Daniel Jones is looking better than Haskins

Vladimir L

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I’ve posted several quotes and articles, praising Jones specifically for his arm strength and deep passing. A beat writer who was in Philly for Wentz’ rookie season  wrote an article saying that Jones has more arm talent than Wentz. There are numerous videos from Giants camp of Jones dropping dimes 50 yards downfield.  Combined with you assessment, it would appear Jones doesn’t have a real weakness.  I guess nobody should be surprised that he’s been lighting it up. 

Yeah, coming around to Jones tbh. Might be a believer....but there is a trace....of doubt in my mind....etc

As for teams skipping on Dwayne - lower floor, not quite ready. Those teams you mentioned probably needed a higher floor in terms of reading defenses etc

Edited by Hunter2_1

36 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I’ve posted several quotes and articles praising Jones specifically for his arm strength and deep passing. A beat writer who was in Philly for Wentz’ rookie season  wrote an article saying that Jones has more arm talent than Wentz. There are numerous videos from Giants camp of Jones dropping dimes 50 yards downfield.  Combined with your assessment, it would appear Jones doesn’t have a real weakness.  I guess nobody should be surprised that he’s been lighting it up. 

If you agree with ppl writing the quotes esp as most are from local sources.  But even those that aren’t local - I don’t share that evaluation on his arm strength.  So not there yet, given the previous mutual recognition from us both & the others here  on how preseason D windows don’t really test that aspect. 

Which is honestly what others are saying.  Too soon yet.  I get you don’t agree.  But honestly that’s ok.  We don’t have to agree.  

It seems really important for you to declare victory and the case closed,before a game has been played.   Doesn’t that seem even a little off?    I mean if it’s correct, the test of time will vindicate the take.  Arguing that no more time is needed, only comes off that waiting for real games somehow endangers this take - in the end, the correct view will declare itself. 

Most of us don’t have any skin in the game.  So take it FWIW. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, suffering_succotash said:

To use the line that Giants fans heard a lot this offseason: "Haskins could turn into anything, even a pro-ready QB!!"

It’s not about Haskins turning into a guy who is ready to play. That will happen, in all likelihood. It’s about his ceiling once he’s learned some of the nuances. Jones may have some of those nuances under his belt moreso than Haskins, but his floor from a talent perspective is probably lower. 

1 hour ago, suffering_succotash said:

The reason why pro-ready QBs are so valuable (and they are valuable, prospects labeled as projects do not get drafted highly) is because how absolutely difficult it is to be "pro-ready". That title means a lot. It means that you can start (and by starting win games) in the NFL. Not something that a majority of QBs drafted could put on their resume. 

Watson was a project. Mahomes was a project. Wentz was a project. Baker was a project. Jake Locker was a project. They were all drafted pretty high. 

Being pro-ready just means you are ready to play from a mental and technical standpoint (though that’s not even true, necessarily, as I’d contend neither Jackson or Newton were pro-ready prospects). Most FRPs are deemed pro-ready, if healthy. 

Christian Ponder was a pro-ready guy. Newton wasn’t. Brandon Weeden was. It really doesn’t mean jack, lol.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

I’ve posted several quotes and articles praising Jones specifically for his arm strength and deep passing. A beat writer who was in Philly for Wentz’ rookie season  wrote an article saying that Jones has more arm talent than Wentz. There are numerous videos from Giants camp of Jones dropping dimes 50 yards downfield.  Combined with your assessment, it would appear Jones doesn’t have a real weakness.  I guess nobody should be surprised that he’s been lighting it up. 

LOL. 

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It seems really important for you to declare victory and the case closed,before a game has been played.   Doesn’t that seem even a little off?    I mean if it’s correct, the test of time will vindicate the take.  Arguing that no more time is needed, only comes off that waiting for real games somehow endangers this take - in the end, the correct view will declare itself. 

Most of us don’t have any skin in the game.  So take it FWIW. 

There is a misunderstanding here. I’m declaring victory to this point. Which is a far cry from “no more time is needed”. Why can’t we look at what Jones has done in OTAs, training camp, and preseason and get excited without a chorus of iTs jUsT preSeAson? Especially after all the crap he took for going #6 overall? Doesn’t that seem a little off?

• Like 1

This whole debate reminds me of the discussions surrounding Dak and Goff as rookies. Don't jump the gun on QBs. You'll end up with egg on your face. This isn't a sprint to be the best preseason QB as a rookie. It's a marathon to be a franchise QB.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

There is a misunderstanding here. I’m declaring victory to this point. Which is a far cry from “no more time is needed”. Why can’t we look at what Jones has done in OTAs, training camp, and preseason and get excited without a chorus of iTs jUsT preSeAson? Especially after all the crap he took for going #6 overall? Doesn’t that seem a little off?

Because success “to this point” is meaningless in projecting future success in becoming a franchise QB or not.  And why everyone else says... too soon.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

Just now, jrry32 said:

This whole debate reminds me of the discussions surrounding Dak and Goff as rookies. Don't jump the gun on QBs. You'll end up with egg on your face. This isn't a sprint to be the best preseason QB as a rookie. It's a marathon to be a franchise QB.

But to this point.....

I kid. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gmen said:

Nope. I extensively watched them in college and am not blind. That dude should find a new sport to cover. Football ain't it.

Just now, Gmen said:

There's a reason this guy is a beat writer and not in an NFL front office. He's JAG. 

Am I doing that right? 

• Like 3

Just now, jrry32 said:

Nope. I extensively watched them in college and am not blind. That dude should find a new sport to cover. Football ain't it.

I call bull. Why would anyone watch Duke football unless they were getting paid?

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I call bull. Why would anyone watch Duke football unless they were getting paid?

Because I love the NFL Draft. My summary of Jones from March:

4. Daniel Jones - First Round

Comparison: Alex Smith

Summary: Jones is a smart kid who moves smoothly through his progressions, throws with anticipation, doesn't lock onto WRs, and generally makes smart decisions. He's also a good athlete with good size and some elusiveness in the pocket. However, Jones has an average all around arm (both arm strength and accuracy), he's fairly risk averse as a passer, takes unnecessary sacks, and has a lot of passes batted down at the LOS (possibly because he's a ball patter).

Best Fit: Washington Redskins (With the injury to Alex Smith, the Redskins need a QB. Jones makes a lot of sense for a team like Washington that runs a system that fits his game well and needs a pro ready QB to step onto a team that looked like a potential playoff contender before Smith's injury.)

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

As I mentioned before, there is an entire cadre of draft aficionados on this board who take it pretty seriously. Some may want to try and turn it into something more (Dane Brugler scouted prospects as a teacher before he got hired at CBS and eventually the athletic, I believe), some may just love the NFL draft / college football / etc. 

• Like 2

@jrry32 That May be a fair scouting report of his time at Duke (I wouldn’t know because I don’t subject myself to torture). But the Giants picked up on his arm talent, while others may have not, including yourself. And it’s been all the rage around Giants camp

Daniel Jones’ big arm strength: How Giants figured it out before NFL Draft as others catching on now

Note : Different beat writer. Or should he look for a new job too? 

Edited by Gmen