Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dome

Nick Bosa sprains ankle, could miss preseason

Recommended Posts

Quote

San Francisco's injury woes continued on Wednesday afternoon but did not last too deep into the evening.

Niners defensive end Nick Bosa and cornerback Jason Verrett both underwent MRIs on their ankles after exiting practice with apparent injuries.

Bosa was diagnosed with an ankle sprain following his MRI, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday night. San Francisco is expected to be cautious with Bosa, meaning the 2019 second-overall pick should be held out of preseason games.

Verrett was also diagnosed with a minor ankle sprain, Rapoport added. That result is a big relief for the injury-plagued cornerback

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039391/article/niners-de-nick-bosa-cb-verrett-suffer-ankle-sprains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it the ankle that Verrett blew out last season? That guy simply can't catch a break...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bosa and bosa are both made of glass

I get a vibe these guys make a lot of “buisness decisions.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky for them the word "high" doesn't seem to be associated with it.

If it was a high ankle I'd say both would be at risk of missing regular season time but it appears not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Was it the ankle that Verrett blew out last season? That guy simply can't catch a break...

Achilles.  But the concern that he's suffering cascade injuries, and won't be back to his pre-Achilles form, is very real.

Re: Bosa, it's probably a LAS, and the 49ers are being cautious.   With Ford off getting a PRP to his knee (apparently this was a known issue in prior years, but not much is published on it), the pass rush is going to look pretty anemic without those 2 for the preseason games.    Adding both is a huge component to SF taking a step forward (it's not just about JimmyG's return, that D needs to step up if SF is serious about being a playoff contender).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Achilles.  But the concern that he's suffering cascade injuries, and won't be back to his pre-Achilles form, is very real.

Yeah, I know it was his achilles - I refer to it as "blowing out an ankle" much like 'blowing out a knee" can reference the ACL, MCL, PCL, Patella Tendon, etc...

From what it sounds like, it's the same ankle he's having issues with right now - to your point of cascading injuries, it might be the reality Verrett has to adjust to - he's simply not going to work himself past this. 

It's a damn shame, he was an incredibly talented CB when healthy - but achilles tears, patella tendon tears and lisfranc breaks are ruining careers nowadays. It'll be interesting to see if medical science will advance to a point to where these are synonymous with an ACL tear - where a guy loses a season but can come back with relative ease if he follows the instructions - but for now, it's as close to a death sentence for an NFL career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, I know it was his achilles - I refer to it as "blowing out an ankle" much like 'blowing out a knee" can reference the ACL, MCL, PCL, Patella Tendon, etc...

From what it sounds like, it's the same ankle he's having issues with right now - to your point of cascading injuries, it might be the reality Verrett has to adjust to - he's simply not going to work himself past this. 

It's a damn shame, he was an incredibly talented CB when healthy - but achilles tears, patella tendon tears and lisfranc breaks are ruining careers nowadays. It'll be interesting to see if medical science will advance to a point to where these are synonymous with an ACL tear - where a guy loses a season but can come back with relative ease if he follows the instructions - but for now, it's as close to a death sentence for an NFL career.

The unknown variable with skill-position players is that Achilles' injuries often occur as a wear/tear phenomenon - so players are usually well past their physical primes when it happens.   The few success stories with skill position players occur with players who were both young AND very talented (DT, Crabtree as WR's, Sydney Jones appears to be a case for young CB's - Steve Smith is just a physical freak, and why I think he was able to return even at age 30).  It's tough to rank Verrett, because he was at the peak, but he had a ton of baggage injury-wise before the Achilles.     While there have been no success stories at RB, there have been no great talents who've had the injury when they were really young.    

I don't know that advances in surgery or recovery (PRP, etc.) will advance Achilles recovery unless they address a root cause that so far no medical advances address - how poorly supplied the Achilles is in terms of blood flow.  The poor supply is why it wears down and eventually tears completely, and why rehab from it is one of the toughest recoveries around.      

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bosa and bosa are both made of glass

I guess it runs in the family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ugh

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bosa and bosa are both made of glass

pretty much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×