GDT 8/8/19 Preseason Week 1: Baltimore Ravens vs Jacksonville Jaguars

DreamKid

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

After watching some of those videos. I think it’s a chance that Zach Seiler gets let go if he doesn’t step it up. He looked out of his element. While Ricard looked like the much better option plus he offers versatility as a FB and 4th TE.

Nah. He wasn't as dominant as you'd like, but he still had some great pressures. It was an uncharacteristic night for him against the run. It just means he won't be pressing Wormley for the 1st team nod, especially after Wormley's strong all around game. His roster spot is in no jeopardy. 

Bowser chaining pass rush moves is a scary thing, he's no longer just relying on his long arm technique and pure athleticism. Speed/Explosion rushers often fail because they take themselves out the play, frequently with a Tackle's help. You don't want to get beyond the QB, as Shane Ray does in this clip. Bowser understands this and counters back inside with the secondary spin we've all been waiting on him to develop/hone. His stock continues to rise.

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Bowser chaining pass rush moves is a scary thing, he's no longer just relying on his long arm technique and pure athleticism. Speed/Explosion rushers often fail because they take themselves out the play, frequently with a Tackle's help. You don't want to get beyond the QB, as Shane Ray does in this clip. Bowser understands this and counters back inside with the secondary spin we've all been waiting on him to develop/hone. His stock continues to rise.

Here's Cam Jordan showing what this sequence can accomplish.

I went back and watched all of Patrick Mekari's snaps from the game. I encourage everyone else to do the same. We really might have found something with him. He had extensive time at both Right Guard and Center. Both stints were highly impressive.

We'll see what he does in the rest of these games, but it's hard to imagine him not making the final 53. 

I did a little digging on him and found this-

He's a college tackle we kicked inside, sound familiar?

Whatever you think of PFF as a whole, you obviously want players to be highly rated by any metric and he's with some top company.

PFF's 2019 Draft Class Tackle Ranking by Pass Blocking Efficency-

T-1. Chuma Edoga USC - 3rd Round Pick 99.3 PBE

T-1. Dalton Risner Kansas State - 2nd Round Pick 99.3 PBE

T-3. Cody Ford Oklahoma - 2nd Round Pick 99.1 PBE

T-3. Patrick Mekari - UDFA 99.1 PBE

5. Andre Dillard - 1st Round Pick 99.0 PBE

Everyone in that top 5, except Mekari, came with an early round price tag. Everyone in that top 5, INCLUDING Mekari, has drawn rave reviews for their performances thus far in Camp/Preseason.

Clearly there is a precedent for the surprising play we've seen out of him. Against the Jags I saw versatility, an ability to anchor- and re anchor when he didn't win quick, he looked good in space. I have zero complaints. Also he had some good battles with Taven Bryan, the Jags 2018 1st Round pick too. I really recommend everyone takes a look at him. He's got some pancakes in there :D, so no "OL is boring complaints" lol. 

Mekari is only 21 years old, he turns 22 in 3 days. He's also coming off of a back injury that landed him on PUP to start camp. Youth, a position switch, and a setback injury hasn't stopped him from flashing in camp, practice, and now a real game. We should be very encouraged.

He looked great next to Orlando, better than Hurst did. I'd like to see him get some time with the 1s in these next couple games. 

• Like 3

The only issue with Mekari is it looked like durability might’ve been a little bit of a concern at CAL.

That said, everything else holds up. If not for the injury to end his season, he perhaps goes in the mid-rounds, as he had been invited to play in a post season all star game and with a good pro day, a little hype and you never know. We’ve seen such things happen before.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 12:16 AM, DreamKid said:

I think this is the one you referenced. He's great at getting on bodies in space. 

Since you watched Mekari, did you notice anything from Eluemunor and Greg Senat. Just had the thought that if Mekari could offer us great depth for C/OG/OT then that limits some of what we would need Eluemunor for in versatility. At that point it would mean if Senat looks better than Jermaine, why waste a roster spot on Eluemunor when we could have Senat on the practice squad as a move up candidate in the event of injury.

Just having noticed some snaps, it looked like Senat was doing a solid job handling his blocks. Could be an interesting development where Jermaine goes from considered a key backup/potential starter heading into camp... to being cut. His weight gain and discouraging play seems like the kind of thing that would boil Harbaugh’s bones.

I’d love to see if we can work Mekari into some LT snaps. As opposed to seeing how he looks at guard, if he looks solid at center and OT than we would have Hurst and Mekari as backup OT options in game. While Powers man’s the interior as the primary backup. Boom no more need for Eluemunor on the roster. If we see an OT injury than Senat moves up if the injury is bad enough to put that OT on IR.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Since you watched Mekari, did you notice anything from Eluemunor and Greg Senat. Just had the thought that if Mekari could offer us great depth for C/OG/OT then that limits some of what we would need Eluemunor for in versatility. At that point it would mean if Senat looks better than Jermaine, why waste a roster spot on Eluemunor when we could have Senat on the practice squad as a move up candidate in the event of injury.

Here is Ken McKusick's notes on the game, he scored those guys individually.

The most significant indication of roster decisions during the preseason is the order of entry.

Here are the offensive linemen by series, something that often tells a story about the team’s plans:
  • Jermaine Eluemunor played the entire first half at LG and did not score well (see individual section for summary).  I expect we’ll see Powers have a chance to start at some point to get first-team reps.

• Greg Senat was effective other than the holding penalty which negated Boykin’s TD catch at the end of the half (see individual section for summary).  As they did with Nico Siragusa last season, this appeared to be a game where the Ravens sought to get a lengthy evaluation of Senat after he missed the 2018 season.

• The debut of Ben Powers went well with no penalties, no pass blocking errors, and just 2 missed run blocks as I scored it.  He maintained his blocks well and I think it’s possible he’ll get a chance to play with the 1s vs Green Bay.

• Eluemunor (-1):  Jermaine was ineffective as the starting LG.   He was bulled twice for shared pressures and failed to pick up DE Smoot when he stunted for a QH (Q2, 7:20).  He missed 6 blocks in 35 scored snaps, but remarkably the Ravens piled up 66 yards on those plays. He made 2 blocks in level 2, delivered 1 pancake, and connected on 2 of 3 pulls.  His highlight was a well-maintained pull vs LB Goode in level 2. Scoring: 35 plays, 26 blocks, 6 missed, .83 (1/2 + 1/3) pressures, 2/3 QH, 22.33 points (.66 per play). That’s a high F at guard.

Jermaine is getting his chance at the starting LG spot based in part on size, but he is not using that asset to move or even wear his opponents as Powers did in this game. 

• Senat (+1):  Greg’s solid game improved his roster chances.  While people will remember him for the holding call which negated the TD to Boykin, he otherwise allowed just 3 partial pressures while leading the team in offensive snaps.  He made 2 blocks in level 2, delivered 1 pancake, made his only pull (left from LT), and had 2 highlights, the best of which was a pancake of CB Picasso Nelson on a pull left (Q3, 6:00).  Scoring: 54 plays, 48 blocks, 3 missed, 1.17 (2 x 1/3 + ½) pressures, 1 offensive holding, 39.67 points (.73 per play). That’s a C at tackle.

• Mekari (+1):  He and Senat were the 2 fringe OL to play well.  Mekari had more than 50 snaps split between C and RG and did not allow a pressure as I scored it.

• Powers (+1):  Ben had a debut that included no pass-blocking failures.  He also made all but 2 run blocks, but only one of those was a failure at the line of scrimmage when he was driven backwards by DT Michael Hughes to force Ervin wide for no gain (Q4, 10:30).  He did not have a block in level 2, but he delivered a pancake on a defensive lineman, which is unusual. A significant difference between Powers and Eluemunor is the will to maintain blocks to the whistle.  That was visible in spades during his time at Oklahoma and it’s nice to see that’s the norm for him against players competing on the fringe of the NFL. In a night characterized by well-maintained blocks, his highlight was a 10+ yard push of DT Andrew Williams (Q3, 13:38).  Scoring: 29 plays, 27 blocks, 2 missed, 27 points (.93 per play). That’s an A without adjustment, which is probably appropriate given the level of competition.

If you weren’t excited about Powers before, it might be time to start.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 2

I wish Ken had scored Mekari individually. The 50+ snaps and no pressures line kind of says it all though.

Eluemanor remains trash at guard, he's clearly better at Tackle. Senat had a solid game, while Powers had a strong game apparently.

To your point @diamondbull424, these guys pushing Eluemanor off the roster is a big possibility.

Hopefully Mekari and/or Powers gets to run with the 1s against the Packers. I really want to see what they have. It's interesting that Mekari came in before Powers too. He's just shot up the depth chart.

• Like 1