Texans @ Packers - Pre Season Game 1

amazingandre

Howdy boys!  Have paid less attention than usual this offseason as this is just another McNair family fortune padding 9-7 team with Wild Card loss ceiling and 7-9 floor, but honestly preseason is often more interesting than the regular season for me as I love the 2 or 3 players that make a name for themselves.  Obviously the o-line and secondary are the same old story and preseason told us absolutely nothing last year as they both looked competent vs. vanilla. I'm pretty sure the Tytus Howard panic pick is what got Gaine fired when O'Brien saw Davenport 2.0 in camp vs plug and play Dillard, so my expectations are exceedingly low there and think we'll see more of Sharping this year than him.  I'm hoping Rankin looks competent at LG as Kelemete brings nothing to the table other than depth.  A guy I think is being dismissed is Darren Fells who is the first TE we've had in the O'Brien era who can actually block. Warring is a fun prospect, but seemed like a luxury pick with enough TE projects in a position O'Brien never features and Watson ignores aside from 3rd and long dumps.  Higdon is the guy to watch in the backfield, but the Texans have a long rich history of cutting our best preseason RB - still miss ya Trumaine Pope.  Another storyline that doesn't seem to be getting much run is that we did absolutely nothing to address a WR room that had us giving playoff reps to Deandre Carter and Vyncynt Smith.  Fuller is just never going to hold up for a full season, Coutee is being treated as a top end slot despite playing 4.5 games. 

Defense is pretty much rinse - repeat with elite front 7 that wont play in PS and garbage secondary aside from Reid filled with guys who can't cover man to man. My one prediction here is that UDFA Jamal Davis is going to have lots of people claiming we can save Clowney's $25 million with Davis/Ejiofor on the cheap.  Obviously Lonnie Johnson is making a name for himself as a hitter in flag football, but I absolutely hate the fit for our defense as he's going to get roasted outside just like Kareem.  I'm hoping Watkins finally takes the next step and justifies letting Covington walk and Blackson better justify his deal.  

Overall, I think this game is largely going to be a complete waste as the Joe Webb show will do nothing but generate a few garbage bombs to Vyncynt Smith but we'll get plenty of practice with a QB who holds on to the ball to long.  I'm betting we get shut out until 5th stringer time in the 2nd half when the run game actually starts working against guys who can't tackle. I also predict horrific play by play with American Ninja Warrior type backstory fluff instead of any meaningful analysis of what is going on on the field.   Post game story will be "it looks like our defense is ahead of the offense" which just means the Packers offense depth players are almost as bad as ours. 

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1

Just such an O'Brien decision to give 31 year old special teamer Taiwan Jones the 1st team reps as RB.  Dude hasn't made an NFL yard in the past 3 years and has never gotten more than 20 rushes in any of his 8 seasons, but let's evaluate him as a feature back instead of the 5 guys actually competing for the #3 RB gig.  I'm already going to award this guy the Jordan Todman pointless roster spot of the year. Ferguson, Higdon, Howell, Crockett, Gillaspia? Nah - run the old guy out there, I don't trust young RBs...

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Just such an O'Brien decision to give 31 year old special teamer Taiwan Jones the 1st team reps as RB.  Dude hasn't made an NFL yard in the past 3 years and has never gotten more than 20 rushes in any of his 8 seasons, but let's evaluate him as a feature back instead of the 5 guys actually competing for the #3 RB gig.  I'm already going to award this guy the Jordan Todman pointless roster spot of the year. Ferguson, Higdon, Howell, Crockett, Gillaspia? Nah - run the old guy out there, I don't trust young RBs...

Maybe they will cut him tomorrow, especially with Duke coming to town.