Texans trade for RB Duke Johnson

Texansfan713

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'll take it - above average receiver out of the backfield, can take a few carries. I'm very satisfied with this deal.

Asking price is a little high - but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. 

Yeah, I'm a fan of this trade, but a bit surprised at what they had to give up for him. I wonder what the conditions on the draft pick are.

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Wow if he’s active for 10 games it’s a 3rd round pick. I hate that. 

We might have three 3rd round picks though - our original, the 3rd from losing Tyrann Mathieu and potentially a 3rd for losing Kareem Jackson. (Mathieu is guaranteed a 3rd, his deal sets that bar immediately).

So I'm not hating it. But, I don't love it either.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

We might have three 3rd round picks though - our original, the 3rd from losing Tyrann Mathieu and potentially a 3rd for losing Kareem Jackson. (Mathieu is guaranteed a 3rd, his deal sets that bar immediately).

So I'm not hating it. But, I don't love it either.

That’s a lot to give up for a 3rd down back. 

55 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

That’s a lot to give up for a 3rd down back. 

I don't think he's limited to just 3rd down duties. They'll design looks for him, they'll look to use him a bit in the run game.

I think he's going to pick up the touches Alfred Blue had on offense, with Damaera/Crockett picking up the ST work.

i genuinely think he's better than how he was used in Cleveland and I expect us to use him a lot more in different ways. Hue refused to use him and once Cleveland got chubb, he became kind of irrelevant. At least that's been my take on the Cleveland backfield

• Like 1

I haven't bothered to go back for the "I TOLD YOU SO" Apollodamus proof on Foreman, but I called that dude from jump street as a less talented lazy Ben Tate who's rep was propped up by about 5 plays and Longhorn homers and fantasy geeks.  Duke Johnson is the polar opposite as a try hard overachiever that hopefully actually gets utilized.  The o-line looked downright competent in the pre-season last year when Troymaine Pope was featured, so I'd LOVE to see us use DJ to shake up the routine and actually throw to a back on 1st down.  It also means we aren't just bringing back Alfred Blue which would have been the most O'Brien move ever.  Bringing in Melvin would have been pointless as he's simply not a dynamic back who would have been an overpay in both picks and $.  I imagine an actual GM might have been able to get some late round compensation for Foreman by running him out there against 4th stringers in the PS, but I'd rather see us give reps to Higdon.  Personally, I think Ferguson > Foreman so I don't care that he's a Colt. 3rd rounder was probably a bit high (if he isn't active 10 games, this trade is already a bust), but O'Brien doesn't seem to trust any young RBs, so Duke might actually get used unlike any DJ quality backs that are usually plentiful in the 3rd.