CLE WR Antonio Callaway suspended 4 games

Broncofan

On a more serious note, the reason for the suspension is going to matter a ton here long-term.   Callaway's suspension for an arrest last summer would be far different than if Callaway failed 4 drug tests (what you need to get to 4 games).   Arrests for drug-related offences can get you 4 games right off the bat, whereas positive tests, you need 4 positive tests to get to this stage.

On the other hand, it is John Dorsey as GM, who's clearly shown some tolerance for talent.   Still, if Callaway's tested positive 4x in the last year, that's a MAJOR red flag to his inability to stay out of trouble.  If it's related to last year's arrest, and he's been clean since, well, then it's better for his chances.  There is no denying his talent...but the flags weren't just red, they were scarlet red here entering the Draft.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Didn't he have similar issues in college? What an idiot.

The arrest happened August last year, but the case (dropped charges) didn't get resolved until February 2019.    Which explains why there was no penalty imposed by the NFL until now (going through the appeals process has lasted this long, apparently).  

He's a legit 5-star talent...and 5-star bonehead in college.    So it really matters if that was the trigger, or if there was another trigger.   At the time, CLE said this was his last chance after the August arrest.   We need to see if that's the case, but if it is due to something since then...total lost cause IMO.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The arrest happened August last year, but the case (dropped charges) didn't get resolved until February 2019.    Which explains why there was no penalty imposed by the NFL until now (going through the appeals process has lasted this long, apparently).  

He's a legit 5-star talent...and 5-star bonehead in college.    So it really matters if that was the trigger, or if there was another trigger.   At the time, CLE said this was his last chance after the August arrest.   We need to see if that's the case, but if it is due to something since then...total lost cause IMO.   

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/cleveland-browns-previously-touted-no-tolerance-policy-with-antonio-callaway/95-581428667

time to see if john dorsey was just talking out of his butt or not...my guess is he was

8 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Doesn't sound like Dorsey has much patience left. Looks like Callaway will have no more room for error to remain in Cleveland. 

He “doesn’t have patience” because we are stacked at wide receiver. If this was 2016, Dorsey would move heaven and hell to keep him on the team.

If anything, I am excited because I want Damon Sheehy to make the roster.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/cleveland-browns-previously-touted-no-tolerance-policy-with-antonio-callaway/95-581428667

time to see if john dorsey was just talking out of his butt or not...my guess is he was

38 minutes ago, PFM18 said:
Doesn't sound like Dorsey has much patience left. Looks like Callaway will have no more room for error to remain in Cleveland. 

Yeah I’d imagine this is his last opportunity with Cleveland.

Another failed test and he’s likely done.

Damn. I really want to see how he progresses this year. But yeah, gotta think if he messes up one more time then he'll be gone. Still worth the risk in the fourth round, though.

I think we'll be alright with OBJ, Landry, Higgins, Njoku, and company.