Browns send Duke to Texans

Chiefs_5627

36 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I like Duke a lot, but given the trade price for RBs recently, I can't help but think the Texans got hosed a bit here. How surprising, the team without a GM didn't get good value in a trade. It's almost like you need a GM.

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

welp 3rd it is.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it - the Texans are certainly getting a 3rd after Tyrann Mathieu signed with KC and a 3rd might develop from Kareem Jackson going to Denver. 

Price IS high, but the potential return on that investment is more than what you'd get from a 2020 3rd rounder.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

There is a crazy good potential 2020 class of RBs. Why waste a 3rd round pick? Don't like the value for Houston. 

It's not set that the Texans WON'T go this direction. Starting RB Lamar Miller is in the final year of his deal, and I'm pretty certain signing a RB to a 3rd contract isn't in the cards.

So you'll have Duke and (insert RB here) in 2020, splitting the work.

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm not going to lose sleep over it - the Texans are certainly getting a 3rd after Tyrann Mathieu signed with KC and a 3rd might develop from Kareem Jackson going to Denver. 

Price IS high, but the potential return on that investment is more than what you'd get from a 2020 3rd rounder.

I get that HOU has a huge window to contend right now.   IND is dependent on Luck and JAX/TEN are facing major problems.  Duke’s skill set really expands what the HOU O can do now.     In that context overpaying for a RB who helps now is understandable, just that it’s an overpay regardless.   

The trickier part is that teams looking to sell will likely keep asking for the moon with BoB as de facto GM.  That’s the long term risk - we’ve seen guys who couldn’t exercise discipline get worked over time and again.   WAS’ price for Trent Williams probably went up with this deal.   Time will tell if this was a one-off because of the window / opportunity / need equation this time.    It’s only 1 deal so it’s not a pattern yet.   Just bears watching.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

I get that HOU has a huge window to contend right now.   IND is dependent on Luck and JAX/TEN are facing major problems.    In that context overpaying for a RB who helps now is understandable, but it’s an overpay regardless.   

The trickier part is that teams looking to sell will likely keep asking for the moon with BoB as de facto GM.  That’s the long term risk - we’ve seen guys who couldn’t exercise discipline get worked over time and again.   WAS’ price for Trent Williams probably went up with this deal.   Time will tell if this was a one-off because of the window / opportunity / need equation this time.    It’s only 1 deal so it’s not a pattern yet.   Just bears watching.  

I can get this, and I can imagine people are calling BOB now to try to fill in other holes they have (Cardinals trying to get a 1st for Patrick Peterson, Washington trying to get a 1st for Trent Williams, etc). 

I hope that BOB and the other GMs exhibit some "plate discipline" here. It's just THIS season, Nick Caserio (or someone from the Seattle tree) will keep this in check for 2020 and beyond...