Sign in to follow this  
NickChowaniec

College QB Watchlist

On 10/20/2017 at 9:53 AM, NickChowaniec said:

At this point I just want a new QB that can change the dynamic of our offense. Lamar Jackson seems to be a nice blend of what we like to do currently, but with a better arm. Might be a great fit–would mean a smoother transition for the current offense, but give us what we lack in having a guy capable of making all the throws.

At the end of the day, get a QB that can win us games. A prime example being last night when Derek Carr drives his team down the field with some incredible throws to win the game. We haven't had a guy capable of that in my lifetime (maybe Bledsoe for a year?). 

I'm at the point where I don't care who it is, just take the risk until we get it right. My preferences are obviously still there. Rosen first, Darnold second, and then Jackson. Josh Allen has been a giant disappointment this year, but I wouldn't be mad if our staff found something in him and took a chance. He has all the right tools to work with.

Just curious, do you think we are doing what the staff wants to do or what it has to do based on personnel? If we had nothing but a bunch of statues with rockets for arms, I would expect a lot of PA plus deep attacks. The rolling out, the planned QB rushing attack, etc. I believe simply just plays into the current strengths of Tyrod. While I'm happy to see we no longer have a staff trying to force square pegs into round holes like Rex did with our D, I got to believe at the end of the day, the throwing accuracy and decision-making skills of our quarterbacks are going to be a priority in the hunt for a replacement/upgrade. As you said, Jackson seems to have a better arm...at least when going against college level players. I think some other QB's might just be a little more complete in regards to their passing threat.

To be clear, I don't feel a need to be "right" about this. It is just speculation on my part. In the end, just like you, I don't care who - I have no horse in this race - but I just want other teams to feel threatened by whatever our QB can do all game, under any situation...especially in a 2 minute offense. Right now, I think all the other teams "worry" about is giving up junk yardage and an occasional score due to Tyrod's scrambling. Other than that, I suspect he simply gets a little respect for not turning the ball over very often. That's not the same as fear, though.

30 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

Just curious, do you think we are doing what the staff wants to do or what it has to do based on personnel? If we had nothing but a bunch of statues with rockets for arms, I would expect a lot of PA plus deep attacks. The rolling out, the planned QB rushing attack, etc. I believe simply just plays into the current strengths of Tyrod. While I'm happy to see we no longer have a staff trying to force square pegs into round holes like Rex did with our D, I got to believe at the end of the day, the throwing accuracy and decision-making skills of our quarterbacks are going to be a priority in the hunt for a replacement/upgrade. As you said, Jackson seems to have a better arm...at least when going against college level players. I think some other QB's might just be a little more complete in regards to their passing threat.

To be clear, I don't feel a need to be "right" about this. It is just speculation on my part. In the end, just like you, I don't care who - I have no horse in this race - but I just want other teams to feel threatened by whatever our QB can do all game, under any situation...especially in a 2 minute offense. Right now, I think all the other teams "worry" about is giving up junk yardage and an occasional score due to Tyrod's scrambling. Other than that, I suspect he simply gets a little respect for not turning the ball over very often. That's not the same as fear, though.

The only thing I would say on this, is Dennison who obviously worked under Kubiak has coached in a system that rolls QB's out and likes to get them on the move. They did it with Elway, Shaub, Manning and last year with Seimen. Whether or not McDermot believes this is the best way to win is hard to say, but I think that is what had people excited about Dennison and Tyrod together.

It will be interesting to see what they do in the off-season at the position. 

On 10/21/2017 at 4:55 PM, NickChowaniec said:

Check out Darnold tonight versus Notre Dame on NBC. Should be a great opportunity to give him a good look. 

I think my Irish helped to show who the best QB in LA is... Darnold is still the 2nd best QB in the country imo, but he gets so much more love than Rosen mostly because of the team record, while Rosen is the better QB.

I will say this, I was really impressed when Darnold was brought off the field to the trainer table, and kept telling everyone "I'm fine!" while he was being looked at. It was mid-late 3rd quarter, and they were down by a bunch, but he wanted back in. Hell of a competitor.    

Grier's accuracy downfield is really, really bad.

Rudolph has done a nice job today against WV buying time in the pocket and hitting passes down field. Just had a huge drop on 3rd down which hit the WR right in the hands. Next play was a block punt and TD for WV.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:56 PM, BigBillsFan13 said:

I think my Irish helped to show who the best QB in LA is... Darnold is still the 2nd best QB in the country imo, but he gets so much more love than Rosen mostly because of the team record, while Rosen is the better QB.

I will say this, I was really impressed when Darnold was brought off the field to the trainer table, and kept telling everyone "I'm fine!" while he was being looked at. It was mid-late 3rd quarter, and they were down by a bunch, but he wanted back in. Hell of a competitor.    

I'm excited to see Finley vs. ND this afternoon. 

On 10/28/2017 at 11:42 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I'm excited to see Finley vs. ND this afternoon. 

First INT all year (and in his last what, around 400 pass attempts?).. I love my Irish's defense this year! 

I will say that I was impressed with Finley's poise under pressure for the most part. 

Has anyone scouted Ryan Finley here? He's got impressive numbers and has been popping up recently as an early round QB.

I need to try and catch a game of his before the season ends. 

53 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Has anyone scouted Ryan Finley here? He's got impressive numbers and has been popping up recently as an early round QB.

I need to try and catch a game of his before the season ends. 

The loss to Clemson was the first full game I saw. Saw part of the game vs. ND and Louisville  He looks very promising and takes care of the ball (outside of Saturdays game).

I don't consider myself much of a scout but I would put him somewhere between Dalton and Cousins.

20 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

The loss to Clemson was the first full game I saw. Saw part of the game vs. ND and Louisville  He looks very promising and takes care of the ball (outside of Saturdays game).

I don't consider myself much of a scout but I would put him somewhere between Dalton and Cousins.

I only saw him in the ND - NCST game, but I watched every snap. Overall ND shut him/them down, but Finley looked pretty good. From what I saw he looked to have good footwork and overall field vision, made good decisions, and has the arm and smarts to make all the throws. I'd like him to put on some weight, and probably stay for his Sr. season, but he should make a solid pro imo.

11 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I've been out of college loop last couple weeks. Is the BB still

Rosen

Darnold

Allen 

Rudolph

Jackson ?

Pretty much. Baker Mayfield is having a fantastic season, although I have my doubts with him as a pro. Josh Allen is struggling mightily. After Rosen and Darnold it's pretty debatable who goes where.