Daniel Jones is looking better than Haskins

Vladimir L

32 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

By December, the Giants will be out of the playoff race and Jones will be working through rookie struggles while the Jets are threatening to unseat the Pats for the AFC East title.

Things can change but Gettleman is going to get beat up by the NY media until at least 2020. I'm glad both Darnold and Jones are in NY. Makes for some juicy storylines.

By the looks of it, Gettleman has put together two great drafts in a row.  Not just Saquon and Jones.  Will Hernandez, BJ Hill, Lorenzo Carter all look like good players from the 2018 draft.  From this draft Dexter Lawrence, DeAndre Baker, and Corey Ballentine look like they'll become real players in this league.  If he gets beat up by the media, it's only because it's the NY media, and that's what they do.  But he's done a great job in rebuilding this team and infusing it with young talent.  We're supposed to have $90 million in cap space next offseason.  He'll get a chance to solidify this team through free agency, and I expect they'll be competing in 2020.  #1 receiver will be the big priority.

Edited by Gmen

37 minutes ago, showtime said:

How did Haskins not beat out Keenum?  Keenum sucks. 

Is it because Haskins isn't ready, is playing poorly or the head coach is just stupid (like when the Browns started Taylor over Mayfield)?

Gruden is a huge PFF fan apparently (I have no idea how he possibly could have earned this grade btw):

All jokes aside, I wouldn't start Haskins right now either.  I've been a consistent proponent of sitting him his whole rookie season since the day we drafted him.  I know that probably won't happen, so, being realistic, he needs to sit out at least the first 5 weeks. 

He needs to clean up his footwork/mechanics to ever reach his potential, and I don't want to throw him out there against the defenses on this opening schedule, with our significant questions at OL, and have him revert back to poor footwork/mechanics due to the constant pressure he'll be facing:

Week 1: Philly

Week 2: Dallas

Week 3: Chicago

Week 4: NYG (I'd start him in this game if it wasn't for...)

Week 5: Patriots

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

By the looks of it, Gettleman has put together two great drafts in a row.  Not just Saquon and Jones.  Will Hernandez, BJ Hill, Lorenzo Carter all look like good players from the 2018 draft.  From this draft Dexter Lawrence, DeAndre Baker, and Corey Ballentine look like they'll become real players in this league.  If he gets beat up by the media, it's only because it's the NY media, and that's what they do.  But he's done a great job in rebuilding this team and infusing it with young talent.  We're supposed to have $90 million in cap space next offseason.  He'll get a chance to solidify this team through free agency, and I expect they'll be competing in 2020.  #1 receiver will be the big priority.

He stole my guy DeAndre Baker. I thought he was the best CB in the draft and would become a #1 CB in the league. 

49 minutes ago, showtime said:

How did Haskins not beat out Keenum?  Keenum sucks. 

Is it because Haskins isn't ready, is playing poorly or the head coach is just stupid (like when the Browns started Taylor over Mayfield)?

He isn't ready IMO. He needs more time to develop. I like the idea of going the Mahomes route while others want to just throw him in. The talent is definitely there but his footwork so he can be more accurate and consistent need some improvement. 

4 hours ago, Gmen said:

Gettleman's fate is going to be solely determined by Darnold vs Jones. When you pass on the "no-brainer" franchise QB for a RB, then draft the guy who was considered a reach by most experts, you're putting your neck on the line. He'll either be considered a genius or a fool. No in between. 

4 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Gettleman's fate is going to be solely determined by Darnold vs Jones. When you pass on the "no-brainer" franchise QB for a RB, then draft the guy who was considered a reach by most experts, you're putting your neck on the line. He'll either be considered a genius or a fool. No in between. 

Probably not the latter.

Edited by DoleINGout

On 8/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Danger said:

On 8/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Danger said:

This man needs a big paycheck from some major media outlet.

I'm new here but there are a lot of things wrong with the video.  

I posted on the video what my rebuttal is already.  But mainly here are the biggest problems:

1)  He says stats are being abused and then used an obscure stat that he proceeded to abuse.

2)  The top 4 QBs in this stat were Josh Allen, Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Darnold.  Two mediocre QBs (albeit with decent years) and two young QBs that objectively aren't there yet. 

3)  A full 7 of the top 15 are either mediocre QBs or young QBs that haven't yet had success if you're not grading on a rookie curve.  These 7 are:

Josh Allen

Jameis Winston

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Sam Darnold

Mitchell Trubisky

Joe Flacco

Lamar Jackson

4)  Jones falls between Andy Dalton and Alex Smith at 16 and 17 with an 8.2.  Missing from the list are the following QBs with worse IAY stats than all three:

19:  Phillip Rivers: 7.9

22:  Carson Wentz: 7.8

24:  Ben Roethlisberger:  7.7

25:  Tom Brady: 7.7

26:  Andrew Luck: 7.6

33:  Drew Brees: 7.1

5)  This stat was supposed to somehow show what a game manager Jones and that he apparently has only been making easy throws that "any QB in the league could make" and couldn't make the hard throw (even though it was a TD) and apparently Pat Shurmur is babying him.

Is that the case with the QBs above?  Are their coaches just babying them and they can only make easy throws that any QB in the league could make?

6)  So if his theory were sound then presumably in a linear fashion we'd see the QBs becoming bigger and bigger game managers the lower we go down the list.  So presumably if he were to go say 7.7 IAY he'd make an even stronger case.  Except he wouldn't.  That stat wouldn't see the light of day.  Why?  Because his argument would be absurd if he said: "Jones is clearly a game manager that hasn't shown an ability to make difficult throws and he falls in between Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, and Andrew Luck".  Brett pretty clearly lucked out that Jones did WELL ENOUGH in this stat to fall in between two perfect game managers that perfectly illustrate his point.  Jones fell in between two arbitrary points in an arbitrary list and fell in the exact spot that perfectly corroborated Brett's point.  Brett needs to play the lotto.

This was akin to saying "well a quarterback that threw for exactly 4,000 yards never won a Super Bowl therefore passing is overrated".  Instead of looking for QBs throwing for 4,000+ yards.

7)  As far as the actual video is concerned I'm sure his analysis of the plays was fine.  However, they were the very first 5 plays on the first drive in the first game.  Maybe that isn't a representative sample.  He had another touchdown to look at where he did get good air under the ball, he had throws to look at that were more difficult to make.  But no, he focused on one drive, the first one at that because it corroborated his point.  That's what's called a biased sample.

The guy clearly wanted to a) be a contrarian to get views and b) defend a negative opinion he already had about Jones (ironically after lecturing others for doing the same).  I LOVED that guy and thought he was unbiased and very smart.  But now I see he's a hack.  He was either being purposely deceitful or just not that bright.

Edited by Midtown_Doornail
Clarifying a few things.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I don't recall Darnold ever being a no brainer franchise QB.  In fact, the last no brainer franchise QB was Luck.  Those don't come around every day.  There are probably more busts in the top 5-10 when it comes to QBs than hits.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Has @Gmen surpassed @aceinthehouse as biggest homer in FF History? So Jones and the 2019 Draft Class is a home run hit after pre season. Smh.... the prematurity of these claims are surreal. Even after a season is premature but we haven’t even played a game yet!

Saying anything definitively now is premature.  But, he has shown skills you just can't fake and...

1)  All of the people saying "hold your horses" are the same people that 1 second after the Giants announced the pick at the draft, before even 1 practice, much less preseason game destroyed Gettleman and the Giants.  Now we're supposed to calm down and not jump to conclusions?

2)  Are also the same people that would be laughing even more and destroying Gettleman even more if Jones were struggling.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Has @Gmen surpassed @aceinthehouse as biggest homer in FF History? So Jones and the 2019 Draft Class is a home run hit after pre season. Smh.... the prematurity of these claims are surreal. Even after a season is premature but we haven’t even played a game yet!

I think @buno67 deserves an honorable mention, but even he can’t come close to gmen.

And his avi is king homer ffs.