Week 1 Preseason DEN @ SEA GD Thread & PostGame Impressions

Broncofan

This is pre-season - don't read too much into it. Both sides of the ball are learning new schemes. It will take time to gel. What we are looking for is incremental improvement over the pre-season games.

Looked at the highlights but will try and find the game later to look at it in full - from what I can see.

First-off - it looked like the refs wanted to throw a flag every play - I suspect a lot of the penalties on both sides would not be called in the regular season.

Run game looks effective - and a good run game will help the pass. Flacco looked competent and has a deep threat. I think the passing game will be good enough to help win games.

The OL is a work in progress - looks good with the run. McGovern as C is a little concern and hopefully he will improve with more playing time. In reality this OL is a new OL with only Bolles being a starter from last season. OLs always need time to develop as a unit.

I think WRs and RBs will be okay - I am still worried about TE - hopefully Fant will contribute. I wouldn't be surprised to see another TE brought in.

I think the defence will be fine. Yiadom looks like he is taking a big step forward from year 1 and some of the back-ups are showing flashes.

Overall I am optimistic (then again I always am at the start of a season). I think this team, if it keeps improving over pre-season, can go better than 8-8.

18 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

-Justin Hollins is a ridiculous athlete. No idea what to expect but you can see why coaches would want to take a chance on developing him.

I went to camp on the 5th and Hollins is an absolute freak of nature.  He’s tall, absolutely shredded, and incredibly athletic.  Literally can’t help but notice him at all times just based on his physique alone.  My wife would leave me for him in a heartbeat.

I think he’s going to be a good player, I don’t know that it will show up on the stat sheet, but I think he’ll be a valuable/versatile player.  He locked down Denver’s TEs in coverage the entire practice.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:46 AM, jolly red giant said:

This is pre-season - don't read too much into it. Both sides of the ball are learning new schemes. It will take time to gel. What we are looking for is incremental improvement over the pre-season games.

Looked at the highlights but will try and find the game later to look at it in full - from what I can see.

First-off - it looked like the refs wanted to throw a flag every play - I suspect a lot of the penalties on both sides would not be called in the regular season.

Run game looks effective - and a good run game will help the pass. Flacco looked competent and has a deep threat. I think the passing game will be good enough to help win games.

The OL is a work in progress - looks good with the run. McGovern as C is a little concern and hopefully he will improve with more playing time. In reality this OL is a new OL with only Bolles being a starter from last season. OLs always need time to develop as a unit.

I think WRs and RBs will be okay - I am still worried about TE - hopefully Fant will contribute. I wouldn't be surprised to see another TE brought in.

I think the defence will be fine. Yiadom looks like he is taking a big step forward from year 1 and some of the back-ups are showing flashes.

Overall I am optimistic (then again I always am at the start of a season). I think this team, if it keeps improving over pre-season, can go better than 8-8.

I kinda share your views, cautiously optimistic with some legit concerns and also a few positives.

On the road vs Seahawks, and we score on our opening drive, Flacco's first and only appearance. No penalties, no sacks, good run blocking. Only one offensive penalty the entire 1st half, quite a pleasant change.

Defensively in the 1st half we absolutely shut 'em down. Up until their last drive in the first half Seattle had 23 yds in total offense.

I'm not really surprised by our 2nd half. Have you guys looked at how young our roster is? Bodes pretty well for the future.

Anyway, it's the first preseason game against a playoff team on the road. Seems fine to me.

Oh, did Schlottman or Brendel show anything? If one of those guys steps up it'd be huge.

How smooth does De'Vante Bausby look out there? Honestly, he looks our best offseason acquisition right now. He has the size outside we've missed since Talib left. It's early doors, but seeing him out there with the 1's and excelling was great.

The preseason has shown what we already know about our Offense - there isn't enough talent to not be precise. Drops and penalties are not precise ... A lot of time to grow yet.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

29 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

How smooth does De'Vante Bausby look out there? Honestly, he looks our best offseason acquisition right now. He has the size outside we've missed since Talib left. It's early doors, but seeing him out there with the 1's and excelling was great.

The preseason has shown what we already know about our Offense - there isn't enough talent to not be precise. Drops and penalties are not precise ... A lot of time to grow yet.

Bausby & Yiadom have flashed showing their physical ability and they are actually learning - they’ve been in the right spots for the zone scheme a lot with fewer mistakes in assignment / cover recognition.  Looking at the game again both made a couple of nice plays in the 1H that were part of that 20 min dominance we had on D until the O just sputtered to a standstill.  Both backs have been beaten badly at times but that’s life as a CB.    I expect we will see the ups & downs from both this year - how they respond and progress will be huge for our 2020+ chances. 

If they both develop it will make it a lot easier to let CHJ walk - realistically for 2020 we can only pencil in Callahan in the slot as an above average CB starter talent.   Even if we got 2 “average” starters for 2020 in their rookie deals that would be a massive move up for our roster construction.     

Edited by Broncofan

20 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Bausby getting some burn in AAF was great for his career prospects, and I'm really glad we signed him. Yiadom, by all accounts, also looks much improved. This defensive scheme should allow for more aggression in the secondary which will be a nice change of pace from the past.