College QB Watchlist

Nick

12 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

He does look pretty great. 423 yards and 5 TDs in 1st half against a power 5 school. He is on pace for 850 yards and 10 TDs. Crazy. Half isnt even over.

I'm developing a crush, not gonna lie. Imagine James Washington and Rudolph both 1st rounders ? 

The chemistry from OK State would translate you would think

31 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

It's not just the numbers. I like his mechanics and pocket presence and I think he's gonna end up the safest QB prospect after this year  

Well, I hope you are right, because I doubt we get a shot at the top 2 guys, Rosen and Darnold, After them, Jackson, Allen and Rudolph may be potential 1st rounders that could be there when we pick. We have to take one of them, because Taylor will never carry us to the playoffs never mind the SB.

10 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

IMO, Rudolph is a borderline 1st rounder. Anybody would look good in OK St's offense.

This was my concern as well. I will say this though, in interviews others are claiming he stays in the pocket without much shuffling of his feet and delivering balls in the face of pressure. If that is an accurate statement, those are good traits to have coming into the NFL. BTW, that also was stated about Peterman...

My biggest concern, however, was what I was hearing from Rudolph himself in interviews. I get that he is just a college kid, but he has spoken much about partying (alcohol, not weed) and the respect he has for those who can/will hang. Hoping this isn't a sign that he's another Manziel-type.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

My 2018 NFL Draft Database. 

Over 1,000 players. Player name links to college player page. Height/Weight links to NFLDraftScout prospect page. Report links to my Word Document background and eventual evaluation. 

If you have questions/additions/suggestions/etc PM me.

Thanks!

Going into the season my top guy was Darnold, with Rosen a close 2nd. Those have swapped for me now, and I've got Rosen at the top and Darnold a close #2. I've watched them both play, and Rosen has outplayed Darnold. He's averaging over 400 yds a game, and that includes games against Texas A&M and Stanford. If UCLA's defense wasn't so terrible they'd be at least 3-1, (possibly even 4-0) probably 4-1 (or 5-0) after tonight, and if his WR would stop dropping passes, he'd have even better stats than he does, which already has him 1st in pass yards and TD passes. He's over 65% for completion percentage, and again that would be higher without the drops (I've seen 3 in the last 12 minutes). He has a fantastic arm and is very accurate. Plus I like that he plays in a pro style offense under Jim Mora Jr. He does force passes when he's under pressure, but as far as I can see that's his main weakness. 

15 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

Going into the season my top guy was Darnold, with Rosen a close 2nd. Those have swapped for me now, and I've got Rosen at the top and Darnold a close #2. I've watched them both play, and Rosen has outplayed Darnold. He's averaging over 400 yds a game, and that includes games against Texas A&M and Stanford. If UCLA's defense wasn't so terrible they'd be at least 3-1, (possibly even 4-0) probably 4-1 (or 5-0) after tonight, and if his WR would stop dropping passes, he'd have even better stats than he does, which already has him 1st in pass yards and TD passes. He's over 65% for completion percentage, and again that would be higher without the drops (I've seen 3 in the last 12 minutes). He has a fantastic arm and is very accurate. Plus I like that he plays in a pro style offense under Jim Mora Jr. He does force passes when he's under pressure, but as far as I can see that's his main weakness. 

Yea Rosen is definitely at the top right now. Doesn't seem like getting him is realistic considering how the rest of the QB crop has been playing lately. Rosen is truly the only one playing like an early 1st rounder, which might actually be a good thing with how we are playing. I think they (Rudolph, Jackson, Allen, Darnold, etc.) will likely get overdrafted anyways though, IF they even declare now... but the chances of one slipping to us in the middle/late 1st are improving. 

7 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Yea Rosen is definitely at the top right now. Doesn't seem like getting him is realistic considering how the rest of the QB crop has been playing lately. Rosen is truly the only one playing like an early 1st rounder, which might actually be a good thing with how we are playing. I think they (Rudolph, Jackson, Allen, Darnold, etc.) will likely get overdrafted anyways though, IF they even declare now... but the chances of one slipping to us in the middle/late 1st are improving. 

I'm pretty sure our 2 1sts could get us high enough to get him, and I'd be happy to trade both to move up and get him (at this point). We still have 2 2nds and 2 3rds to move up if needed and get more weapons.

7 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

I'm pretty sure our 2 1sts could get us high enough to get him, and I'd be happy to trade both to move up and get him (at this point). We still have 2 2nds and 2 3rds to move up if needed and get more weapons.

I was hesitant to get into a discussion on Rosen's character before but I think it's worth having. 

I think that while he's a talented QB no doubt, he's a personality that requires the right team and staff around him and needs to be weighted heavily in Buffalo. Unfortunately, I don't see us as a fit at all – and now more than ever with McBean's requirements to be on this TEAM (which I love - not a negative). When you come to this city, and, if you know/live here you'll understand completely – you're apart of the fabric of this community. You're a bigger piece of the Buffalo area than if you were say, drafted to San Francisco. Based on what I've seen from him off the field, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy that will willingly accept and grow with this community, especially long-term. Buffalo is blue-collar, hard-working, the city of good neighbors... and Rosen, coming from wealth, also, a California kid... falls into the exact opposite of Buffalo. I worry he would bolt the first chance he gets. He strikes me as a guy more interested in himself and his brand. I'm making several judgments here on a guy I never met, so I'm not going to take him off my board right now, but like I said, it's worth discussing his potential fit here in my opinion. I personally don't think he's going to be the right choice for us.

I'm not saying don't draft him, but, I think this staff will heavily factor in his off-field concerns, especially if we have to give up a lot of draft capital to get him.  

That's a fair argument, and one I can understand, but in all honesty I don't think his issues are really as bad as people are making them out to be. From what I can tell, these are the 'issues' he's had:

He had a hot tub in his dorm room, and had to take it out. 

A couple years ago he and some friends rearranged a neighbor’s lawn ornaments in sexually suggestive positions

He's made political statements (and wore a hat) which most college age kids agree with (in fact, they seem to be the current cool, or popular opinions), and that players currently in the NFL are applauded for making

He made the statement "Raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have." which was taken out of context. There's actually a pretty good article about that here:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ucla-star-qb-josh-rosen-details-why-football-and-school-dont-go-together/

Also, according to some, his teammates don't like him...

“I don’t know how people can jump to that conclusion; we all love Josh,” center Scott Quessenberry said. “He comes out every day and he competes hard.”

And his coaches say he's too hard to deal with...

Before inheriting Rosen, UCLA offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch saw and read fragments about his future pupil. Something about a hot tub. Something about a hat, a golf course and the eventual U.S. president. When he finally arrived in Westwood, Fisch learned Rosen was nothing like he had seen or read.

“I’ve learned that he’s extremely hard working,” the well-traveled 40-year-old assistant said. “That he is extremely diligent. That the game is extremely important to him. That his talent level, while special, also has a lot to do with how much he works at it. … I’ve also learned that he can be coached really hard.”

No one ever talks about his volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, the fact that he's been on the Academic Honor Roll in 2015, 2016, and now in 2017, or that he's on pace to get his degree (economics) in 3 years. They want to talk about the attitude he had as a true Freshman coming in as the top QB prospect (and overall prospect by Rivals.com) in the nation. By all accounts he's matured quite a bit since the stuff that happened in his Freshman year. I suppose we'll see. 

Archived