Week 1 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars (0-0) @ Houston Texans (0-0)

.Buzz

One week til the season starts. Figure we should get the discussion going.

1) Blake Bortles

2) OL

3) Pass rush

4) Fournette

5) Defense meshing while we've had some guys out/haven't played together as a complete unit very much yet.

Going to be a very tough game with it being in Houston too. Not exactly how I want to start the season off. Those players have a ton to play for with the situation that city currently sits in.

I'm thinking 21-13 Texans. Can't expect much from the offense until we see what Bortles does. Defensively we should be fairly solid imo, but ultimately Blake is more likely than not to have a pic or two in a bad spot and lend them a few extra points. 

Ramsey v. Hopkins should be a good time.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm thinking 21-13 Texans. Can't expect much from the offense until we see what Bortles does. Defensively we should be fairly solid imo, but ultimately Blake is more likely than not to have a pic or two in a bad spot and lend them a few extra points. 

Ramsey v. Hopkins should be a good time.

I think Ramsey can win that. For me its all in the trenches. Can we hold Watt back? Can we get pressure? If yes to both, we can win

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We're going to get wrecked... The amount of passion coming from this city after such a hard time and these players are going to be playing at 110%. We can only hope they make mistakes. 

17 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think Ramsey can win that. For me its all in the trenches. Can we hold Watt back? Can we get pressure? If yes to both, we can win

I'm gonna go with No, and No...and a soft maybe on Jalen vs Hopkins.  Hope it goes otherwise, maybe they've been sandbagging the preseason.  But based on what we've seen...i'm not overly optimistic we come out on top of that battle...or the game as a whole.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm gonna go with No, and No...and a soft maybe on Jalen vs Hopkins.  Hope it goes otherwise, maybe they've been sandbagging the preseason.  But based on what we've seen...i'm not overly optimistic we come out on top of that battle...or the game as a whole.

I'm not that scared of Houston's team tbh, even though we aren't in a great spot I think we could win. Problem is everything that Houston is playing for and their first game since everything happened in Houston. They are going to be playing their asses off.

Really sucks on the football side of things to have to play against them right off the bat...at home.

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not that scared of Houston's team tbh, even though we aren't in a great spot I think we could win. Problem is everything that Houston is playing for and their first game since everything happened in Houston. They are going to be playing their asses off.

Really sucks on the football side of things to have to play against them right off the bat...at home.

Shouldn't our team be playing their asses off too though?  Isn't that what a good coach is supposed to do?  Get a team up for a game and ready to execute...regardless of natural disasters or various other extenuating motivational circumstances?  They have to know that Houston are going to be fired up...be ready for that.  Good teams that win games come prepared for what they're going to face and meet the challenge head on.

Personally, i don't want to hear any crap excuses if they lose like, "well tough loss, Houston just had more to play for".  Regardless of the circumstances...Do Your Job.

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Shouldn't our team be playing their asses off too though?  Isn't that what a good coach is supposed to do?  Get a team up for a game and ready to execute...regardless of natural disasters or various other extenuating motivational circumstances?  They have to know that Houston are going to be fired up...be ready for that.  Good teams that win games come prepared for what they're going to face and meet the challenge head on.

Personally, i don't want to hear any crap excuses if they lose like, "well tough loss, Houston just had more to play for".  Regardless of the circumstances...Do Your Job.

Lol, come on.

No one is saying we have an excuse or we wont come prepared/fired up. Doesnt change the fact that the city just went through a natural disaster and that place is going to be rocking with sky high emotions. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Lol, come on.

No one is saying we have an excuse or we wont come prepared/fired up. Doesnt change the fact that the city just went through a natural disaster and that place is going to be rocking with sky high emotions. 

What else is it then?

You're saying you're "not that scared of Houston's team"...but...Emotions.

That's teeing up an excuse before a game if i've ever seen one.  It's loser football team fan mentality.  I'm tired of that, making excuses and trying to justify constant losing.  Either they're good enough and ready enough to meet the challenge head on, as raucous and emotionally charged as it may be in Houston, or they're not.

If say, Marrone comes out after a loss and cites that emotional high for Houston as an excuse/reason for the loss i'm going to go ballistic.  Or, actually...i'll probably just add it to an already large pile of disappointments and frustrations with this team right now.  But, same difference.  Just don't want to hear it.  Excuses are for losers.

But hey, maybe they'll actually rise to the occasion and pull of a win.  Then i won't have to worry about that sort of ready-made pregame teed up excuse.  :)

Just now, Tugboat said:

What else is it then?

You're saying you're "not that scared of Houston's team"...but...Emotions.

That's teeing up an excuse before a game if i've ever seen one.  It's loser football team fan mentality.  I'm tired of that, making excuses and trying to justify constant losing.  Either they're good enough and ready enough to meet the challenge head on, as raucous and emotionally charged as it may be in Houston, or they're not.

If say, Marrone comes out after a loss and cites that emotional high for Houston as an excuse/reason for the loss i'm going to go ballistic.  Or, actually...i'll probably just add it to an already large pile of disappointments and frustrations with this team right now.  But, same difference.  Just don't want to hear it.  Excuses are for losers.

But hey, maybe they'll actually rise to the occasion and pull of a win.  Then i won't have to worry about that sort of ready-made pregame teed up excuse.  :)

Umm, ok.

I'm not going into any football game expecting a win considering what Blake has looked like this year. If we were playing the Titans I would also be expecting a loss (although competitive). I'm not scared of Tennessee though either (even though I think they are a good team). Them just having going through a horrific disaster that has caused the team and city to band together while this being their first game back with their star player just raising over 18 million dollars to help the city recover makes me not like our chances more than I did prior.

I don't think anyone here is saying we're losing just because Houston's situation. We are using it as another reason to expect a loss (like I'd imagine most of us expected). We picked top 5 a year ago and the Texans made the playoffs (albeit in an awful division). 

I think most game threads where you play a team at their place that just went through a horrendous incident would bring that up too. Literally no one here is making that as an excuse to lose the game. We are giving our predictions and taking that into account in our predictions.

If you want to tee off on that, then, I guess go for it?

Archived