Propose A Trade For John Wall

the lone star

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Fans are a lot more open to tanking now, it feels like those high picks give hope.  What hope is there with Wall's contract on that roster the next 4 years?  None.  Apathy is way worse than anything else in sports.  

I mean the FO has been completely inept with Grunfeld and one of the guys that was in the regime took over. Realistically this team is not going to build a contender either way lol. I think the most likely way for them - esp with flattened lottery odds - is to try to keep Beal happy and hope that Wall comes back as a decent player.

If I was running the team in a vacuum of course it makes the most sense to deal Beal now for maximum return and bottom out/accumulate assets while waiting out the Wall contract. But that's a lot to ask of an organization/fanbase. 

I think trading Beal to dump Wall is an absolute non-starter though. If you're gonna deal him, get something valuable in return to spark the rebuild or build around. I think they just gotta battle thru the Wall contract. 

Just now, champ11 said:

esp with flattened lottery odds - is to try to keep Beal happy and hope that Wall comes back as a decent player.

For what purpose?  Hoping for a 5 seed?  

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

But that's a lot to ask of an organization/fanbase. 

See to me, asking a fanbase to have no hope for competing over the course of this contract is way worse.  

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

For what purpose?  Hoping for a 5 seed?  

See to me, asking a fanbase to have no hope for competing over the course of this contract is way worse.  

This is where the disconnect in this conversation always leads.

Tanking does not equal getting a superstar. It doesn't even guarantee getting a good player. You could be Philadelphia....or you could just as easily be Orlando or Phoenix. And looking at Washington's track record.......it's easy to guess which route Washington would go.

So yeah.....getting a mid playoff seed and continuing to build around a young star would be a decent option for a poorly run franchise.

Just now, champ11 said:

This is where the disconnect in this conversation always leads.

Tanking does not equal getting a superstar. It doesn't even guarantee getting a good player. You could be Philadelphia....or you could just as easily be Orlando or Phoenix. And looking at Washington's track record.......it's easy to guess which route Washington would go.

So yeah.....getting a mid playoff seed and continuing to build around a young star would be a decent option for a poorly run franchise.

Settling for mediocrity isn't a way to build a team though.  

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Settling for mediocrity isn't a way to build a team though.  

Says who? What is mediocrity? 

Do you think Washington fans would accept being the grit and grind Grizz for the next 5-10 years or would rather gamble on tanking to potentially get the chance to draft a generational talent? 

Here's the thing about the NBA. You need a top 20 player of all time to win a championship. Titles just aren't realistic for most teams in the NBA. I don't see what the issue is with accepting reality, personally. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

Says who? What is mediocrity? 

Mediocrity is never winning 50+ games in a season.  Mediocrity is never being higher than a 4 seed in the East.  Both of these have been steady since John Wall joined the Wizards.  Oh, and he's going to be much worse after coming back.  

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Do you think Washington fans would accept being the grit and grind Grizz for the next 5-10 years or would rather gamble on tanking to potentially get the chance to draft a generational talent? 

Gamble.  All day long.  Better than sitting through 5 years of knowing you'll never been among the best teams in the conference.  

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Here's the thing about the NBA. You need a top 20 player of all time to win a championship. Titles just aren't realistic for most teams in the NBA. I don't see what the issue is with accepting reality, personally. 

That isn't true.  You need a top 10 player in the NBA at that time, a future HOFer for sure but they don't have to be that level elite.  There's also a big difference from being someone like Portland who's really close to competing but isn't vs. what the Wizards are.  Even if John Wall comes back the Wizards won't be a top 10 team in the NBA.  

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Mediocrity is never winning 50+ games in a season.  Mediocrity is never being higher than a 4 seed in the East.  Both of these have been steady since John Wall joined the Wizards.  Oh, and he's going to be much worse after coming back.  

Gamble.  All day long.  Better than sitting through 5 years of knowing you'll never been among the best teams in the conference.  

That isn't true.  You need a top 10 player in the NBA at that time, a future HOFer for sure but they don't have to be that level elite.  There's also a big difference from being someone like Portland who's really close to competing but isn't vs. what the Wizards are.  Even if John Wall comes back the Wizards won't be a top 10 team in the NBA.  

I mean....the pistons and raptors are the only teams in the last 30 or so year that don't and we'll see where Kawhi ends up. There are 2 exceptions so I guess you can say it's not 100% true but it's pretty damn close to being a fact. 

I can see where you're coming from since the John Wall era kind of ran it's course. Tanking and going full rebuild will most likely end in way worse pain for Wiz fans than trying to build around Beal. I just reject the idea that it isn't an option to try and be a competitive playoff team and that it should be contender or tank/rebuild. 

really the differentiator for NBA teams is the front office. you don't need to tank to build a good or competent team - Denver, Utah, Milwaukee, Indiana are some current examples. maybe Washington proves to have a good front office and can manage a rebuild well

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I mean....the pistons and raptors are the only teams in the last 30 or so year that don't and we'll see where Kawhi ends up. There are 2 exceptions so I guess you can say it's not 100% true but it's pretty damn close to being a fact. 

I can see where you're coming from since the John Wall era kind of ran it's course. Tanking and going full rebuild will most likely end in way worse pain for Wiz fans than trying to build around Beal. I just reject the idea that it isn't an option to try and be a competitive playoff team and that it should be contender or tank/rebuild. 

really the differentiator for NBA teams is the front office. you don't need to tank to build a good or competent team - Denver, Utah, Milwaukee, Indiana are some current examples. maybe Washington proves to have a good front office and can manage a rebuild well

I know what you're saying about Phoenix and Orlando, but the owners of both of those are a joke.  The Wizards owner isn't great, but he did just win a title in hockey.  Its not like he's completely insane.  Grunfield was awful, and the fact that they kept his assistant is a joke but there aren't that many teams in the NBA right now that went full rebuild and didn't come out much better.  Even a team like the Hawks who completely blew it up is looking pretty exciting this year.  I would much rather have the Hawks roster than the Wizards.  

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

I think once Wall comes back and is healthy you'll see the Wizards trade him. The guy is a good talent, he should get a good return in a trade. 

He was a good talent. Then his legs went to **** and has the worst contract in the NBA.

He'll never get a good return in a trade.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

He was a good talent. Then his legs went to **** and has the worst contract in the NBA.

He'll never get a good return in a trade.

Yeah the Wiz will need to dump assets like crazy to get rid of him. I’d be shocked if Beal isn’t a part of a Wall trade.

49 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Yeah the Wiz will need to dump assets like crazy to get rid of him. I’d be shocked if Beal isn’t a part of a Wall trade.

If I'm the Wizards, I hang onto Wall, trade Beal, free-fall, tank, stockpile draft picks and young talent, then once Wall's contract is off the books, try to make a splash in free agency.

Maybe they can hype up Thomas Bryant and trade him too.