Cam Meredith's Fortunes Have Fallen Badly

soulman

Cam Meredith gets nothing guaranteed, a year after getting $5.4 million

Michael David Smith,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 18 hours ago

A year ago, the Saints liked wide receiver Cameron Meredith enough that they signed him to a free agent contract that guaranteed him $5.4 million. That did not go well.

So this week, Meredith signed with the Patriots for nothing guaranteed.

According to multiple reports, Meredith gets nothing guaranteed at all this season. If he makes the roster, the Patriots will pay him a salary of $720,000. Next year Meredith can make up to $1.3 million, but the Patriots could also cut him without paying him anything.

That’s a big step down from the big deal he got with the Saints last year, but until Meredith can get healthy and stay healthy, he’s not going to convince any team to pay him anything like what the Saints paid him.

In 2016 Meredith had a breakout season, emerging as the Bears’ No. 1 receiver and catching 66 passes for 888 yards and four touchdowns. But in the other three years he’s been in the league he has combined for just 20 catches, 234 yards and one touchdown.

Hard to know just where to insert this since we have no miscellaneous thread so I gave it it's own.

Pace obviously made the correct decision not matching NOLA's offer to Meredith.  It's pretty clear now that his injury was more severe than anyone realized and his recovery was not complete either mentally or physically.  We dodged a bullet not re-signing him.

I truly liked the guy and admired his ability to ascend as an NFL WR.  I also hope he can resurrect his career in NE.

I like Meredith a lot, seems like a really good kid and his was just a good story - local kid coming in as a UDFA, basically scraped on to the roster one year with his performance in the fourth pre-season game, and ends up working his way up to #1 WR going in to 2017. I was really excited for what he could do that year, until his injury. Hope he does well in NE too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I trust Pace, so no, I didn't care that he let a #4 WR at best go after a horrific knee injury.

But he wasn't a #4 WR when he came up for a new deal.  He's was our top WR the previous year.

66 catches/888 yards/13.5 ypc/4 tds.....and that was in just 14 games with only 10 starts.  I'd take that any day from a #2 WR.

Injury aside I'd say the majority of Bears fans wanted him to return.  If he'd remained uninjured I believe he'd have been a solid #2 WR to pair with someone like ARob and quick slot guy like Miller but that injury was pretty gruesome.

30 minutes ago, soulman said:

But he wasn't a #4 WR when he came up for a new deal.  He's was our top WR the previous year.

66 catches/888 yards/13.5 ypc/4 tds.....and that was in just 14 games with only 10 starts.  I'd take that any day from a #2 WR.

Injury aside I'd say the majority of Bears fans wanted him to return.  If he'd remained uninjured I believe he'd have been a solid #2 WR to pair with someone like ARob and quick slot guy like Miller but that injury was pretty gruesome.

That was a #2 on that team. He wouldn't be this team's #4. 

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

Can't say that myself.  He's not on this team.

That's why we should have confidence in this team. Not a lot of mediocre players forced into playing time. If you give a guy enough reps the ball will find him. Look at Earl Bennett. People act like a bad player who gets playing time will never catch a pass. 

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah if you think he's better or was better than Robinson, Gabriel, Miller or Patterson right now, you're mistaken imo

Key word BD.....in your opinion.

If he had remained uninjured Meredith would be in his 4th season and 3rd with Mitch.  He's the same size as ARob, had decent speed, and could also play out of the slot.  He was a former college QB who also had a good feel for the passing game and how to get open.

So, as I posted I could easily see him in a rotation with ARob, and Miller for certain and butting heads with Wims as another big body WR.

But the fact is we really don't know how he would have progressed here and if he continued to be a solid target how that would have impacted other moves Pace has made so it's all hypothetical and only a matter of opinion.

9 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

That's why we should have confidence in this team. Not a lot of mediocre players forced into playing time. If you give a guy enough reps the ball will find him. Look at Earl Bennett. People act like a bad player who gets playing time will never catch a pass. 

I do have confidence and I don't believe Earl Bennett was bad.  He was no super star but he was a decent possession receiver.

Decent players playing on a bad team struggle to reach their potential.  I saw a lot of that playing ball for 15 years.  Top shelf guys may rise above it but even some of those may not.  Bennett was a 3rd round pick who had a couple of good seasons but was never destined to be a #1 WR.

Over the years we've had far worse WRs playing than guys like Meredith and Bennett.  This is more than likely the best and deepest group I've seen in 50 years so I'm a happy camper and even more so if guys like Bennett and Meredith couldn't make this team.  But....we still don't know that either.