College QB Watchlist

Nick

On 11/7/2017 at 7:20 AM, BigBillsFan13 said:

I only saw him in the ND - NCST game, but I watched every snap. Overall ND shut him/them down, but Finley looked pretty good. From what I saw he looked to have good footwork and overall field vision, made good decisions, and has the arm and smarts to make all the throws. I'd like him to put on some weight, and probably stay for his Sr. season, but he should make a solid pro imo.

ND shut them down especially after Hines their starting RB went out. Also had a lot of drops from the WR group which has been a trend of late. I think Finley has a chance to jump up the board quickly if he declares, kind of like Rivers did when he came out of NCSU.

I don't however see him playing his "senior" year though. He would actually be a 6th year senior if he did since he's had 2 redshirt years, so age wise it kind of hurts him to stay. Also the team is loaded with upperclassmen like Chubb, Samuels, Hill, etc... so chances of having another great year next season isn't so good. Can't see him risking a dud season to play a 6th year of college ball. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want Mayfield so bad. Dude is a player. And this fan base and his teammates really rallied around him this week which shows that there is more to what meets the eye. He is a program changer. If he can contain emotions then he could be a a Russell Wilson type with Tebow like leadership... But that is if he contains his emotions.

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

I want Mayfield so bad. Dude is a player. And this fan base and his teammates really rallied around him this week which shows that there is more to what meets the eye. He is a program changer. If he can contain emotions then he could be a a Russell Wilson type with Tebow like leadership... But that is if he contains his emotions.

Yup I agree. He's the type of guy coaches will fall in love with if he learns to channel his energy.

I don't buy the "he's not a McDermott guy". He is. He isn't an issue off the field at all and he raises the the level of everyone around him.

6 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yup I agree. He's the type of guy coaches will fall in love with if he learns to channel his energy.

I don't buy the "he's not a McDermott guy". He is. He isn't an issue off the field at all and he raises the the level of everyone around him.

I mean he did drive drunk then try and run from the cops.

This is my current off-season.

Resign

Leonard Johnson, Preston Brown, Deonte Thompson, EJ Gaines, Deandre Coleman, Cedric Thorton, Shamarko Thomas, Taiwan Jones

Release- Adolphus Washington

Trade 

Tyrod Taylor for Broncos 2019 4th round pick

Sign:

DT- Star Lotulelei- Need a new run stuffer and Nose Tackle. Familiar with McDermott and Beane. Much safer option with Dareus with less potential. 

OLB- Nigel Bradham- Playing well for the Eagles. They are probably gonna try to resign him but I believe depending how the Eagle season goes he will want to test the market. Especially now that Wentz is on verge of a huge contract. I believe we can lure him back home. He will be a SLB. He had played well in our 4-3 defenses in past. 

TE- Tyler Eifert- With Tyler Kroft playing well at TE and Eifert not being able to stay on the field. I would expect that they may decide to just let him walk. He is injury prone so he is a huge risk but potential is still there. I would take that risk for a backup TE.

QB- Tom Savage- Offers starting experience for our new rookie QB. He helped mentor Watson. So hopefully can do same for us. With Watson in fold he will be looking for a better chance at starting as he has played well.

Draft

Round 1. Christian Wilkins DT, Clemson-  Unfortunately I see Williams retiring so we will need a new UT. He has the speed and athletism for the spot. He fits the mold of a Kyle Williams with an unrelentless motor which Sean would like.

Round 1. Roquan Smith OLB, Georgia- This guys is perfect for what we need. We already added Nigel at SLB. Still need a WLB... With an improvement at both OLB this should allow Preston to do what he does best as a Thumper. Smith is great in coverage and flies all over the field. 

Round 2. Baker Mayfield QB, Oklahoma- Yes he has had his troubles. Yes McDermott values character. But he had also said he will do things that will help the team win. He could be this year's Watson. A player who is typically just thought of as a great college player but not so much professional that surprises people and plays great in the NFL. He kinda has that Tebow leadership if he can channel his emotions to help the team. And the Manziel level talent. I think anyone would love a Manziel talent with Tebow leadership. Watching the Oklahoma game yesterday he seemed an awfully like Tom Brady in the way they celebrate and pump up his team.

Round 2- Braden Smith OG, Auburn- Well John Miller appears to be done in Buffalo. And Vlad is terrible (No idea why Groy doesn't get a start at RG). I get a lot of Andy Levitre in this guy. Does everything well. Nothing great. He is a very solid run blocker and pass protector. He is slimmer but he is tall so he could potentially play some OT.

Round 3. Anthony Miller WR, Memphis- I don't have us resigning Matthews. We need to use Zay in Slot and get more speed on outside. Taken a speed guy is scary after Goodwin and Graham but Miller is better than any of them in college. Not as fast but he is much more of an actual football player. With Kelvin in the mix this guy is a perfect compliment for Zay and Benjamin.

Round 4. Duke Dawson CB, Florida- Pretty Simple here. Shareece Wright sucks and any CB that can stick with Christian Kirk is a no brainier in 4th. He could be used specifically on Julien Edelman and Jarvis Landry as a rookie as he thrives against the smaller slot receivers. His issue is he occasionally gives up a big play. The slot receivers don't have that big play abaility which makes slot recievers a good matchup for him.

Round 5. Royce Freeman RB, Oregon- Most say he is a 4th round back but there are so many RBs that could be available I think he falls an extra round just donto sheer numbers. McCoy is aging and we are really missing Gillislee in the run game. Freeman is a workhorse and would be a nice compliment to Shady. Rookie RBs are really making a name for themselves this year so I think teams are gonna wanna get their rookie RB in the next draft with the success of Mixon, Fournett, Cook, McCaffrey, Kamara, and Hunt.

Round 5- Quin Blanding S, Virginia- With Poyer getting hurt it showed our Safety depth isn't good so hopefully this addition helps a little. Will be a solid special team player to start.

2 Man Depth Chart

QB Baker Mayfield / Tom Savage

RB LeSean McCoy / Royce Freeman

FB Dimarco Patrick / Nick O'Leary

SE Kelvin Benjamin / Andre Holmes

SL Zay Jones / Brandon Reilly

LT Cordy Glenn / Conor McDermott

LG Richie Incognito / John Miller

C Eric Wood / Ryan Groy

RG Braden Smith / Vlad Duscasse

RT Dion Dawkins / Jordan Mills

TE Charles Clay / Tyler Eifert

FL Anthony Miller / Deonte Thompson

DE: Jerry Hughes / Eddie Yarborough

NT: Star Lotulelei / Deandre Coleman

UT: Christian Wilkins / Cedric Thorton

DE: Shaq Lawson / Ryan Davis

SLB: Nigel Bradham / Deon Lacy

MLB: Preston Brown / Tanner Vallejo

WLB: Roquan Smith / Matt Milano 

CB: Tredavious White / Leonard Johnson

SS: Jordan Poyer / Shamarko Thomas

FS: Micah Hyde / Quin Blanding

CB: EJ Gaines / Duke Dawson

K: Stephen Haushska / Colton Schmidt

P: Colton Schmidt / Stephen Haushska

KR: Taiwan Jones / Anthony Miller

PR: Taiwan Jones / Micah Hyde

On 11/25/2017 at 4:04 PM, Trentwannabe said:

1 time incident from a dumb college kid (see Dak Prescott). That does not reflect who he is as it's happened once and not a reoccurring theme like it was for Manziel. 

Wasn't it only once (in college) for Justin Blackmon also? Since he entered the NFL it has been what, 3 or 4 more times? And now he's out of the league. 

And Michael Floyd (who I LOVE btw)? 1 DUI arrest at ND, and now he's been locked up and suspended for "extreme DUI", and is on his 3rd team in 6 years.

Aside from that, though, I don't think Mayfield will succeed in the NFL, regardless of attitude or off the field issues. He's not Wilson or Watson. To me, he is a Johnny Manziel type, which doesn't translate well to the NFL. I'll take a guy that can progress through more than 1 read before taking off running 100 times out of 100 over a guy that can make plays with his feet, who takes off if his first read isn't open. Manziel and Mayfield had success in college because they were in systems that complimented their styles. Wilson/Watson were different, in that they could progress through reads and read defenses better. 

Just my opinion, but I want nothing to do with Mayfield. 

17 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

Wasn't it only once (in college) for Justin Blackmon also? Since he entered the NFL it has been what, 3 or 4 more times? And now he's out of the league. 

And Michael Floyd (who I LOVE btw)? 1 DUI arrest at ND, and now he's been locked up and suspended for "extreme DUI", and is on his 3rd team in 6 years.

Aside from that, though, I don't think Mayfield will succeed in the NFL, regardless of attitude or off the field issues. He's not Wilson or Watson. To me, he is a Johnny Manziel type, which doesn't translate well to the NFL. I'll take a guy that can progress through more than 1 read before taking off running 100 times out of 100 over a guy that can make plays with his feet, who takes off if his first read isn't open. Manziel and Mayfield had success in college because they were in systems that complimented their styles. Wilson/Watson were different, in that they could progress through reads and read defenses better. 

Just my opinion, but I want nothing to do with Mayfield. 

To play devils advocate, Tyrann Mathieu, Dak Prescott and many more have had one or more incidents in college and dealt with questions about their maturity and they have turned out fine. Lots of players who were suppose to be golden boys have had run in with the law as well (Von Miller).  If someone doesn't want Mayfield based on what they see on the field, I can understand that. But the notion that he is a trouble maker and another Manziel is just lazy IMO.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

To play devils advocate, Tyrann Mathieu, Dak Prescott and many more have had one or more incidents in college and dealt with questions about their maturity and they have turned out fine. Lots of players who were suppose to be golden boys have had run in with the law as well (Von Miller).  If someone doesn't want Mayfield based on what they see on the field, I can understand that. But the notion that he is a trouble maker and another Manziel is just lazy IMO.

Oh, I completely agree with you. There are a lot of success stories that start out with a troubled youth/college experience, and vice versa. I was just pointing out that just because it was only one incident in college doesn't necessarily mean it was a one time thing, and won't happen again. 

And I want to be clear, the reason I don't want Mayfield is strictly because of what I see of him on the field. I just don't think he'll transition well to the NFL game, based on my reasons above. I couldn't care less about these guys' character concerns (for the most part, obviously some stuff can't be overlooked) as long as they can be successful on the field. I don't care if these guys party all week long, as long as they're ready to go on Sunday lol. 

16 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

Oh, I completely agree with you. There are a lot of success stories that start out with a troubled youth/college experience, and vice versa. I was just pointing out that just because it was only one incident in college doesn't necessarily mean it was a one time thing, and won't happen again. 

And I want to be clear, the reason I don't want Mayfield is strictly because of what I see of him on the field. I just don't think he'll transition well to the NFL game, based on my reasons above. I couldn't care less about these guys' character concerns (for the most part, obviously some stuff can't be overlooked) as long as they can be successful on the field. I don't care if these guys party all week long, as long as they're ready to go on Sunday lol. 

lol heck I think the Bills 90's team were partying all week before games haha.

On another Mayfield note, I watched his sit down with Matt Leinhart and came away even more impressed. He's either the worlds best actor or truly understands the damage he's done to his name and the school. Watching the game, so far I have been intrigued by his ability to keep his eyes down field and obviously the fact he can make plays with his legs. And his arm is just so natural :o

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I haven’t watched enough college ball to form an educated opinion on any of these guys, but it’s almost guaranteed we will be drafting one of them, so i better do some homework during bowl games. 

Pretty much how I feel. This is the smallest amount of college football I've watched in years. I love bowl season though, football every night. 

Archived