Browns send Duke to Texans

Chiefs_5627

With a smart coach you could get more out of Duke johnson, I think he could be a guy that gets 600 rushing and 800 recieving. 

I see him as a multirole player, rb, 3rd down back, slot and wr. 

Best as a 3rd down back, slot, running back and then wr. 

His routes are solid and his hands are very good. 

He is a smart runner but his lack of bulk hurts him, if he gets hit he gets stonewalled. He doesnt get injured as much as he gets hurt, he has left a lot of games when has got jacked up. 

Smart player, good dude.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can get this, and I can imagine people are calling BOB now to try to fill in other holes they have (Cardinals trying to get a 1st for Patrick Peterson, Washington trying to get a 1st for Trent Williams, etc). 

I hope that BOB and the other GMs exhibit some "plate discipline" here. It's just THIS season, Nick Caserio (or someone from the Seattle tree) will keep this in check for 2020 and beyond...

trading away a lot of future picks is not going to make the GM job very enticing for whoever they are trying to hire.

Houston got a good player, but the conditional 3rd has the potential to be in in the 70ish range, which is obviously great value for the browns for a RB making 5 million who wont be an everydown back

Edited by N4L

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Houston probably slightly overpaid but if Duke plays healthy, as said by others, this is a good trade by them. 

Agreed if he helps them get some w's then it is worth it for a few years of better than average production.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Agreed if he helps them get some w's then it is worth it for a few years of better than average production.

The key part of what you said too is a few years, he is at a good age as far as RBs go and his ability to be a receiver as well as a Runner is really good help take pressure off of Watson.

Sometimes it's the nature of the business that you've gotta overpay for good fits to your roster and I think this is a good example of it. I dont usually get a thrill out of 'mid-level' trades but I feel like this was a really good one for both parties 

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The key part of what you said too is a few years, he is at a good age as far as RBs go and his ability to be a receiver as well as a Runner is really good help take pressure off of Watson.

Sometimes it's the nature of the business that you've gotta overpay for good fits to your roster and I think this is a good example of it. I dont usually get a thrill out of 'mid-level' trades but I feel like this was a really good one for both parties 

Duke makes a 3rd contract if he wants.

Reciever not a power back, doesnt wear down as much 

Low mileage

High skill.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

trading away a lot of future picks is not going to make the GM job very enticing for whoever they are trying to hire.

Houston got a good player, but the conditional 3rd has the potential to be in in the 70ish range, which is obviously great value for the browns for a RB making 5 million who wont be an everydown back

He is only making a little over 2 million this year so the contract was good for 2019 and I would have been happy to keep him a Brown for the year. It's over 4 and 5 the final two years so he likely wasn't going to be a part of our plans after this season so a 4th or likely 3rd is good value for the Browns for a player that wasn't likely to be on the roster next year. The Browns were better with him and that part isn't great but too much value to hold on to a player who wanted traded and is easily replaceable if everyone stays healthy. Otherwise we may miss him until Hunt plays week 10.

Edited by Thomas5737

26 minutes ago, N4L said:

If this was a one year gig, sure. I'm very certain anyone who takes the GM gig is taking a 3-6 year view as far as planning and development is concerned.

If you're focusing on draft to draft on a year to year basis, you're probably a GM on the hot seat.

26 minutes ago, N4L said:

It has the potential to be in the mid 90s as well, so it's an unknown quantity. Even then... how many 3rd round picks hit? 20%, if we're being generous? You know Duke Johnson is going to "hit" in comparison to anyone in the 2020 draft because he's already been successful in the NFL, usually as a part of a very bad offense. 

Instead of the Texans spending a 3rd round pick next draft (to probably draft a RB) they get that guy a year early and as close to "bust proof" in terms that you know he'll be good at the next level. What's to dislike on this one?

We don't even know WHICH 3rd round pick it is at this point - Houston is pretty assured to get a comp pick for Tyrann Mathieu, and might even get one for Kareem Jackson - so it's not like the Texans are suddenly missing a trove of picks like when the traded up to get Watson. 

Kinda like the deal for both sides.  Browns come out a little bit ahead on value probably, especially for a guy they really didn't need and seemed pretty clear was going to have to be moved.  But the Texans needed a guy, and Duke will add a different dimension there.  Hopkins drawing attention, with Watson scrambling to draw other attention...bound to open up some opportunities for Duke to make some hay in the passing game.

• Like 2