Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownsman

Duke traded to Houston

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well the 3 seasons prior to last year, when duke was catching 61/53/74 passes the browns QB were sacked an avg of 56x. I don’t think duke is going to be a savior of the sacks

Well - who were the QBs in those three years? I'm pretty sure they weren't Deshaun Watson. Who was the QB coach? Russell Wilson's old QB coach, or someone from the Hue Jackson coaching tree?

Watson's biggest enemy is himself - I think about 16 of the 62 sacks he took last season was because he hung onto the ball too long. Reducing the sack totals from 62 to 46 would be huge. Carl Smith was brought in specifically to teach Watson how to progress through the play quickly and get rid of the ball faster, and we've seen what he's done in Seattle. 

It's all hypothetical at this point, but the intent is crystal clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well - who were the QBs in those three years? I'm pretty sure they weren't Deshaun Watson. Who was the QB coach? Russell Wilson's old QB coach, or someone from the Hue Jackson coaching tree?

Watson's biggest enemy is himself - I think about 16 of the 62 sacks he took last season was because he hung onto the ball too long. Reducing the sack totals from 62 to 46 would be huge. Carl Smith was brought in specifically to teach Watson how to progress through the play quickly and get rid of the ball faster, and we've seen what he's done in Seattle. 

It's all hypothetical at this point, but the intent is crystal clear.

I went back to my old comment and included the QBs and their potential role and impact 

Im just saying, Duke wasn’t that great of a free lander IMO. It’s not like when the play broke down, QB was rushed out, or the QB had no idea what he was doing that he just found duke and dumped it to him to save the play. Just a lot of plays were designed routes out of the backfield or as a slot. I don’t remember them keeping him in the back field all that much to be a blocker and leak out for the dump off.

i believe that’s why duke was upset because he wasn’t going to get the designed plays for himself anymore cause of the talent ahead of him. He wasn’t the great of just dump off players for the browns, where you could just find him and dump it to him and watch him do work.

Edited by buno67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brooks1957 said:

This trade is the classic case of a "Win-Win" for both teams.

Win win win actually 

duke gets what he wants

browns get a 3rd pick 

hillard gonna get a huge confidence boost 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well - who were the QBs in those three years? I'm pretty sure they weren't Deshaun Watson. Who was the QB coach? Russell Wilson's old QB coach, or someone from the Hue Jackson coaching tree?

Watson's biggest enemy is himself - I think about 16 of the 62 sacks he took last season was because he hung onto the ball too long. Reducing the sack totals from 62 to 46 would be huge. Carl Smith was brought in specifically to teach Watson how to progress through the play quickly and get rid of the ball faster, and we've seen what he's done in Seattle. 

It's all hypothetical at this point, but the intent is crystal clear.

Was it only 16?  That surprises me :-P.  Again I think he could be a STUD if he learns to get the ball out faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Was it only 16?  That surprises me :-P.  Again I think he could be a STUD if he learns to get the ball out faster.

I think, but it could be much higher. MUCH higher. It's also not counting the times he takes off and doesn't hit the deck with a slide - that's probably what got him hurt the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's a fleecing at all. This is a fair market trade.

After all, Duke was a 3rd round pick, and has done nothing but prove that value in the NFL. His 6.5 yards per touch are exactly what you want out of the role he had.

The Texans now have that kind of production under a reasonable contract for 3 more years.

This is what good teams do when they have a star QB on a rookie contract. Making small sacrifices towards the future to maximize their window now is a sound strategy.

It's just not what Dorsey is doing. The Browns are trying to build a dynasty, not just a good team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

I don't think it's a fleecing at all. This is a fair market trade.

After all, Duke was a 3rd round pick, and has done nothing but prove that value in the NFL. His 6.5 yards per touch are exactly what you want out of the role he had.

The Texans now have that kind of production under a reasonable contract for 3 more years.

This is what good teams do when they have a star QB on a rookie contract. Making small sacrifices towards the future to maximize their window now is a sound strategy.

It's just not what Dorsey is doing. The Browns are trying to build a dynasty, not just a good team.

Its a fleecing because of the market.  The Bears only got a 6th rounder for Jordan Howard.  Duke is ostensibly going to be a change of pace/3rd down back only.  This will be the highest pick traded for a running back since the Browns fleeced the Colts for TRich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

I don't think it's a fleecing at all. This is a fair market trade.

After all, Duke was a 3rd round pick, and has done nothing but prove that value in the NFL. His 6.5 yards per touch are exactly what you want out of the role he had.

The Texans now have that kind of production under a reasonable contract for 3 more years.

This is what good teams do when they have a star QB on a rookie contract. Making small sacrifices towards the future to maximize their window now is a sound strategy.

It's just not what Dorsey is doing. The Browns are trying to build a dynasty, not just a good team.

I beg to differ.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams desperate to win do desperate things. 

 

Even if it is a 3rd ot will be a late one. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Teams desperate to win do desperate things. 

 

Even if it is a 3rd ot will be a late one. 

 

 

I'm not completely sure about that. Texans could win as low as 7 games IMO. They have a brutal schedule this year and haven't really addressed their O-Line woes. They went on an improbable run to close the season that could've easily been worse.

Not trashing them because they're a fairly good team, but their win range is pretty big. Could be double digit wins or much worse. 7-9 teams finished with mid-round picks this past draft.

Edited by Vee-Rex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I beg to differ.

 

It's a fleecing by market value but the market value for running backs is way off. It's a passing league and there is a large pool of running backs to choose from but not many that can run, catch and block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I beg to differ.

 

You can beg. Doesn't change my mind. This fair market value for Duke Johnson. He's more than a RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works for me - we are all big boys here - capable of our own opinions. We will know for sure in 2-3 years who got the better of this trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×