-8 x
9 COLTS 8-8 x   9 PANTHERS 8-8 x
10 BENGALS 7-9 x   10 COWBOYS 7-8 x
11 TITANS 6-10 x   11 LIONS 7-9 x
12 RAIDERS 5-11 x   12 PACKERS 7-9 x
13 DOLPHINS 4-12 x   13 49ERS 6-10 x
14 BILLS 4-12 x   14 BUCS 6-10 x
15 STEELERS 4-12 x   15 VIKINGS 5-11 x
16 CHIEFS 1-14-1 x   16 EAGLES 4-12 x

Okay, so, I traded for KCs 1st round pick last year. I was shocked when KC picked 7th last year.... what the ****? Below are a couple pics of the Chiefs schedule just to show that I did not force lose their games to get a better pick lmao. I think I will have to trade down with one of them because I don't want to pick twice in the top 5.... 

2020 SEASON AWARDS
MVP QB PHILIP RIVERS CHARGERS COTY - SEAN PAYTON SAINTS
AFC NFC
OPOY QB PHILIP RIVERS CHARGERS OPOY RB EZEKIEL ELLIOT COWBOYS
DPOY LB RYAN SHAZIER STEELERS DPOY LB ANTHONY BARR VIKINGS
OROY QB WESLEY KILIAN BILLS OROY WR LEON BOWIE EAGLES
DROY S EVAN BEAL BILLS DROY DB ONTARIUS PEARSON CARDINALS
BEST QB BAKER MAYFIELD BROWNS BEST QB RYAN TANNEHILL SAINTS
  RB NICK CHUBB BROWNS   RB EZEKIEL ELLIOT COWBOYS
  WR KEENAN ALLEN CHARGERS   WR ALLEN ROBINSON BEARS
  OL SHAW MASON PATRIOTS   OL TERRON ARMSTEAD SAINTS
  DL JJ WATT TEXANS   DL CAMERON JORDAN SAINTS
  LB VON MILLER BRONCOS   LB KHALIL MACK BEARS
  DB TRE WHITE BILLS   DB AVONTE MADDOX EAGLES

Predictably Kilian wins OROY, but a bit of a nice surprise to see Evan Beal win DROY. He barely had any stats, but he played all of the snaps for the year. Maybe this will progress him to a star rating, and then he can progress some? We'll see.

Tub3TzOm.jpgzKBNfXSm.jpg

Edited by JBURGE