2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I agree we are on the hook for his salary anyway. I want Sternberger activated when he's eligible and Graham as a game day inactive with Tonyan, Sternberger and Lewis active. 

I'd be shocked if Jace did anything of real value this year. Hope I'm wrong though. They must think he can though if they are bringing him back.

• Like 2

Just now, Norm said:

I'd be shocked if Jace did anything of real value this year. Hope I'm wrong though. They must think he can though if they are bringing him back.

The little time he got in preseason you could see that athleticism. He doesn't need to know the whole playbook or work the whole route tree. He's just got to be able to come in and do a few things well. I think he's more than capable of that and he's been working out and learning while he's been out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The little time he got in preseason you could see that athleticism. He doesn't need to know the whole playbook or work the whole route tree. He's just got to be able to come in and do a few things well. I think he's more than capable of that and he's been working out and learning while he's been out. 

Agreed with both and to piggyback, I'm of the impression that they want him to get some quality reps so he can develop more than anything. I suspect we'll see him in garbage time or just before halftime.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Jace doesn't add anything to this team that Graham doesn't already. Rookie TEs rarely, if ever, offer anything in their first season. Jace isn't an exception. 

Actually he does, youth and ascending talent for the future. Reps will do him good whereas more reps are unlikely to help Graham. Jace is also probably faster than Graham is at this time in his (Graham's) career.

Having said that, would you put your $12m TE on the inactive list ? It would take a brave man to do that and have to deal with all the media fallout that comes from it. 

I agree that Jace will not be down with all the details of blocking and route running, but you could give him a limited playbook, so he isn't overwhelmed, and expand it over time. Graham is still going to get reps, though maybe a few less than now.

58 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Jace doesn't add anything to this team that Graham doesn't already. Rookie TEs rarely, if ever, offer anything in their first season. Jace isn't an exception. 

Other than run, jump, catch and attempt to block I agree with you! 

18 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Actually he does, youth and ascending talent for the future. Reps will do him good whereas more reps are unlikely to help Graham. Jace is also probably faster than Graham is at this time in his (Graham's) career.

Having said that, would you put your $12m TE on the inactive list ? It would take a brave man to do that and have to deal with all the media fallout that comes from it. 

I agree that Jace will not be down with all the details of blocking and route running, but you could give him a limited playbook, so he isn't overwhelmed, and expand it over time. Graham is still going to get reps, though maybe a few less than now.

Ascending talent does nothing for the Packers in 2019. Jace will be brought along slowly because he's simply not ready. That's nothing against him; that's the nature of the position. Yeah, he might be faster, but this forum is smart enough to know there's more to football than just being bigger or faster. When he's healthy enough to play, he'll get his dozen snaps and maybe a target or two. People just want to see him in there for Graham because he's an unknown aka "exciting." Even though years and years and years of history have shown a pretty distinct trend when it comes to rookie tight ends. Someone will have to explain to me why Jace is special enough to buck decades worth of data/history.

32 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Your first two comments (running, jumping) are directly related to being younger, sooooo, you?

That is an assumption on your part and yeah, you'd be incorrect! Also, you implied that only rookie tight ends are youthful if we're playing that game which is completely erroneous! 

Jimmy Graham has been a bust for us. He's provided basically nothing in a year in six games and his time has passed.

Shouldn't make assumptions about what I was or was not saying/thinking!  

Edited by Golfman

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

That is an assumption on your part and yeah, you'd be incorrect! Also, you implied that only rookie tight ends are youthful if we're playing that game which is completely erroneous! 

Jimmy Graham has been a bust for us. He's provided basically nothing in a year in six games and his time has passed.

Shouldn't make assumptions about what I was or was not saying/thinking!  

My initial comment stated that Jace adds nothing to this team that Graham doesn't already. Him running faster or jumping higher does not mean he would be better. At all. Listing those as reasons why he would indicates to me you think he'd be better simply because he's younger, or you wouldn't have said it. As for your other two reasons: blocking is not his thing. Wasn't in college, won't be in the pros. And there's absolutely no way of telling if he catches the ball better or not. He very well could be like every other one of our past young players who all struggled catching the ball initially. None of the four facets you mentioned hold any water. 

Has Graham been a disappointment? Yes. But the production he's been giving us has only been bested by 7 rookies all time. So explain to me why you think Jace is special enough to buck 60 years of history and why he'd be better than current Graham. 

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Pretty sure if a healthy Jace had played all of Jimmy's snaps, we probably hate him just as much tbh

You are right of course—so much so that some of you other posters need to step up.

Do you know how much Norm hates to be the voice of reason? Do you? It uses up time and energy he could be putting into photoshopping and whatnot. 

• Like 2