Pre-Season Week One: Carolina Panthers @ Chicago Bears

RJ_11

I won't be watching this live as I'm in work tomorrow, but so help me god, it's been 214 days since the Bears played, and I am READY to read a Game Day Thread again.

I doubt we see many starters tonight, but what are we all looking out for? Few things for me:

- Very interested in the back-up TEs. Will Shaheen be healthy enough to go? Who impresses most from Bunting, Raymond and Richardson - Ellis Richardson apparently had a great practice on Monday after hearing nothing about him all through camp beforehand

- Get me a front row ticket for this kicker battle

- Who takes the early edge in the battle for the last one or two WR spots? I'm pulling for Wims

- OL depth, looks like UDFAs Bars and Mustipher have been with the 2s, so should see plenty of them, are they good enough to make this roster? Has Coward taken another step forward from last pre-season to prove he can be our primary backup OT?

• Like 2

I'd like to see our depth and players that you don't see that often.

Iggy as ILB?
How good is Fitts?
I'd like to see Bars, is he healthy? I heard he was carted off the practice field last week.
Kicker battle is interesting of course, their first "pressure situation"
Will we see Skrine? Shelley? Who is the nickel?
I think everyone wants to see Javon Wims again.
Will we see Sowell run a route?
Will we see Shaheen?
I'd love to see Riley Ridley.
Will Kerryth White play?

1 hour ago, ColGerBear said:

I'd like to see our depth and players that you don't see that often.

Iggy as ILB?
How good is Fitts?
I'd like to see Bars, is he healthy? I heard he was carted off the practice field last week.
Kicker battle is interesting of course, their first "pressure situation"
Will we see Skrine? Shelley? Who is the nickel?
I think everyone wants to see Javon Wims again.
Will we see Sowell run a route?
Will we see Shaheen?
I'd love to see Riley Ridley.
Will Kerryth White play?

What about Montgomery?

9 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

I am excited to see him play but I am not expecting to see much or anything from the 1st team. That's why I listed 2nd or 3rd team player.

Well he is listed as the 3rd string RB on the depth chart. I suspect he will be playing.

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

What about Montgomery?

My gut feeling here is that Montgomery plays a series or two, gets a few runs and a pass or two and then gives way to Nall and Whyte. Enough to get his feet wet but not so much as to give him a bunch of unnecessary wear. I suspect we may see the same from Davis as well though but wouldn’t surprise me if he just sat. 

As for the rest of it I’m also curious to see how Iggy and Woods look at ILB since DT and Kwiatkowski may well both be gone after this year. One of them showing as a capable 2nd ILB to play next to Roquan would be a huge development. 

Nagy made it pretty clear he was going to make sure the kickers got opportunities. I’ll be curious to see if we get inside the 40 how his play calling changes. I’m 100% on board with and perhaps even expecting him calling in a 3rd down play at the 30 or so where he tells our QB to throw the ball out the back of the end zone or to take a knee. Hell, maybe even have the board ask the fans to get super loud while we are kicking to ramp up the difficulty. Or ice his own kicker. That’d be awesome. Preseason is about player evaluation and not winning so make of it what you’d like and do whatever you can to try to improve your team. If anyone were to do some stuff like that I think Nagy is the guy. 

FYI, it's probably going to look like a cluster so don't read anything into it.  

The backup O line hasn't looked very good and a lot of guys you want to see haven't been practicing.  So if they play tonight it will be like a first practice.

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

FYI, it's probably going to look like a cluster so don't read anything into it.  

The backup O line hasn't looked very good and a lot of guys you want to see haven't been practicing.  So if they play tonight it will be like a first practice.

My expectations for the watchability of preseasons is always very low. The real question is, which team-generated puff piece do we get at halftime this week? Expecting over 4 weeks to get Mitch, Nagy, Pagano and probably Mack. My money for today is on Mitch. 

• Like 1

Just hopin' for us to come out of it clean with no major injuries.

Nothing much to be gained besides giving the #2 and #3 guys some game looks and the rest of the camp fodder a shot at playing in an NFL game.

Good test for Fry and Piniero.