Daniel Jones is looking better than Haskins

Vladimir L

Just now, SkippyX said:

You are ABSOLUTELY supposed to be hyped about it.

You are not supposed to be combative with other fans about it in preseason when 5 other nobodies are also performing at an elite statistical level including Lauletta on your own team.

Go to the Giants section and predict 19-0, and Kurt Warner 2.0, and 50 TDs with 6000 yards. We won't stop you.

No one is going to stop you from defending Jones here but expecting us to bow down may not be a rational expectation.

I’m not expecting you to do anything, and my expectations for the Giants and Jones this season are actually quite tempered. They’re a young team, and Jones will go through growing pains before becoming a great quarterback. 

But considering everyone’s irrational reaction to the draft selection, why should I have to be rational now? Everyone passed judgment immediately, and now that there is evidence that they were wrong, they’re asking to hold off judgement? It’s like having your cake, and eating it too. If the reaction to the Jones pick weren’t so universally negative on draft day, I wouldn’t be here right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I’m not expecting you to do anything, and my expectations for the Giants and Jones this season are actually quite tempered. They’re a young team, and Jones will go through growing pains before becoming a great quarterback. 

But considering everyone’s irrational reaction to the draft selection, why should I have to be rational now? Everyone passed judgment immediately, and now that there is evidence that they were wrong, they’re asking to hold off judgement? It’s like having your cake, and eating it too. If the reaction to the Jones pick weren’t so universally negative on draft day, I wouldn’t be here right now. 

And for those who followed college football and didn't think highly of him as a prospect, why would their reaction to that selection be considered irrational? 

And no...there is no evidence that those people were wrong. 

Just now, Forge said:

And for those who followed college football and didn't think highly of him as a prospect, why would their reaction to that selection be considered irrational? 

And no...there is no evidence that those people were wrong. 

They need to take Jones as an example and rethink their scouting strategy.

There is certainly more evidence as to what type of player he will be now, than there was on draft day.

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Calling a mediocre QB mediocre isn't irrational.  

9 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Here it goes again:

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-i

If your GM thinks one thing and everyone else thinks another thing.... everyone else is not irrational.

Its not that he was picked. Its where he was picked. The draft capital and salary that went to him was too much given his college play, his physical abilities as measured at the combine, and his consensus overall projection as an NFL QB. Your own fans killed the pick and actually booed Daniel Jones the man days later at a baseball game.

If they had taken him at 17 the reaction would have be vastly different.. If they had taken him at 28 there would have been no reaction.

You think you have won in the preseason. Nobody wins in the preseason.

Ask the 4-0 Lions from 2008 about that.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

Just now, Gmen said:

They need to take Jones as an example and rethink their scouting strategy.

Based on what? Pre-season? Yeah, no thanks.  I hope he turns out to be great for you guys. I have no ill will toward him. But pre-season doesn't really mean anything to me, nor a lot of other people, and for good reason. He looks really good so far, and I hope that continues. But pre-season all star means as much to me as a team "winning the off season". 

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

There is certainly more evidence as to what type of player he will be now, than there was on draft day.

There's really not though. It's pre-season. 

21 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Rock with your guy Gmen. I think it's too early to say who will be better, but I think to some degree Jones has proven he has the tools and qualities that made him the approcaite #6 pick of the New York Giants in the 2019 NFL draft. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Here it goes again:

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-i

If your GM thinks one thing and everyone else thinks another thing.... everyone else is not irrational.

Its not that he was picked. Its where he was picked. The draft capital and salary that went to him was too much given his college play, his physical abilities as measured at the combine, and his consensus overall projection as an NFL QB. Your own fans killed the pick and actually booed Daniel Jones the man days later at a baseball game.

If they had taken him at 17 the reaction would have be vastly different.. If they had taken him at 28 there would have been no reaction.

You think you have won in the preseason. Nobody wins in the preseason.

Ask the 4-0 Lions from 2008 about that.

So the Giants were suppose to pay a 1 year starting college QB oppose to a 3 year starter who they personally had insight on because EVERYONE ELSE thought They should? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Based on what? Pre-season? Yeah, no thanks.  I hope he turns out to be great for you guys. I have no ill will toward him. But pre-season doesn't really mean anything to me, nor a lot of other people, and for good reason. He looks really good so far, and I hope that continues. But pre-season all star means as much to me as a team "winning the off season". 

There's really not though. It's pre-season. 

It’s not just preseason though. We’ve been hearing nothing but positive reports since OTAs. Are OTAs, training camp, and preseason ALL meaningless? All an aberration? Can Daniel Jones be such a good con artist that he gets drafted #6 overall, impresses everyone around Giants practices, impresses everyone in the preseason, but actually sucks? 

There are NFCE fans that certainly hope it’s all an aberration, but the smart money says no.

We’re going in circles here. 

24 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

How silly would Gettleman look right now if Daniel Jones was lighting it up for the Cincinnati Bengals, while the Giants were left waiting until 2020 to get a quarterback? He gets trashed for taking the best running back in the league over Darnold because of positional value, then he gets trashed for “reaching” for his quarterback? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.