Daniel Jones is looking better than Haskins

Vladimir L

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

@jrry32 That May be a fair scouting report of his time at Duke (I wouldn’t know because I don’t subject myself to torture). But the Giants picked up on his arm talent, while others may have not, including yourself. And it’s been all the rage around Giants camp

Daniel Jones’ big arm strength: How Giants figured it out before NFL Draft as others catching on now

Note : Different beat writer. Or should he look for a new job too? 

Yeah, I've heard this all before. Jones has a middling arm. It seems everybody but Giants fans and beat writers understand that. The Giants FO will say what it will, but they know it too. Training camp puff pieces don't mean a thing to me. 

P.S. The article you quoted in your post has a quote from Shurmur that says something along the lines of, "He has the arm to play in this league." Yeah, I'm not disputing that. What he doesn't have is Carson Wentz' arm talent. He has a middling arm. It's good enough to be a starting QB. It will never rival the top guys in the game.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I've heard this all before. Jones has a middling arm. It seems everybody but Giants fans and beat writers understand that. The Giants FO will say what it will, but they know it too. Training camp puff pieces don't mean a thing to me. 

Don’t forget Giants players too!

“I’ve seen a lot of different quarterbacks but he has one of the better arms I’ve seen,” Shepard said. “That wasn’t talked about enough coming out, his ability to make all the throws. Being a Duke guy, being in the system he was in, kind of dinking it off to different people, he never was able to really show off his skillset as far as the power in his arm, but he throws a really really good ball. He has a strong arm.”

Look, nobody likes to be wrong. Especially after watching all that Duke football. But it happens sometimes. It’s an art, not a science

Edited by Gmen

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Yeah, that's his teammate. Look, nobody likes to be wrong. But you are. It's okay. This isn't your thing either.

EDIT: Oh look, Christian Ponder's teammate also claimed he had a strong arm:

http://www.startribune.com/ponder-shows-strong-arm-in-workout/125787428/

"He has good mechanics, a nice little spiral on the ball and then on that go-ball I tried to test him out a little bit and he hit me on it," Johnson said. "He's got a strong arm."

It must be true.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

Just now, Gmen said:

The old ‘I’m rubber you’re glue’ defense. Classic

No, it's the old "I worked in football" defense. As I demonstrated above, even Christian Ponder had a teammate attest to his arm strength. Are you about to tell me that Christian Ponder had a strong arm?

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

No, it's the old "I worked in football" defense. As I demonstrated above, even Christian Ponder had a teammate attest to his arm strength. Are you about to tell me that Christian Ponder had a strong arm?

Being the backup offensive line coach for your nephew’s pop warner team doesn’t count. 

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Being the backup offensive line coach for your nephew’s pop warner team doesn’t count. 

Try working in a NFL Front Office and coaching high school football on the staff of a retired NFL QB. I also had a chance to go work with BLESTO back before Tom Modrak passed away, but I opted to go to law school instead. Do I win the pizzing contest?

Edited by jrry32

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Try working in a NFL Front Office and coaching high school football on the staff of a retired NFL QB. I also had a chance to go work with BLESTO back before Tom Modrak passed away, but I opted to go to law school instead. Do I win the pizzing contest?

You had my heart with your 5000+ liked posts. 

What I’ve seen from Jones in preseason jives with what we’ve been hearing from camp. I’m going to trust my eyes and ears over your scouting report of Jones at Duke. Russell Shepard specifically addressed why Jones didn’t get to show off his arm at Duke. You may be right about what you saw on tape in college. But the conclusion that he has an average arm looks to be wrong. And I’ll leave it at that.

14 minutes ago, Gmen said:

What I’ve seen from Jones in preseason jives with what we’ve been hearing from camp. I’m going to trust my eyes and ears over your scouting report of Jones at Duke. Russell Shepard specifically addressed why Jones didn’t get to show off his arm at Duke. You may be right about what you saw on tape in college. But the conclusion that he has an average arm looks to be wrong. And I’ll leave it at that.

What you’ve been “hearing” from camp is often coming from people with a vested interest in Daniel Jones. Obviously Shepard is going to hype up his rookie QB, I mean c’mon lol.

2 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

What you’ve been “hearing” from camp is often coming from people with a vested interest in Daniel Jones. Obviously Shepard is going to hype up his rookie QB, I mean c’mon lol.

There’s so much to hype, but they all seem to gravitate towards his arm talent for some reason. You can see videos of his deep ball on Twitter of various beat writers. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. 

Well. Typically, as such discussions go, Jones vs. Haskins has lined up along regional, or team, boundaries. And that's to be expected. We all want our teams' young players to turn into stars. I will happily confess that, as a Giants' fan, Daniel Jones' play in training camp and pre-season has given me hope for his becoming a good NFL quarterback. From what I hear of Haskins, there's a lot of talent there that may well develop. They may both satisfy their respective teams. Time will tell.

But I will add the caveat that I have been educated several times, and schooled royally once (see "Goff, Jared"), by @jrry32 with his considerable football knowledge. I've learned to pay attention to his posts, and have learned from them. As I'm paying attention now. 

I have hope for Daniel Jones- but I'll listen to an expert opinion.

Image result for daniel jones giants
  • Like 1