College QB Watchlist

Nick

On 10/2/2017 at 1:16 AM, BigBillsFan13 said:

I'm pretty sure our 2 1sts could get us high enough to get him, and I'd be happy to trade both to move up and get him (at this point). We still have 2 2nds and 2 3rds to move up if needed and get more weapons.

Considering that the top 3 drafting teams are likely all completely desperate for a franchise QB, I see no way any of them will trade back for extra picks. You  would need a situation where the top team or at least one of the 3 already has a franchise QB who maybe was injured and his team therefore had a bad season, to get a top 3 team willing to trade back, so unless Buffalo finishes as one of the 3 worst teams in the NFL, their chances of trading up for a franchise QB like Rosen, Darnold or Allen is practically nil.

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Considering that the top 3 drafting teams are likely all completely desperate for a franchise QB, I see no way any of them will trade back for extra picks. You  would need a situation where the top team or at least one of the 3 already has a franchise QB who maybe was injured and his team therefore had a bad season, to get a top 3 team willing to trade back, so unless Buffalo finishes as one of the 3 worst teams in the NFL, their chances of trading up for a franchise QB like Rosen, Darnold or Allen is practically nil.

That's very likely, though currently the worst teams (0-4) are the Giants, Chargers, Browns, and 49ers, and I see 1 of them, maybe 2, as likely to draft a QB in the top 4. The next worst teams are the Bears, Colts, and Dolphins, who I don't think would take a QB top 7. The Colts and Phins are in the situation you mentioned, and the Chargers and Giants have older franchise QBs and are just not good this year (at least so far). I suppose it'll all depend on how things pan out, and how much these teams with older franchise QBs want to draft their eventual replacements now. 

I definitely don't see us finishing poorly enough to draft a QB at the top of Round 1.

3 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

If we miss out on Rosen, Darnold and Allen what if we went all in for Andrew Luck or sign Kirk Cousins and use our top 2 picks on impact players preferably a WR1 and LT in the 1st

I'd be all for that. Luck concerns me with the injuries, but I'd take Cousins in a heartbeat. And call me a ND homer if you want, but if we could get McGlinchey at LT and St. Brown at WR, both would be immediate starters, and impact players.

12 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

I'd be all for that. Luck concerns me with the injuries, but I'd take Cousins in a heartbeat. And call me a ND homer if you want, but if we could get McGlinchey at LT and St. Brown at WR, both would be immediate starters, and impact players.

You homer! ;) 

This draft currently scares me. Darnold seems more and more likely to go back to school and even if he doesn't, we'll be hard pressed to get him. Rosen doesn't appear to have the character that McBean would want. Allen is just not very good and Mayfield and Rudolph come from gimicky offenses and don't necessarily translate well to the pro game. 

We have so many needs like LB, OG, WR, RT and D-line that I would hate to see us spend all of our high draft capital one a project QB or at minimum an unsure thing (which yes technically they all are). As of right now I would hope Rudolph falls to the late teens or grab a guy like Thorson or Riley Ferguson in the 2nd. 

16 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

McGlinchy fills a need with value .. We need LB's and should look pass rush but WR will be a massive need  .. Our secondary will be good with Hyde, Poyer, White and Gaines 

On 10/10/2017 at 1:12 AM, BillsGuy82 said:

If we miss out on Rosen, Darnold and Allen what if we went all in for Andrew Luck or sign Kirk Cousins and use our top 2 picks on impact players preferably a WR1 and LT in the 1st

Luck will only be available if Indy's doctors say he has not a pray of ever being the QB he was, so that's not too promising and to be honest, I cannot see Washington in any way, prepared to loose Cousins. No way he leaves Washington. It would be nice, but I just cannot see it happening.

You know, I'm going to throw this link in here. We don't need a new page for it, especially since this current page exists for the sole fact that the majority of Bills fans believe QB is a position that can be upgraded.

Tyrod Tylor Unfiltered

Here's the good: Even given an opportunity to vent, Taylor remains respectable, shoulders the blame when one could say he would have a legit argument to put some of the blame on lack of weapons, and obviously believes in himself without sounding conceited. I respect that.

Not necessarily the bad, but the questionable...possibly delusional: He rattles off a list of QB's drafted before him as if to say he felt slighted in some way. It's not breaking news that teams get evaluations of QB's wrong all the time. Taylor is excellent value for a 6th round pick, but he's not half the value someone like Brady was (and to Taylor's credit, doesn't say he is). Newton and Dalton absolutely deserved to be picked before him and I would flip a coin between him and Kaepernick. The rest in that list were over-drafted. It happens. If it makes Taylor more determined, that's actually good for our team.

It also seems to me that he views himself as essentially on par with Newton, Rogers, etc. as a mobile QB, but is he? In my opinion, by putting himself into that list, he is in essence saying that he and the other mobile QB's are reasonably similar. Sorry, Tyrod, but there are some very real differences. The main knock on you is that you simply can't carry a team. No one would ever question Newton's or Roger's proven ability to put the team on their shoulders and confidently drive down the field for a winning score, even if that meant taking slightly higher risks. Taylor is risk-averse and while that does limit turnovers, it also means that his teammates don't get opportunities to step up and make plays. Those things matter. True leadership quality is more than just being a nice, respectable guy who never embarrasses the franchise, works hard, and gets along with his teammates. Lots of friendly people work very hard everyday, but it doesn't make them effective leaders. QB's, well, successful franchise QB's, need to be.

Lastly, I really don't want to get too deep into the race-related aspect of the position Taylor mentioned, but he did mention it. Newton, Wilson, Phillips, and Brady are all hyper-competitive people and I have always thought Brady, Phillips, and sometimes Newton were whiners on the field, but not Wilson. It's a strategy Brady and many other athletes, regardless of skin color, have used before and will likely continue to use, probably because they felt the strategy was successful at least once in the past. My belief is that Taylor is correct that more often than not, QB's of color are judged differently. He stated that Wilson and Newton had to prove themselves to be more than just mobile. I think that is true for Newton, but the main concern about Wilson was actually his lack of ideal height. Getting back to Taylor though, this issue of bias due to skin color does not mean that the knocks on him are not accurate. Given that Tyrod is our starting QB, I'm glad that he has confidence in his own ability. I just don't believe his self-assessment is entirely accurate and for that reason, I think we must target a QB early in the upcoming draft. Given the moves made in the past 1/2 year, it seems to me Bills management feels that way as well.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:06 PM, Yibbyl said:

You know, I'm going to throw this link in here. We don't need a new page for it, especially since this current page exists for the sole fact that the majority of Bills fans believe QB is a position that can be upgraded.

Tyrod Tylor Unfiltered

Here's the good: Even given an opportunity to vent, Taylor remains respectable, shoulders the blame when one could say he would have a legit argument to put some of the blame on lack of weapons, and obviously believes in himself without sounding conceited. I respect that.

Not necessarily the bad, but the questionable...possibly delusional: He rattles off a list of QB's drafted before him as if to say he felt slighted in some way. It's not breaking news that teams get evaluations of QB's wrong all the time. Taylor is excellent value for a 6th round pick, but he's not half the value someone like Brady was (and to Taylor's credit, doesn't say he is). Newton and Dalton absolutely deserved to be picked before him and I would flip a coin between him and Kaepernick. The rest in that list were over-drafted. It happens. If it makes Taylor more determined, that's actually good for our team.

It also seems to me that he views himself as essentially on par with Newton, Rogers, etc. as a mobile QB, but is he? In my opinion, by putting himself into that list, he is in essence saying that he and the other mobile QB's are reasonably similar. Sorry, Tyrod, but there are some very real differences. The main knock on you is that you simply can't carry a team. No one would ever question Newton's or Roger's proven ability to put the team on their shoulders and confidently drive down the field for a winning score, even if that meant taking slightly higher risks. Taylor is risk-averse and while that does limit turnovers, it also means that his teammates don't get opportunities to step up and make plays. Those things matter. True leadership quality is more than just being a nice, respectable guy who never embarrasses the franchise, works hard, and gets along with his teammates. Lots of friendly people work very hard everyday, but it doesn't make them effective leaders. QB's, well, successful franchise QB's, need to be.

Lastly, I really don't want to get too deep into the race-related aspect of the position Taylor mentioned, but he did mention it. Newton, Wilson, Phillips, and Brady are all hyper-competitive people and I have always thought Brady, Phillips, and sometimes Newton were whiners on the field, but not Wilson. It's a strategy Brady and many other athletes, regardless of skin color, have used before and will likely continue to use, probably because they felt the strategy was successful at least once in the past. My belief is that Taylor is correct that more often than not, QB's of color are judged differently. He stated that Wilson and Newton had to prove themselves to be more than just mobile. I think that is true for Newton, but the main concern about Wilson was actually his lack of ideal height. Getting back to Taylor though, this issue of bias due to skin color does not mean that the knocks on him are not accurate. Given that Tyrod is our starting QB, I'm glad that he has confidence in his own ability. I just don't believe his self-assessment is entirely accurate and for that reason, I think we must target a QB early in the upcoming draft. Given the moves made in the past 1/2 year, it seems to me Bills management feels that way as well.

I think we are past looking at Black QB's differently, if you produce, you get the job even if you are a career backup like Taylor.  Taylor is simply, not a franchise QB capable of taking the Bills to the playoffs and face it, only Brady is a solid QB in our division, so making the playoffs at least occasionally should be a given.

I'll take Newton, he is a proven commodity even with all his flaws, ditto for Wilson, they are both franchise QB's, Taylor just isn't.

Lamar Jackson is my guy. 

Surprised he hasn't been talked about as much in here. The draft "experts" on this website have him in their top 4, or at least most of them do. I have him ranked only behind Rosen and Darnold. His running ability is well known but he is an exceptional passer. In the video below he makes throws not even TyGOD could dream of. Specifically at the 1:22 mark, 3:19 mark, 7:20 mark and the 8:10 mark caught my eye. 

It is a very rare year for potential 1st round QB's with the potential for 4 or5  true franchise QB's                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The consensus top 5 QB's for the 2018 draft are:

1) Sam Darnold - His game really picks up  when the team is in trouble, has a solid pro arm and can really move around in the pocket. Checks out well for his leadership qualities and his intangibles are very solid. Rated as a sure fire franchise QB.

2) Josh Rosen - One of the best deliveries seen in a long time,  beautiful form when throwing a football and a strong arm. He appears to have matured this season, not that unusual for a young kid His Combine interview will be especially important to him. He will battle Darnold for the #1 spot all season and is also rated as a sure fire franchise QB.

3) Josh Allen - his stats are very misleading this season, as the talent around him basically sucks. His WR's are all new and cannot get any separation and drop a lot of balls. His leadership qualities and intangibles are off the charts. His has an A+ arm and great mobility for as 6'5", 235lbder. His upside is as high as scouts have seen in a prospect, but some teams will not like that his stats which are rather mediocre this season and he does not face a lot of tough competition this season. However, the consensus says, with far better pro coaching and playing with far more talented players, his guy could be really special and turn out to be the best of the crop given a little time,.

4) Lamar Jackson - Strong arm and can make all the throws. This year, he is working with a totally different set of skill players which has limited his production. However, his intangibles are very solid and we all know, he is extremely athletic and mobile in the pocket. Will need to be drafted by a team willing to adjust their playbook to suit his skill set. He reminds you of Vick, but he is a much better passer. Not much experience as a pocket passer and tends to take off a bit too much, which sent him to #4.

5) Baker Mayfield - Has shown a stronger arm than people thought he possessed, is mobile and very accurate . A little short for some GM's and scouts liking, but his intangibles are off the charts, a tremendous leader of men, has absolutely no fear of anything, great pocket presence. He will be a NFL starting QB. His arm and shortness drop him to #5.

Other QB's still in the Mix as 1st rounders:

1) Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

2) Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St. HC has not had a lot of success producing pro QB's and his system tends to hide their weaknesses.

Later Round Prospects at the QB position:

1) Jake Browning, Wash

2) Luke Falk, Washington St. - Another HC whose QB's always produce immense stats, but none have ever amounted to much as a pro.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

3) Austin Allen, Arkansas

4) Quinton Flowers, South Florida  

5) Logan Woodside, Toledo

6) Riley Ferguson, Memphis St.

Edited 9 hours ago by Iamcanadian

At this point I just want a new QB that can change the dynamic of our offense. Lamar Jackson seems to be a nice blend of what we like to do currently, but with a better arm. Might be a great fit–would mean a smoother transition for the current offense, but give us what we lack in having a guy capable of making all the throws.

At the end of the day, get a QB that can win us games. A prime example being last night when Derek Carr drives his team down the field with some incredible throws to win the game. We haven't had a guy capable of that in my lifetime (maybe Bledsoe for a year?). 

I'm at the point where I don't care who it is, just take the risk until we get it right. My preferences are obviously still there. Rosen first, Darnold second, and then Jackson. Josh Allen has been a giant disappointment this year, but I wouldn't be mad if our staff found something in him and took a chance. He has all the right tools to work with.

Archived