Week 1 Preseason DEN @ SEA GD Thread & PostGame Impressions

Broncofan

I guess HoF is its own week so this is officially Week 1 PS.  

Not much needs to be said that’s different from last week, other than we get to see 1st team for a bit this week - but SEA resting their starters so it’s a little more uneven.   

Still will be interesting to see how the O fares, especially in 3 areas: 

-1st team success; if you are facing the 2nd string O you should see it.  

-Lock’s 2nd game, it’s expected that he needs time, just we get to see how much last week’s struggles were due to nerves.   He likely faces 2nd-3rd team D guys on SEA so it’s a matchup meant for more success too.  

-Looking to see how the RB/WR auditions go.   Muhammad played really well, let’s see if he can keep it up.   Fewer drops all around would be great.   

On D:

-Interested in seeing if Malik Reed and Dremont Jones can keep up the dominance vs.  starters.  Will Fangio give them early time?  They certainly deserve it from last week. 

-With Joe Jones out & Jewell gimpy we should see a lot of early work for the ILB candidates vs SEA starters.   For Hollins this is a good test to see how much he’s learned in run D reads / taking on & shedding blocks (getting low enough to avoid giving ground and getting free from blocks from OL/FB/etc).   Pretty clear he’s got the athleticism but the ILB position is so different in those areas.  Obv a chance for the other guys too. 

On ST:

-Who gets the return reps?  That’s going to go a long way in deciding how many RB/CB/WR we keep so it’s worth tracking.   Langley can’t afford more mistakes like last week’s boneheaded blunder. 

I won’t see it until it airs on NFLN later this week, looking forward to see the progress.   But might as well get this thread started so others can chime in. 

Edited by Broncofan

Wow that’s some bad offense. Lindsay saves it with a few runs but an uninspired drive sputtered and ultimately stalled. Flacco’s overthrow the cherry on the top. 

Poor strategy, poor execution, poor everything. 

And Fangio looks like some homeless slob on the sideline. I mean dress the part even if you can’t play it.

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Couple nice throws aside, another pretty brutal "deer in headlights" night for Lock (with a drive or two to go). He should be playing better against third stringers. 

3 rough impressions of the O catching about 2/3 of game from bar: 

1.  Lock’s throw to Fumigali and his pressure hot read to Nick Williams, along with his mobility, shows the tools Elway fell in love with.  But the 2 sacks and the 3rd / 4th down misses on the 3rd-6th drives were all on him being so green.   It’s going to take a while.  

2.  The OL subs had a miserable night.   So many flags.   So many times they lost one on one.  

3.   Again a lot of drops.   Jeez.  

It’s also a crusher that Fort’s injury looks serious.  Fumigali hasn’t shown much to suggest he’s even a decent 2nd TE yet.   

On the plus side the run blocking that first drive and Freeman's burst were good to see.   

As for the D: 

1.  Reed and Holland created pressure on the edge.  Couldn’t quite close on a lot of plays but there’s promise.  

2.  The ILB play today was rough.   Dineen just can’t quite get to the spot in time.  And  Johnson was out of position a lot.   The Seachickens really exploited this.  It’s only a preseason game but man we weren’t good here at all.  

The crazy part was that our D was dominant the first Q - we held the ball for almost 11 mins that 1Q.   So that is hopeful.   But our lack of depth is stark - our subs weren’t even close to as cohesive as SEA’s subs - and that’s with Paxton Lynch as their QB.   Don’t be fooled he’s still got all the flaws - but Lock’s struggles and our lack of roster depth on D masked those flaws really well tonight. 

Finally 2 ST comments:  

1.  Cracraft / McKnight got most of the PR work and Booker / Muhammad the KR work.  That’s bad news for Langley.  

2.  OMG Waldman was awful tonight.   Worth watching next week; he can’t be this bad even on the road, will need to bring in competition if he doesn’t find his form.   

Otherwise I can’t add much not having the full perspective.   It’s still just the PS but pretty clear the O has a ton of work to go.   Wish I could give stars for standout performances but TBH there weren’t the same eye catching moments like in the HoF game.   Hopefully we will see more next week. 

Edited by Broncofan

So, it was great to see Lock get so many opportunities, make a few decent throws and get his first TD drive. 

But it's a mess right now. He's at a stage where any NFL blitz will ruin a play. That tells me adjusting to the game speed will be a long process, if it ever happens. He doesn't feel the rush and takes a long time to get through his reads. This is going to be a serious project, closer to Paxton than we'd hoped. 

A few thoughts.

-Drew is a talented thrower in over his head right now, and nothing should be expected of him until this time next year. Good for his confidence to get that first TD drive and get a lot of reps, but still leaves you a little nervous. 

-I think this team will be able to run the ball at a high level. Should be the strength of the offense. 

-I like the way Yiadom competes with better athletes, if he can consistently play the ball he will be a solid player. 

-Gotsis might quietly be our best DL. Looks like a more explosive Wolfe and has gotten better and better every year. 

-Justin Simmons still looking like a small corner when he has to make a tackle in space. Those are the tackles he needs to make every time. I hope Vic can turn him into the playmaker his athleticism suggests he can be, but he continues to frustrate. 

-A.J. did take a big step back, he is still the best healthy LB right now and a near 53 lock but the screen play was a really bad rep. I think it's time to give Dineen serious reps behind Jewell, Bierria is adding nothing. Joe has at least flashed once or twice in each game. There isn't much to feel good about in this group, time to mix it up.

-Justin Hollins is a ridiculous athlete. No idea what to expect but you can see why coaches would want to take a chance on developing him.

-Big step back for the entire 2nd unit on defense. Depth is a concern on the entire team at most positions.

-Special teams and 2nd unit OL performances were both solid F's. Glad we avoided a muffed punt, I guess. There were problems on nearly every special teams rep. As far as the OL goes, not convinced there is a single OL off the bench this team can trust. Not sure we can trust Bolles to follow his coaching, not sure we can trust McGovern to make clean snaps, not sure we can trust Leary to stay healthy. There's potential with this unit, but there's also potential to completely bottom out.

-Malik Reed is going to earn a roster spot, and may earn playing time at some point. Broncos just keep finding good edge rushers (Ray aside). 

-If this is all DeMarcus Walker ever is, that's a decent rotational DL for a couple more years. Maybe he'll have more to offer as a nickel DT this season, but he's a lot more stout and well-rounded, has taken advantage of a fresh start and earned another chance.

• Like 1

Well Fort is going to IR, done for season.  Ugh.   Fumigali still has time to eventually contribute being it’s only year 2, but looks nowhere close to helping early this year.   Butt still isn’t right physically which really is an awful predictor for recovery.   Fant / Heueurmann are going to have to be the main cogs and if either get hurt man it’s ugly after that.  

Sounds like Janovich might have torn his triceps too.   Ugh x2.   Really hurts our run game if that’s the case. 

EDIT: correction it’s a pec / shoulder injury.   Either way not good.

Edited by Broncofan

The offensive depth on this team is just horrendous save maybe TE, but that just took a blow with the Fort injury.

The 2nd unit OL can’t block anything.  I like the speed of the RBs, but both are under 200 pounds, struggle between the tackles, and really are just change of pace guys.  It may happen, but I just don’t see how they can cut Booker.  The receivers are very underwhelming as well.  

I think Denver’s starting offense will be solid, not spectacular, but better than what we’ve seen the last 3 years.  When injuries occur it could get ugly though. 

I didn't watch, but again, will not overreact to the first true preseason game with Flacco in. Death, taxes, and Broncos fans complaining about preseason performance. It's the 3 certainties in life. I'm not going to comment on Vic Fangio's wardrobe, because I can't think of something that I care about less when watching the team. I just want results. I care about how the team performs come Week 1, when the 53 players are selected by the staff. If they underperform, then it's on the staff. 

Depth is going to be an issue. That's not completely surprising, especially when the coaching staff turns over and you need to bring in a whole new set of guys. The hope will be that they improve as time goes on, but hope is not a strategy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What a joke Fangio is. 

Why not give Flacco a chance to develop some chemistry with the starting offense in game conditions? 

Two, why play Hogan with the first team? Because of some rule from the 70s that rookies don’t play? Give Lock some real work. 

Don't tell me you've turned on Fangio already !!!!!

• Like 2