Duke traded to Houston

CBrownsman

Pleasure doing business with you, again. Seems like our deals work out well for everyone involved - Deshaun Watson, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward and (eventually) 2020 3rd round pick.

Price is a bit high, but Houston is looking to get an extra 3rd from Tyrann Mathieu going to KC (maybe even another one from Kareem Jackson going to Denver). So, a mitigated cost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Pleasure doing business with you, again. Seems like our deals work out well for everyone involved - Deshaun Watson, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward and (eventually) 2020 3rd round pick.

Price is a bit high, but Houston is looking to get an extra 3rd from Tyrann Mathieu going to KC (maybe even another one from Kareem Jackson going to Denver). So, a mitigated cost.

You got a good player. Running backs are so devalued that this seems like a lot but it's still an important position and he does everything well so it should work out if the Texans O-Line can do their job. If nothing else he can catch 70 passes. He is powerful for the type of player he is, not extremely quick or he would be a pro bowl type player.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah you will hear nothing bad about Duke from Browns fans.  I hope he works out for you.  He is a really good receiving back and very illusive.  He has gotten much better at blocking too.  Hopefully he can show off when hes not behind Chubb and Hunt.  

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

You got a good player. Running backs are so devalued that this seems like a lot but it's still an important position and he does everything well so it should work out if the Texans O-Line can do their job. If nothing else he can catch 70 passes. He is powerful for the type of player he is, not extremely quick or he would be a pro bowl type player.

The pass catching is the big one - QB coach Carl Smith is drilling it into Deshaun Watson that he has to get rid of the ball quicker, and the best way to do that is to flip it out to a RB. With coverage dictated so heavily to DeAndre Hopkins, Duke will have some room to move in.

I like this trade.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The pass catching is the big one - QB coach Carl Smith is drilling it into Deshaun Watson that he has to get rid of the ball quicker, and the best way to do that is to flip it out to a RB. With coverage dictated so heavily to DeAndre Hopkins, Duke will have some room to move in.

I like this trade.

Good.  Deshaun is going to get himself killed if he keeps waiting for receivers to get open and try to hold onto the ball as long as he does.  If he gains that internal clock he will be dangerous and a much lower injury risk for you guys.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Good.  Deshaun is going to get himself killed if he keeps waiting for receivers to get open and try to hold onto the ball as long as he does.  If he gains that internal clock he will be dangerous and a much lower injury risk for you guys.

Bingo, and Duke will make that development come along MUCH quicker. 

• Like 1

Just now, CBrownsman said:

Oh Dang!!!! I thought it was just if he got so many yards.  I assume were getting the 3rd with that stipulation!

Dorsey is a freakin magic man. I thought a fourth round pick was great value, now it will most likely be a third round pick. He straight up robbed them 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Dorsey is a freakin magic man. I thought a fourth round pick was great value, now it will most likely be a third round pick. He straight up robbed them 

If Duke catches 40 passes that prevent 20 Deshaun Watson sacks, then it's well worth that price.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

If Duke catches 40 passes that prevent 20 Deshaun Watson sacks, then it's well worth that price.

Not denying that.  But can't Lamar Miller catch passes out of the backfield.  I don't argue that I REALLY like duke and hes a great pass catcher, but is he 3rd round pick better than who else you could have in the draft, especially considering hes the 11th most expensive RB in the NFL

8 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Not denying that.  But can't Lamar Miller catch passes out of the backfield. 

His role is to serve as the two down guy. He CAN, but the team prefers to split up that responsibility to keep a guy fresh. Miller will get the bulk of carries and a few targets at RB. Duke will get the bulk of the targets at RB and a few carries. If either gets hurt (they sound similar in that respect - they don't miss time, but they get nicks and bruises) the other can absorb the carries or targets.

If I can get another Lamar Miller for a 3rd round pick, I'd take it.

I don't argue that I REALLY like duke and hes a great pass catcher, but is he 3rd round pick better than who else you could have in the draft

It would be contingent on who we'd get in that 3rd round pick - and the Texans will have two other 3rd round picks with the comp picks earned from Tyrann Mathieu and Kareem Jackson's departure.

It would be NICE to have all three, but two + a pass catching RB is just as good for this team (especially considering one of those picks would probably be used on an extra RB - one who might not be as capable as Duke). 

especially considering hes the 11th most expensive RB in the NFL

Ok, this one might sting a bit. Team control for the next three years is nice, but didn't know he made THAT much. But ...with $40mm in cap space, it's not a killer situation. Just kinda bad.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well the 3 seasons prior to last year, when duke was catching 61/53/74 passes the browns QB were sacked an avg of 56x. I don’t think duke is going to be a savior of the sacks. I know Watson is better than any of those QBs he played for over that time, by a wide margin but Duke wasn’t making his living just being the safety outlet. A lot of his catches, were off of designed plays and routes for him

Edited by buno67