Browns send Duke to Texans

Chiefs_5627

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I feel like Duke is a good player when motivated.  Like they definitely need to extend him to pay this price. He can't play in fear of not getting a new deal that's how soft tissue injuries happen.

... he's under contract for the next three years. O.o

I think that's part of the asking price, you don't have to worry about contract discussions until 2022.

Good trade both ways I think. I like Duke as a receiver and 3rd down guy in the slot and out of the backfield, butt with Landry in the slot and Chubb/Hunt in the backfield he became irrelevant here. Houston will like him a lot I think.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

... he's under contract for the next three years. O.o

I think that's part of the asking price, you don't have to worry about contract discussions until 2022.

That is true but he is going to be a pricey back, will he earn that salary tho? I know ‘20 season he is the 12th highest paid back that year. ‘21season he is 7th/8th

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

That is true but he is going to be a pricey back, will he earn that salary tho? I know ‘20 season he is the 12th highest paid back that year. ‘21season he is 7th/8th

That's really my only gripe. The Texans have the cap space (upwards of $40mm right now) and that figure  should go up next season - so the actual dollars don't burn too much. 

Still sucks dropping that sort of scratch on a RB, but it shouldn't prevent any sort of contract discussions with Jadevion Clowney. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

That's really my only gripe. The Texans have the cap space (upwards of $40mm right now) and that figure  should go up next season - so the actual dollars don't burn too much. 

Still sucks dropping that sort of scratch on a RB, but it shouldn't prevent any sort of contract discussions with Jadevion Clowney. 

Idk I have no problem dropping that kind of money on a RB if they are worth it. Duke’s paycheck doesn’t match the impact he makes. I think he is in for a rude awakening for his next contract. 

I do wish him the best but it got annoying that he over inflated his self worth.  

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

was reading on Reddit that the actual cap hit is low

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Except that Zeke & MG3 are going to get paid by 2020, so he's at minimum the 14th highest back by then, and more like the 16th-17th if 2 RB's go Round 1 in the draft.    By 2021 he'll be in the teens, as Mixon/Cook/Kamara will be UFA's, and CMC will have his 5th year option taken (and add in the 1-2 RB's going Rd1 in what's supposed to be an elite RB draft class from 2020 in their year 2 salary).

The draft capital spent is the real overpay - the salary won't be crazy at all by 2020-21.   It's incredibly reasonable, if Duke is the 60+ percent touch and important RZ/pass/2-minute drill guy.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, tab said:

was reading on Reddit that the actual cap hit is low

He Carries not dead cap space because the browns gave him all his money up front. I think the browns made his contract easy to get out of for the 20 and 21 season. 

If you trade a 3rd him, would you really want to cut him in ‘20 or ‘21?

Just now, buno67 said:

Idk I have no problem dropping that kind of money on a RB if they are worth it. Duke’s paycheck doesn’t match the impact he makes. I think he is in for a rude awakening for his next contract

I do wish him the best but it got annoying that he over inflated his self worth.  

I can say with certainty that his next contract won't be with Houston. BOB/Caserio (because he'll be the GM by the time this contract is complete) is going the Belicheck route, finding RBs and deploying them as cannon fodder. 

Duke Johnson has an expiration date with the Texans, I'm pretty sure on that.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Except that Zeke & MG3 are going to get paid by 2020, so he's at minimum the 14th highest back by then, and more like the 16th-17th if 2 RB's go Round 1 in the draft.    By 2021 he'll be in the teens, as Mixon/Cook/Kamara will be UFA's, and CMC will have his 5th year option taken (and add in the 1-2 RB's going Rd1 in what's supposed to be an elite RB draft class from 2020 in their year 2 salary).

The draft capital spent is the real overpay - the salary won't be crazy at all by 2020-21.   It's incredibly reasonable, if Duke is the 60+ percent touch and important RZ/pass/2-minute drill guy.   

That is true. Still makes hIm a top15 paid back tho