Duke traded to Houston

CBrownsman

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

I don't think it's a fleecing at all. This is a fair market trade.

After all, Duke was a 3rd round pick, and has done nothing but prove that value in the NFL. His 6.5 yards per touch are exactly what you want out of the role he had.

The Texans now have that kind of production under a reasonable contract for 3 more years.

This is what good teams do when they have a star QB on a rookie contract. Making small sacrifices towards the future to maximize their window now is a sound strategy.

It's just not what Dorsey is doing. The Browns are trying to build a dynasty, not just a good team.

The problem I have with this trade for the Texans isn't that Duke Johnson wont be valuable to them.

Its that they used what will probably be a 3rd round pick to pickup one of the more expensive RB's in the NFL.

Had they drafted him in the 3rd round, he could be had for 3-4 million dollars over 4 years.

Trading away next years 3rd round pick for him, they will owe him 2.2 million this year, 4.1 million next year, and 5.1 million the year after that.

That is less money than Carlos Hyde got from us last year, who was the best running back on the free agent market.

To give up that kInd of money for a 3rd down back AND to give away a 3rd round pick to do so hurts.

I'm not saying it won't work out for them, they have the cap space with Watson under his rookie deal, so now is when you do it.

But with the market for RB's, and the fact that Chicago got a 6th for Howard, it is a little shocking that Duke got a 4th, maybe a 3rd for a guy who costs 10 times as much (not an exaggeration) and doesn't have anywhere near the production.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vee-Rex said:

I'm not completely sure about that. Texans could win as low as 7 games IMO. They have a brutal schedule this year and haven't really addressed their O-Line woes. They went on an improbable run to close the season that could've easily been worse.

Not trashing them because they're a fairly good team, but their win range is pretty big. Could be double digit wins or much worse. 7-9 teams finished with mid-round picks this past draft.

I agree, bob thinks career is on edge and he is mortgaging the future a bit for this year. 

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree, bob thinks career is on edge and he is mortgaging the future a bit for this year. 

I also think its risk reward.

The Texans have like 40 Million in cap space, while Watson is cheap why not use it.

They have like (3) third round picks, so similar how we signed Taylor for a 3rd but it was okay because we had 50 picks they could look at it the same way.

What is the chance a 3rd round pick busts for them?  There is a very low chance Duke will bust.

And it will help them right now, when their window is open because Watson is on an affordable deal.

The risk here isn't very high, and the reward is decent.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong.  The Texans are getting one of, if not the best 3rd down/change of pace back in the game.  Duke is a stud if used properly, and he is a safety net for Watson.  Barring Watson being injured I think there is very little chance Duke doesn't play 10 games.  

But Dorsey fleeced them........A RB that wanted to be traded, that is not a 3 down back, who is paid better than most starters in the league, for a 3rd is a fleecing.   If it ends up being a 4th it was still a hell of a trade. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I also think its risk reward.

The Texans have like 40 Million in cap space, while Watson is cheap why not use it.

They have like (3) third round picks, so similar how we signed Taylor for a 3rd but it was okay because we had 50 picks they could look at it the same way.

What is the chance a 3rd round pick busts for them?  There is a very low chance Duke will bust.

And it will help them right now, when their window is open because Watson is on an affordable deal.

The risk here isn't very high, and the reward is decent.

I like the trade for both teams to be honest, we should of led more with Duke rather than crow in the last few seasons. 

The market doesnt favor the trade, runningbacks value is still trending down not up in terms of pay.

• Like 1

Tremendous value. A fantastic trade given the market.

Win-win for both teams though b/c a out the backfield safety valve player is going to be Deshaun Watson's best friend given that porous offensive line. Duke could see Kamara type targets and really go off for them as Lamar Miller is trending toward JAG status.

Duke was an amazing Brown in terms of worksmanship and positive culture contribution even in the darkest times. Even when fans deemed him  weak and frail early in his career he always gave his all despite some injuries.

Good football player ... by all accounts a better and solid person.

Sad to see him go, and I'm glad he gets the trade he was seeking.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Win-win for both teams though b/c a out the backfield safety valve player is going to be Deshaun Watson's best friend given that porous offensive line. Duke could see Kamara type targets and really go off for them as Lamar Miller is trending toward JAG status.

Duke was an amazing Brown in terms of worksmanship and positive culture contribution even in the darkest times. Even when fans deemed him  weak and frail early in his career he always gave his all despite some injuries.

This is the correct take. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Well put, that's exactly my feelings.

Love the trade, Love duke, I hope he gets what he's looking for.

I'm sad it couldn't be with us, but based on the situation with Hunt I don't blame us...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Missed ya buddy.

Post more, mkay?

Respect. Lol, missed you and the FF-Bretheren too..

Football has commenced... work busyness has subsided .... Good to be back to discuss football and exchange banter and jabs.

We're all Just a couple of regular guys...

... some ALL-22 playing in the background...

.... a little FF and chill.......   know what I mean? 

*Insert innapropriate Sean Connery image here*

----------------------------------

Post more?

source.gif

I'm already on page 4 of "Context 5.0: The Hue Jackson Era Revisted-Again"

giphy.gif

• Like 5