Eli Manning as Giants starting QB

DigInBoys

6 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Brady Quinn looked good in preseason too. 

Whats funny is I liked jones more than most in here, but I’m rooting against him just because of giant fan. 

Im petty I know...

He wasn't even the 2nd best looking Giants QB on the field which is all that needs to be said about Preseason and or the Jets Defense last night.

Tanney-Lauletta-Jones 👍

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Huh? Who mentioned Haskins or bragging?  Just happy the Giants went with Barkley and Jones over Darnold and Allen. 

Barkley was a smart pick. who knows about Jones.

Darnold and Allen, they look like good picks, show promise, still have a lot to prove.  I think the Giants are going to surprise ppl this year.

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Your other 2 points were valid. I do think Watson could of developed a heck of a lot better learning for a year. But, a coaches job was on the line, they had no oline, had no viable starter. Watson is headed to be a superstar no question. I just think learning behind a vet for a full year or most of one is so beneficial for sustainable play and winning. A player as gifted as Watson long term can't take that punishment. 

Wentz another example of a guy that would of done better learning for a year this answer I'm supremely confident in saying. Not because he couldn't do the job he was on pace for an MVP like year. It's about not feeling like you have to make the game winning play every play. Wentz sitting behind foles the last 2 years for spurts paid dividends. 

You learn a lot more as QB when you play than when you're on the bench.

Every QB will have adversity at some point in their career, if they are not enough strong mentally for that, they will not stay long in the NFL as starter.

7 hours ago, DannyB said:

Eli Manning will probably end his career with a .500 career winning percentage, and be a Hall of Famer.

Sweet jesus.

Yes, but it's mostly because of his last 6 years ... Before that in his first 9 season, he had only 1 losing season and it was his rookie season.

Eli Manning did just not have the longevity that others had.

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Can't remember where, but years ago Peyton Manning's attitude was getting on the field as soon as possible. Just play. 

I honestly can't think of any sport where you learn better by watching instead of doing. Learning the actual feel of real action is like 90% of the battle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Brady Quinn looked good in preseason too. 

Whats funny is I liked jones more than most in here, but I’m rooting against him just because of giant fan. 

Im petty I know...

No offense taken. I’m rooting against the Browns and their cast of clowns too. Trust me, it’s very easy to root against Mayfield, OBJ and Hunt. 

The preseason doesn’t matter, but to see Jones come out and throw darts in his first series was very encouraging. He looks to have that “live arm” you look for in quarterbacks. And he hasn’t even shown off his athleticism yet. Root against him all you want. But as the saying goes - you can’t stop the inevitable : Death, taxes, and Daniel Jones becoming a hall of fame quarterback. 

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

He wasn't even the 2nd best looking Giants QB on the field which is all that needs to be said about Preseason and or the Jets Defense last night.

Tanney-Lauletta-Jones 👍

The Giants took it easy on the Jets. Jones had a perfect drive, and they saw enough to put him on the bench next to the starters. Pretty interesting because usually you want rookies out there getting experience. The Giants were like - nope, it’s not fair to let him beat up on these backups.

The same people saying iTs JuST pResEason would be here hooting and hollering if Jones went 5-12 with an INT last night. That’s something I would bet on. And we’ll see evidence of that as soon as Jones has a hiccup. That’s my stone cold lock of the century, of the week.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Huh? Who mentioned Haskins or bragging?  Just happy the Giants went with Barkley and Jones over Darnold and Allen. 

It's strange that a ton of people are convinced that Darnold and Allen are going to be franchise QBs after their extremely underwhelming rookie seasons. If Baker was taken after Barkley, I'd understand this take 100%. But Darnold and Allen? Let them prove something, anything, first before you say they were better picks than the OROY and a guy Adrian Peterson said "could be the best back to ever play the game".

A lot of people here are going to have to eat crow if Jones pans out, even more so if he turns out better than Darnold and Allen.

21 hours ago, Gmen said:

Eli had 4300 yards, 66% completions, 21 TDs, 11 interceptions last year. That’s not a bad stat line. 

21 hours ago, Gmen said:

Eli had 4300 yards, 66% completions, 21 TDs, 11 interceptions last year. That’s not a bad stat line. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Graded as the 22nd ranked QB. Any type of pressure throw it to Barkley.

42 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's strange that a ton of people are convinced that Darnold and Allen are going to be franchise QBs after their extremely underwhelming rookie seasons. If Baker was taken after Barkley, I'd understand this take 100%. But Darnold and Allen? Let them prove something, anything, first before you say they were better picks than the OROY and a guy Adrian Peterson said "could be the best back to ever play the game".

A lot of people here are going to have to eat crow if Jones pans out, even more so if he turns out better than Darnold and Allen.

Maybe people can take long-term strategic views rather than basing their takes on a short-sighted one-year analysis when arguing which was the right pick?  Darnold definitely showed flashes last year that were cause for optimism moving forward. When is the last time a rookie QB who wasn’t considered mobile looked amazing his rookie year?  It takes longer for guys who rely on the mental side of the game to gain an edge over the defense, as there is such a steep learning curve. Even Peyton looked like trash his rookie year. Darnold will likely be playing in this league a lot longer than Barkley and have a much larger impact on team wins.

And people who still believe this are the ones who believe in positional importance. The importance of the QB and pass-rusher positions can’t be overstated in this league. I’d take a top 10 pass rusher, which is what Allen can be, over a top RB any day. 

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

Has it?  That's news to me.  I'm pretty sure each QB is a different project, which is one reason there's no universal route to developing them.

Second, there are plenty of other reasons.  Better in training camp doesn't translate to the actual season, for starters, so even if he looks better in practice, it doesn't mean he's actually better.  You don't know how he'll perform under pressure and what decisions he'll make.  You can probably rely on Eli for that, at least, and old QBs have surprised before.  There is at least a chance that Eli has something left in the tank, and if he does, he's almost certainly a better option than a rookie.

They lose nothing by starting Eli, unless, as I said, they're sure that Jones is ready to start in the NFL, in which case they lose a few games of him learning things, which I seriously doubt will stunt him at all.  They gain everything because either Eli comes in and wins them games, or he comes in and loses, and Jones looks better by comparison, which satiates the fanbase, gives him confidence, and makes their jobs a little bit more secure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-quarterback-analysis-2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/17/nfl-problem-rookie-quarterbacks-not-enough-practice-time

There is absolutely zero upside to starting Eli in 2019. There’s a reason why no other team would do it if they had the chance. He’s completely finished 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Maybe people can take long-term strategic views rather than basing their takes on a short-sighted one-year analysis when arguing which was the right pick?  Darnold definitely showed flashes last year that were cause for optimism moving forward. When is the last time a rookie QB who wasn’t considered mobile looked amazing his rookie year?  It takes longer for guys who rely on the mental side of the game to gain an edge over the defense, as there is such a steep learning curve. Even Peyton looked like trash his rookie year. Darnold will likely be playing in this league a lot longer than Barkley and have a much larger impact on team wins.

And people who still believe this are the ones who believe in positional importance. The importance of the QB and pass-rusher positions can’t be overstated in this league. I’d take a top 10 pass rusher, which is what Allen can be, over a top RB any day. 

Last year.