Pre-Preseason WR Breakdown

boratt

I haven’t gone to practices in a number of years, the old days if you will. Mike Sherman practices and early McCarthy practices. I realized early that I could only learn so much at a practice. I couldn’t watch everyone. So I’d pick a position group and just watch them every day and I would start to get some information that proved true.

This year I picked receivers to watch. I’ve gone to 5 practices and watched almost exclusively WRs. I make my judgements by contrasting new players to known quantities, in this case, Davante Adams but I also compare them against each other and against Allison as well because I know what Allison is. Here is what I’ve gleaned:

Rodgers barely communicates with Adams. They know each other and just roll. He spends extra time with Graham and MVS. He’s building chemistry with those two right now. Rodgers also watches the other WRs when he’s not throwing to them. He’s always paying attention to the WRs. He’ll talk a little when it’s not his rep, but hes watching everything in the passing game even when he’s not playing. It’s crazy how serious he takes practice. 

Adams is a beast. He’s in ridiculously good shape. He catches everything. He dominates. 

Graham is big and fast. He’s Rodgers second favorite target. He drops one here and there but you can see Rosgers loves throwing to graham. They constantly communicate and Rodgers constantly goes Graham’s way. You can see they have chemistry and are building more. 

MVS looks like a star. He’s quick, smooth, in control, always practicing hard, whether he’s a deep decoy, blocker or 1st read. He had some setbacks last year where maybe Rodgers didn’t like his practice habits, Rodgers has said so much, but that is behind him. MVS has lights out speed, runs confident, effective routes, gets open and catches the ball. His agility is on par with Davante Adams and this dude is 6’4”. He’s young. It takes AR time to build real chemistry, but this guy is a #1 WR in the making and Rodgers first elite deep threat. I hate to like anyone the internet hyped up due to 40 yard dash time, but this guy is good. 

Allison is Allison. He’s reliable and on the same page with his QB inside. Allison will always pick the right chioce route inside and pick apart zone defense with the help of AR. 

After this there is a drop. EQ and Davis look solid. They’ll be better dialed in with the QB than last years rookies if they have to play.

I don’t like anyone after that. Rodgers wont throw to mental struggling players like Moore even tho he’s quick and fast. Kumerow is a slug. I like Shepherd most of the left overs but he’s small and a rookie. Excellent practice squad guy and if we get decimated, I think Rodgers could play with him.

Danny Vitale is the weirdest looking WR I’ve ever seen and I know he’s a fb but he could play WR, that’s how good he is running routes and catching the ball. I’ve never seen anything like it. I could see 30+ receptions from this guy. 

Tonyan is on the verge of being serviceable but Graham is bigger, faster and Rodgers seems to respect Graham so much more for his football knowledge. 

Our top 4, Adams, MVS, Graham and Allison..... one down we wouldn’t lose much. Two down we’d manage. After that, the offense starts to feel the losses.

Someone questioned me about Moore so I really watched him today. He looked quick, confident and really good today. But Rodgers said it was so vanilla it was boring today. It makes sense why Moore knew what he was doing. That’s not good enough for our QB. I don’t think Moore has a chance with this team. Other than base, vanilla days he looks lost. 

Edited by boratt

Kumerow is making big plays left and right and one the few that is actually talked about. He runs just as fast as Jordy did and is the same size. Kumerow finds ways to get open. Allison has hit his ceiling and ESB is even with him right now and has not even hit his ceiling yet.  Moore is like Jeff Janis.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Kumerow is making big plays left and right and one the few that is actually talked about. He runs just as fast as Jordy did and is the same size. Kumerow finds ways to get open. Allison has hit his ceiling and ESB is even with him right now and has not even hit his ceiling yet.  Moore is like Jeff Janis.

Rodgers loves him and he makes plays but he looks like he’s in quick sand. Maybe his long strides deceive me. But I’m gonna stick with my observation and say he looks like he’s not athlete enough to play in the NFL. He might make the team though. I just don’t think he’ll ever be very good. 

Moore is Janis. Just doesn’t get it even though he’s an athlete

Edited by boratt

41 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

From what I've seen, ESB doesn't look close to being even with Allison yet. Are you basing that on observations from practice? I've only seen the games. 

12 hours ago, Greg C. said:

From what I've seen, ESB doesn't look close to being even with Allison yet. Are you basing that on observations from practice? I've only seen the games. 

Allison has great chemistry with the QB. That goes a long way, especially in the slot where he has to adjust to different zones the way Rodgers wants. Allison looks athletic and sudden in the short area. That’s also a great skill inside. Allison has a role there. If they were outside, EQ might be on even ground. 

We have three 6’5” WRs. Kumerow, EQ and Lazard. EQ looks far more sudden than the other two. He is a very high upside player with his size/movement. It might be like Jordy where once the chemistry comes on, he’s an unstoppable beast with the QB. You can see EQs potential, he’s just young and doesn’t pick up quite as fast as MVS does. 

I do see MVS as sort of a rare talent because he’s picked things up so fast and then he’s just so fast, literally. 

Edited by boratt