Pre-Season Games are Back!! Week 1 Discussion Thread

DoleINGout

First half of the Lions game and a lot of guys are looking good. I'm becoming convinced the Patriots will carry 8 receivers. 😉 The unfortunate aspects so far:

-Tight ends: Izzo dropped a touchdown/LaCosse injured/Where's h-back Andrew Beck?

-Kicking game: Gostkowski blows another easy field goal. 🙀

-Obi Melifonwu in coverage is still meh.

1 hour ago, Dan_Bali said:

How has Stidham looked?

Pretty good for a rookie in his first game. He's made mostly good decisions and has shown a decent command of the offense. He's also showed off that he's got a pretty decent arm and can be pretty accurate. 

His placement has been spotty at times, either behind guys or whatnot. Also, he hasn't sensed pressure as well as you'd like, but that can be improved. 

Overall pretty good work, seems like there's a foundation there to build off of.

1 hour ago, Dan_Bali said:

How has Stidham looked?

Mostly positive although a few negatives were times he seemed to not have confidence at times, become slightly indecisive, and hesitate. Sounds worse than it looked. Overall, played well and should be very optimistic.

Here some of my observations on last nights game. Names in bold, I was really impressed. 

Joejuan Williams  - lacks discipline, sloppy technique, more work needed however there is raw skill. 

Chase Winovich - Wow, He is non stop, natural ability rushing passer. Explosive off the line.

Shilique Calhoun -  Not sure,  looked good on some plays . Need to see more

Derek Rivers - Not sure, yes he had two sacks however Detroit OT was useless.

Ryan Izzo - Very impressive blocking, not much in the catching department however he could be a major asset in the running game. I like what I saw.

Jakobi Meyers - WOW. I can't believe he wasn't drafted. I can't wait to see him with Jules on the field and see him with one on one coverage. 

Braxton Berrios - Good game in the punting department. I need to see more reps in the passing game. Was it him or the lack of defense from Lyons.

N'Keal Harry -  It hard to judge he was injured early. Major skill set.

Byron Cowart - Played in the 4th however he has all the tools. He was killing the OL line. Impressive.

Duke Dawson - Put a fork in him.

Terrence Brooks - Steady, did his job.

Jarrett Stidham - Has skills, looked good however he needs time and coaching. I not sure if he ready for regular season. Lets see what happen when he get a season under his belt. IMO based only on last night he has a bright future but he will need time to learn.

PS  You can see why the Bengels management stink. They took Ryan Finley and JM was his go to guy, 90+ WR. Not even a 7th round choice!!!

One player I can't stand. Keion Crossen. He is a crying *****. Every play when he called for a penalty he up waving his hands , looking at the bench complaining on the interference calls.   He tackles a guy in coverage a blatant PI and he up begging for justice. STFU idiot.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

Brian Hoyer looked good, Stidham looked good also.  Dan Skipper looked decent as a backup OT and Froholdt was solid at the point of attack.  Winovich looked damn good on the edge and so did Rivers who got a ton of pressure as did Calhoun, they should easily take the place of Flowers leaving.  Harry looked very solid, Meyers I liked in college and he looked explosive and tall.  Simon looks like a great fit, JC Jackson is very smooth at corner.

Not a ton of super star names but they got a ton of very solid looking football players who are young that is for sure.  They sure know how to pick them and once you want to get paid they will let you go and get someone else to replace you who is cheaper and similar in terms of production.

It could easily be one of their better defenses if Collins can get back in the mix at LB, if Rivers and Calhoun can get some rush off the edge along with Winovich and if Bennett can stay healthy.  The secondary is very solid and they could be a top of the line group no doubt.  Especially if they can still run the ball like they did last year.