2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

I'm curious about this battle so wanted to create a thread.

Right now I see 7 viable roster guys: Adams/Allison/MVS/ESB/Davis/Kumerow/Shepherd with Moore and Lazard well on the outside.

(1) Is it too early to give up on Moore?

(2) If it comes down to keeping 2 out of Davis/Kumerow/Shepherd, who do you keep and why?

(3) Along w/ #2, what is more valuable to this team from the back-end roster guys at WR: Specials (Davis lean I imagine), deep threat, possession type, or slot type?

My uninformed opinion would, with Adams/Allison/MVS and ESB as effective locks, try to keep Shepherd on the team. He seems like a good PS candidate, but he also appears as though he can contribute today from the slot. I would vote slot over deep threat, but would lean toward specials. Has Shepherd taken any special team snaps?

Edited by incognito_man

1) At this point I want to see Moore getting about twenty targets in the next game. He's too talented to bail on yet, but he's also almost out of time. I think you gotta just throw it at him until he calms down. His drops aren't his hands, they're nerves and the game moving too fast; you can't always fix that but at this point I think volume is probably your best bet. He just needs to stop thinking about catching the ball. 

And it's not like you're giving up anything to do this; the rest of the depth crew isn't making the team anyway so you may as well see if you can salvage your high end physical talent. 

2) Kumerow and Davis. You can get Sheppard on the PS no problem. 

3) Specials. 100% Specials. There's only 46 active game day spots; if you're running with 5+ active receivers those last few guys are going to see a handful of offensive snaps at most. Who are you taking off the field for Sheppard? 

Edited by MrBobGray

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm curious about this battle so wanted to create a thread.

Right now I see 7 viable roster guys: Adams/Allison/MVS/ESB/Davis/Kumerow/Shepherd with Moore and Lazard well on the outside.

(1) Is it too early to give up on Moore?  No, the guy doesn't seem to catch cleanly.  Too many other viable options to keep him around.

(2) If it comes down to keeping 2 out of Davis/Kumerow/Shepherd, who do you keep and why?  I'd keep Kumerow because he gets open and makes the catch.  Gaining yardage is his job and that's what he does.

(3) Along w/ #2, what is more valuable to this team from the back-end roster guys at WR: Specials (Davis lean I imagine), deep threat, possession type, or slot type?  Specials and the ability to keep the chains moving.  We have the home run threat from MVS.

My uninformed opinion would, with Adams/Allison/MVS and ESB as effective locks, try to keep Shepherd on the team. He seems like a good PS candidate, but he also appears as though he can contribute today from the slot. I would vote slot over deep threat, but would lean toward specials. Has Shepherd taken any special team snaps?

I'm ok with Davis for the return abilities.  Not having him available last year caused issues.

This is what it seems the depth chart is right now: 

Adams, then MVS & Allison, then Kumerow, then Davis and maybe EQ. St. Brown hasn't really had a stellar camp, or a bad one; he just hasn't had a second year leap like MVS. Right now I think it's Moore vs. Shep vs. the last RB/TE/OL. If Moore doesn't just loosen up and start catching **** he's gone. Then it's up to Shep to make Gute decide to keep 7 WRs and last night he made some strides there.

How I would handicap the WR battle;

Adams, MVS, and ESB are locks to make the roster. 

Kummerow and Allison I'd put at 90% to make the roster for both guys. There are a few factors that could contribute to them not making it (injury, age, lack of pedigree/upside)

Davis or Sheppard will make the team as a returner (I'd handicap it as Davis as a 2-1 favorite since I think he's better, but there is the injury factor)

Moore would have to ball out on special teams, and need an injury (to Kumerow or Allison). I give him a 10-20% chance of making the team 

Lazzard won't make the team unless 3 guys get hurt.

I voted for Kumerow only because man he just makes catches there has to be someone else who can field a punt. It's going to be tough going for ceiling or production now, Kum gives QB's likely just a dam warm felling they know he will likely catch the ball. He is a threat too as he will be going against smaller DB's usually as a number 4 guy or 5. Mind you if Kum is cut i am sure he is there to call up in a week or three if need be. Pacman is right Lazzard is likely further down but i like the size and speed. If he can show again this PS he may jump up a bit.

There is going to be a really really tough cut in this position group IMO.  You really want to keep 2 of these guys and I  just don't see it happening with this coaching staff.  I think you almost have to put EQ on the list with us picking 2. 

• Davis is by far the best return man on the team and he's made improvements as a receiver.
  • Jake Kumerow is almost certainly the 4th best WR on the team but his age and lack of upside (compared to EQ) is going to hurt him.
  • Shephard has been super impressive and might very well be our best (or second best behind DA17) slot WR.  If he shows he can be a returner at this level he's got a legit chance of making this roster.  
Edited by SSG

Wow! Everybody pretty much turned the lights out on Moore already. I do think he's facing an uphill battle, but he's a 4th round draft pick with more upside than any of those who will be on the fence with him. He does have to start making plays, but don't count the kid out yet. 

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Wow! Everybody pretty much turned the lights out on Moore already. I do think he's facing an uphill battle, but he's a 4th round draft pick with more upside than any of those who will be on the fence with him. He does have to start making plays, but don't count the kid out yet. 

Can his upside catch the dam ball for him:) Sorry had to. He's a 4th which would suck but lets look at it this way. Gute'sj ob is to draft and hit on players in any round or outside of the rounds. Why should we get hung up on the round a guy was drafted in.....maybe 1st or 2nd rounders but after that what really separates a 4th from a UFA. We just cut a 2nd rounder on a rook deal.

What makes me happy is we can move on from guys also because we found guys in the back end of the draft or in UFA that are better so whatever makes this team better. Upside is great and we have that with MVS and ESB do we need more upside or can we just get a competent footballer for a 4th or 5th WR.

Edited by PACKRULE

I think we need to pump the brakes on Shepherd. He scored a nice TD and by all accounts has done some good things in camp but that's it. So far we have not seen enough of him on special teams. Davis plays several roles on special teams and Shepherd will need to do alot more before he is in position to displace him.

I seem to vaguely recall LaFleur saying he prefers bigger bodied receivers in the slot. With that in mind Geronimo, Kumerow and Anime are currently ahead in the pecking order.

Right now I feel confident in saying he won't be making the roster.

As of now I have 6 WRs making the final 53. Adams, MVS, Geronimo, Kumerow, Anime and Davis. Based on last night's game Moore got a long way to convince us that we need to keep 7 receivers. He needs to chill. He's fighting the ball all the time. He also needs to show more on special teams. If nothing changes then I suspect he will end up a priority practice squad candidate.

I'm not too worried about Kumerow's age. Players peak at different times, the important thing is to make sure the player who is peaking is on the roster at that specific moment in time. The player could go on to be an absolute star for 3 short years before fading away and you know what I would be absolutely fine with that. I suspect Kumerow is finally hitting his stride and he has a clear and obvious connection with Rodgers. At the end of the day its about results on the pitch and that trumps over potential like Moore.

On the other side of the coin maybe you could argue that Moore is one of those who is could be a late bloomer. Unfortunately first he needs to show some evidence of blooming to justify keeping him. Kumerow is showing it right now and with Rodgers superbowl window closing we may need to take a short term mindset. Right place right time for Kumerow but not so much for Moore.

1.  Give up on Moore when his contract is no longer cheap.  IMO, Adams-Allison-MVS-EQ are good.  I don't see the upside of any of the remaining WRs higher than that of Moore.  I'm not sure we even need 6 WRs, TBH.

2.  I keep Davis first out of the three.  He is a good return man, and almost Jarrett Bush/Dimitri Goodman as a kick coverage guy.  As I said earlier, if we keep two of those guys, I keep Moore over Shepherd or Kumerow.  I don't know what Kumerow offers that EQ doesn't if given the same opportunity.  And Shepherd is like Myles White 2.0.  He was good, but the team missed absolutely nothing when he was released in favor of James Jones.

3.  Special teams is the most important factor for me determining 5th-??? WR.  In my eyes, Davis is #5 if he just stops getting hurt.