Pre-Season Week One: Carolina Panthers @ Chicago Bears

RJ_11

58 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

For second teamers and guys trying to make team

Winners:

Bush may win starting gig if Dix isn't careful.

Montgomery confirmed that this dude is more gamer than practice player.

Shelley

Abdullah Anderson (this was surprise)

Whyte looked good for having near zero practices. Looked fast.  

Losers:

Kwaitkowski can't cover or play in space.  Did have a nice inside run stuff, but a liability on field. 

Duck can't cover, too small and weak. Seems like they wanted to throw at him every play.

Fitts (makes me sad, big hopes) he had a lot of snaps and should have made his presence known.

I thought Anderson flashed a little last year as well.   I was expecting him to possibly make the roster this year but it sounds like Nick Williams still has an inside track as a reserve.

Nice to see Whyte have a good game.

Bush is maturing into a starter and should keep HHC-D on his best behavior.

Where was Duck playing?  Something I read said Safety?  He's pretty small for anything other than a Slot CB isn't he?

At what point do they throw in the towel on Fitts?  Seems he should have progressed more than he has.

As much as I love Kwiatkoski I believe he's too one dimensional for this defense and should be with a 4-3 team where he can play as a more conventional run stuffer at MLB or SLB.  Sounds to me like Kevin Pierre-Louis may bump him off the roster.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

After his adequacy filling in last year and seemingly continued growth I would be all for seeing if we can get him locked in under a modest extension at least through 2020 during the preseason. Bump him to a contract similar in structure to that of Mike Davis with a decent 2019 raise and essentially a reasonable 2020 team option. Would take the immediate urgency out of filling the safety spot next to Jackson for 2020 while also rewarding a kid who’s busted his *** to improve for 4 years now. Be a good locker room move too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I thought Anderson flashed a little last year as well.   I was expecting him to possibly make the roster this year but it sounds like Nick Williams still has an inside track as a reserve.

Nice to see Whyte have a good game.

Where was Duck playing?  Something I read said Safety?  He's pretty small for anything other than a Slot CB isn't he?

At what point do they throw in the towel on Fitts?  Seems he should have progressed more than he has.

As much as I love Kwiatkoski I believe he's too one dimensional for this defense and should be with a 4-3 team where he can play as a more conventional run stuffer at MLB or SLB.  Sounds to me like Kevin Pierre-Louis may bump him off the roster.

Yeah Nick Williams is balling too.  Anderson played well last night is all I am saying.   I think we need a big body behind Goldman so one probably makes it.

They had Duck playing outside CB and he got picked on - a lot.  He made 1 or 2 plays, but mostly not.

Fitts has a couple more games.  But he may still make it by default like TE because there is no one else is really stepping up past Irving and Irving is just adequate. I am forgetting Lynch - another adequate player.  So things aren't that bad.  How many OLBs are they going to keep?   If it's 4 than Fitts better step it up because he is outside top 4 right now.   

Pace likes Kwiatkoski for some reason, maybe attachment to his picks?  He might make it by default too because other guys didn't do much either.   I think Pierre-Louis should be #3, but not like he is setting world on fire.  I'd take him over any of other guys right now.  

Our TE, OT, and ILB depth kinda sucks right now.   Just reality of football for every team somewhere.  Why health is so important.

On positive side our S, CB, WR, RB, DL depth looks real good.  Daniel can step in and win a game or two as well at QB.   Bray needs to show more.  He played nervous, maybe he has that out of his system now.  

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Pace likes Kwiatkoski for some reason, maybe attachment to his picks?  He might make it by default too because other guys didn't do much either.   I think Pierre-Louis should be #3, but not like he is setting world on fire.  I'd take him over any of other guys right now.

If Woods keeps flashing I think Kwiatkowski could be in trouble. He’s woefully slow in pass coverage and gets exploited for it every time he’s on the field. He’s good for what he is, but what he is is incredibly limited. Frankly if Iggy looked good at all (and he didn’t yesterday) I’d almost say Kwiatkowski had an uphill battle to make the squad. P-L is a known as a solid ST player and offers far more athleticism as a reserve LB. 

• Like 2

This is really interesting. 

Below link is Montgomery's TD run (I understand its preseason), but its an interesting contrast.  

https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1159814398225059840?s=20

Exact same play with Howard vs. Patriots:

You can ignore much of my commentary as this was literally first run play I broke down of Bears watching coaching tape and I didn't realize yet it was a staple Nagy IZ play not a backside trap. I was flat wrong.  Oops.   At least I hedged and said I didn't know.   It can turn into a backside trap obviously as any zone play can be cut backside, but Leno is blocking it correctly as IZ unlike how I speculated he may have done it wrong - it is NOT a designed backside run.

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Woods keeps flashing I think Kwiatkowski could be in trouble. He’s woefully slow in pass coverage and gets exploited for it every time he’s on the field. He’s good for what he is, but what he is is incredibly limited. Frankly if Iggy looked good at all (and he didn’t yesterday) I’d almost say Kwiatkowski had an uphill battle to make the squad. P-L is a known as a solid ST player and offers far more athleticism as a reserve LB. 

I forgot about Iggy LOL.  Yes, he didn't look great either.  

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

After his adequacy filling in last year and seemingly continued growth I would be all for seeing if we can get him locked in under a modest extension at least through 2020 during the preseason. Bump him to a contract similar in structure to that of Mike Davis with a decent 2019 raise and essentially a reasonable 2020 team option. Would take the immediate urgency out of filling the safety spot next to Jackson for 2020 while also rewarding a kid who’s busted his *** to improve for 4 years now. Be a good locker room move too. 

I like the thinking. happy0144.gif

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He's good at what he's good at but not good enough at all of it.  That's my take.  But he's also dependable, can blitz a little, and he's a core ST guy.  You know Fangio talked about moving him to OLB.  I wonder if that would be a better spot for him?

Pierre-Louis as #3, not Iggy?  I still have hope for him.

Edited by soulman

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Woods kinda intrigues me.  They kept in around on the PS last year so there must be something they like.

He's listed at just 205lbs but in some of what I've read he said he's now closer to 220-225lbs.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is what I was thinking also, Woods flashed last night so maybe he keeps progressing and shows more going forward.

26 minutes ago, soulman said:

How did Bars look.

Just in my opinion the interior OL looked better than the tackles who looked horrible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is really interesting. 

Below link is Montgomery's TD run (I understand its preseason), but its an interesting contrast.  

https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1159814398225059840?s=20

Exact same play with Howard vs. Patriots:

You can ignore much of my commentary as this was literally first run play I broke down of Bears watching coaching tape and I didn't realize yet it was a staple Nagy IZ play not a backside trap. I was flat wrong.  Oops.   At least I hedged and said I didn't know.   It can turn into a backside trap obviously as any zone play can be cut backside, but Leno is blocking it correctly as IZ unlike how I speculated he may have done it wrong - it is NOT a designed backside run.

A little side by side for comparison.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Rule 1: If you are going to have swagger as a kicker do not badly miss the only real FG that you are asked to kick.

Our definitions of badly miss must be different. A miss is a miss and that’s all that really matters, but let’s not pretend like the kick was 20 feet wide. He missed it by a foot or so.