Preseason Week 1: Giants vs Jets

Acgott

1 minute ago, Shockey1979 said:

I actually missed the 1st series because I thought it was a 7:30 start so I cant really speak on it.

Eli started out with a 3 yard check down to the TE in the flats and then they ran twice with no success for a 3 and out. Not much to go off on for Eli, just saying it was the same personnel aside from QB yet completely different results.

Just now, w4rrior723 said:

Eli started out with a 3 yard check down to the TE in the flats and then they ran twice with no success for a 3 and out. Not much to go off on for Eli, just saying it was the same personnel aside from QB yet completely different results.

What you couldn't see from the broadcast is, according to people at the game, Eli had Ellison WIDE open down the field but just didnt throw it to him on that first play. Same ish, different year. 

• Like 1

Yea I love the man for what hes accomplished here. But I'm so ready to move on from him. I really hope DJ is starting by mid season. At least if he's in there learning and taking his lumps it'll feel like the season was a positive. Kinda like when Eli took over for Warner.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Ryan Connelly looking good, Bennie Fowler looked really good, Xman surprising me with some impressive hand usage and good pressure. 

Meanwhile, Perkins looks terrible, backup OL look bad (find me a team with good backup OL though), and TJ Jones rather unimpressive. 

I'm telling you guys, watch out for Bennie Fowler. He's a good receiver for this offense. 

My takeaways from this game...

1- Jones.. Kid was extremely impressive.

2- 1st team oline has the makings of the new "brotherhood". They just look big and nasty.

3-1st team defense, not impressed. Not much if any pressure on Darnold and alot of blown asignments. This was to be expected with all the new pieces we have brought in.

4- individuals i got good vibes from..Peppers, Baker, Jones,Connelly, Xman, Lawrence and even Cody Latimer.

Overall i like what i saw. We are a super young team on defence. Gonna need time work out the mistakes and learn the nuances of bettchers defence

My personal observations:

1. Jabrill was flying around the field.. fun to watch. Will probably give up some frustrating plays but also make some nice plays.
  2. Not a promising start by the defense as a whole. They couldn't stop the Jets offense AT ALL and gave up way too many 3rd down conversions. Also very little pass rush.
  3. Promising play by all the drafted rookies that played honestly. There is going to be a learning curve but they seemed to all make some splash plays. Julian Love had a great pass breakup as a safety. 
  4. Man oh man Perkins looked rough out there. The game was moving was too fast for him and just didn't see very much explosion at all. None of the RBs made any plays but he was a mess.
  5. Finally, not diggin' the Jets new unis. They're very... eh. That big blue lookin' niiiiice though B|

I was really expecting to see rookie D. Lawrence at NT.  Wasn't that his position in college?  At 342 lbs, according to nfl.com I just assumed he'd be playing Nose Tackle.

All of the quarterbacks performed well, which makes me think that our offensive line is better at protecting the quarterback and that NYJ were focused on rush defense.  We face the Bears next week a team that should give us a better idea of just how good this offense is in the passing game. 

While impressed with the pass protection, the unit was horrible at run blocking.  Didn't have a single running back average more than  3 however with only 14 rushing attempts they were clearly focused on passing the ball.

Defense struggled a little but that was expected with such a young group.  I talked about linebacker Davis being in the starting line up a couple days back, and he looked good out there.  Not sure how many blitz schemes that the unit committed to but our deep depth was the only two we managed to get.