Lions vs Pat's GDT

detroitroar

I know that it doesn't mean a whole lot, but you still want to see a more competitive game. The team didn't look good in the preseason last year and that carried over to the first half of the regular season too. 

I am a bit frustrated to see us get kicked around like that. Bob Quinn talks every year about how it's his goal to add depth to the team. He talks about it during free agency, he talks about it in the draft, that's his thing. Why is it, then, that our second and third string guys are still getting their butts handed to them? I know that the game doesn't mean a lot, that they don't really scheme for preseason games, but you still should see a bit more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theuntouchable said:

I wondered about Savage when he went down, it looked like it hurt. 

Gotta say Kudos to Kearse also. That injury looked nasty and he didn't even look like he was in pain from what I saw. 

I thought Ty Johnson looked like he's got some wheels. Pass Pro needs some work, but he looks like he can move. 

Killebrew got lost in coverage a couple times, but looked good outside of that. 

That (Savage) is what I had read on B/R app. He seemed to hold some promise as the Lions probable back-up. Back to the drawing board now.

I didn't watch this in full. A part of the game was being half-watched/listened to as I was putting some furniture together at home. The other part came from reading some articles afterwards. I had lost interest when they were down 20-0 and were being walked all over.

PJ Johnson started to show something on the DL. I think he's a PS guy but he stood out positively the last time I was really paying attention.

Again, it's the first game of the pre-season. We went 4-0 in 2008, so I'm not going to get too up in arms about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We all know it doesn't mean much.  None of the starters played outside of Slay playing a few snaps.  We for sure will be better but its still embarrassing watching out backups get murdered by other backups.  Shows our depth and young guys have a long ways to go which when we have injuries.  I still have hope, but that was an embarrassment yesterday.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I know that it doesn't mean a whole lot, but you still want to see a more competitive game. The team didn't look good in the preseason last year and that carried over to the first half of the regular season too. 

I am a bit frustrated to see us get kicked around like that. Bob Quinn talks every year about how it's his goal to add depth to the team. He talks about it during free agency, he talks about it in the draft, that's his thing. Why is it, then, that our second and third string guys are still getting their butts handed to them? I know that the game doesn't mean a lot, that they don't really scheme for preseason games, but you still should see a bit more. 

I hear you and I am also frustrated. However, we'll give it a bit more time. You do make some very good points though. We're already going into a season with a presumably difficult schedule ahead of us. Poor showings like this, demonstrating our lack of depth and talent, don't help there.

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed.

I dont agree at all.

NE had more starters/significant players out there than we did.

Jamie Collins and Winovich were out there beating up potential 3rd string olinemen.

Killibrew and Wilson got tons of snaps.

This game was strictly for evaluation....as it should of been, along with the 4th preseason game.

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Are you not a Lions fan too?

NFL fan. I used to like the Lions. After 5 years of losing I just watch everyone. Way less stressful. and can enjoy other teams and not be so hateful since they arent the Lions. I still wear my Calvin Johnson hoodie though. 

44 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I dont agree at all.

NE had more starters/significant players out there than we did.

Jamie Collins and Winovich were out there beating up potential 3rd string olinemen.

Killibrew and Wilson got tons of snaps.

This game was strictly for evaluation....as it should of been, along with the 4th preseason game.

That's the point, its evaluation of our depth.  We tend to have a bunch of injuries and it looks like we don't have much ready to go in and play.  The evaluation of this game is that our depth isn't very good and we still have a ways to go.  We are trying to find the last 10ish guys on the roster and right now, those guys are a ways behind NE's.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That's the point, its evaluation of our depth.  We tend to have a bunch of injuries and it looks like we don't have much ready to go in and play.  The evaluation of this game is that our depth isn't very good and we still have a ways to go.  We are trying to find the last 10ish guys on the roster and right now, those guys are a ways behind NE's.

You say we as if every team doesnt battle injurues. Just making sure you are on the same page. It comes down to coaching...the playbook...shouldn't really matter who's out there. Joe Flacco has a ring...Kaep almost had a ring...talent is just a plus and makes it fun for us to watch. You can win with depth guys and a good coach...sounds almost like the Patriots. The best team to play the game 

3 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

NFL fan. I used to like the Lions. After 5 years of losing I just watch everyone. Way less stressful. and can enjoy other teams and not be so hateful since they arent the Lions. I still wear my Calvin Johnson hoodie though. 

It took you only 5 years to jump ship? @diehardlionfan has been sticking around for like 40 years.

I think everyone here would agree, we all want to see good football in general. It would be even more special to most of us here if those games were by the Lions. Maybe it's just me but that's when things get way more exciting. I can only imagine what it's like being a Browns fan right now as a team that appears to be on the rise.

Just now, Karnage84 said:

It took you only 5 years to jump ship? @diehardlionfan has been sticking around for like 40 years.

I think everyone here would agree, we all want to see good football in general. It would be even more special to most of us here if those games were by the Lions. Maybe it's just me but that's when things get way more exciting. I can only imagine what it's like being a Browns fan right now as a team that appears to be on the rise.

Yeah Browns are fun in Madden...but just think of the pressure and the expecttion. If they dont win a playoff game...honestly make the NFC championship with that roster. They are a huge bust and it wont last long. Guys like Garrett will just leave. But I hope to see a new team like them over the Steelers or Patriots. But yes yes I do still get excited when the Lions do well. Jst was a waste of Sundays almost every time. And I cut it was short because my dad has been watching since the first super bowl. and we all know how many rings we have...just makes me pessimistic. 

33 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

You say we as if every team doesnt battle injurues. Just making sure you are on the same page. It comes down to coaching...the playbook...shouldn't really matter who's out there. Joe Flacco has a ring...Kaep almost had a ring...talent is just a plus and makes it fun for us to watch. You can win with depth guys and a good coach...sounds almost like the Patriots. The best team to play the game 

Again, exactly my point.  Every team has injuries and needs depth.  We will inevitably have them.  The evaluation of this game is that our depth sucks more than others depth.  You can win with depth players.  But not if they suck.  

Side note, Kaep and Flacco were on teams full of talent elsewhere.  Not to mention Kaep was actually pretty talented in the right system. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Again, exactly my point.  Every team has injuries and needs depth.  We will inevitably have them.  The evaluation of this game is that our depth sucks more than others depth.  You can win with depth players.  But not if they suck.  

Side note, Kaep and Flacco were on teams full of talent elsewhere.  Not to mention Kaep was actually pretty talented in the right system. 

true true. and yeah also true. Thought you were saying Lions seem to have more injruies type of deal. I was like no way. Slim has been on for as long as I can remember being on here.