2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

Jace is an incredibly smooth receiving TE.  Haven't had a player like him since Finley.  Just wait when he gets action he'll make some plays.  Next year he'll be really good.  I'd take him over Graham right now.  Kid is perfect for running down the seam.  Yah he's just a rook but don't think he can't impact the game.  The kid has talent and it's easy to spot saw it right away.

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Ascending talent does nothing for the Packers in 2019. Jace will be brought along slowly because he's simply not ready. That's nothing against him; that's the nature of the position. Yeah, he might be faster, but this forum is smart enough to know there's more to football than just being bigger or faster. When he's healthy enough to play, he'll get his dozen snaps and maybe a target or two. People just want to see him in there for Graham because he's an unknown aka "exciting." Even though years and years and years of history have shown a pretty distinct trend when it comes to rookie tight ends. Someone will have to explain to me why Jace is special enough to buck decades worth of data/history.

You are probably right in what you say about 2019. But when Graham and Lewis are gone after 2019, then a few snaps had by Sternberger this year will (we hope) be useful as a signpost to him where he needs to be, to be able to cut it in the NFL. I never have and never will claim Sternberger is in any way a kind of magic bullet to improve TE this year. I also don't expect Sternberger to be especially exciting. He may have the odd highlight through the season if he plays some snaps, no more. It's in the more  distant future for him to shine, if he can rise to it. 

This kind of conversation is only taking place because Graham has been an underwhelming TE for the money being paid, so some want to roll the dice elsewhere. Me, I'd be happy just to see Sternberger get a handful of snaps now and then, to bring him on slowly. Next year, the training wheels come off.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smetana34 said:

My initial comment stated that Jace adds nothing to this team that Graham doesn't already. Him running faster or jumping higher does not mean he would be better. At all. Listing those as reasons why he would indicates to me you think he'd be better simply because he's younger, or you wouldn't have said it. As for your other two reasons: blocking is not his thing. Wasn't in college, won't be in the pros. And there's absolutely no way of telling if he catches the ball better or not. He very well could be like every other one of our past young players who all struggled catching the ball initially. None of the four facets you mentioned hold any water. 

Has Graham been a disappointment? Yes. But the production he's been giving us has only been bested by 7 rookies all time. So explain to me why you think Jace is special enough to buck 60 years of history and why he'd be better than current Graham. 

He may not be quite as good  but  Jace isn't making 10 million a year either ... was a fan of his signing but Graham has been a frickin waste of money.  His hands have turned to stone dropping at least 2 td's the past couple of games.

8 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

The money is irrelevant at this point. It’s basically a sunk cost for this season.

Agreed.  However, it's still being paid out for not much performance wise.  When Jace is ready .. play him some;  it sure wouldn't hurt.  If the thought process is Jace wouldn't be better than Graham cuz of past history, why play any rookie on the roster.  Let him set regardless how much the starter has regressed?  Lazard is another case ... he saved the game last week.  Not exactly sure what's going on but anything to bolster our te and wr core is welcome!!   

23 hours ago, packfanfb said:

His 40 time is irrelevant when it comes to running 5-15 yard routes. Sanu is savy as hell, knows how to set up CBs, and is better at getting open on intermediate routes than MVS and his 4.3 speed. That's not opinion, it's fact. We could use a WR like Sanu. He'd probably become our No. 2 WR in terms of targets by his 2nd week here. 

I'd rather pay more to get Sanders from Denver, but a decent day 3 pick would probably get Sanu and that's a steal. 

Slow WRs clogging up the middle of the field and not getting open has been an enormous issue for the Packers ever since Jordy blew-out his knee. That's not opinion, it's fact.

42 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Not exactly sure what's going on but anything to bolster our te and wr core is welcome!!   

Getting our guys back healthy will go a long way to achieving that. The offense has been building all season and has shown signs of being ready to take off - just as our playmakers have been taken off the field.

We had a number of early season games against tough D's - as their offenses were also finding their way. Lets face it - everybody taking the PS off is gonna make everybody's early season a real time effort to put things in place. In our case, this involved a new playbook, coaching staff, players.......etc.

I feel - if we could now just get our guys together healthy - their execution and production will have increased.

22 hours ago, Norm said:

Jimmy Graham for sure is next if Kumerow gets cut. Even though I don't want him cut during the season anymore honestly.

The thing with Kizer and Kumerow is I thought they were getting over hyped. Does anymore still like Graham anymore? Even I fell off that wagon.

I like Graham in the sense that I am not marching to his house with a pitchfork, like some seem to be.  We are stuck with that salary for the rest of the season, might as well see if we can get any little bit out of him.  While I prefer Lewis and Tonyan to Graham, it isn't like we have Tony Gonzalez, Gronk, and Jason Witten just waiting to get on the field but the Graham contract keeps them there.  We gave a bad contract that luckily has an out after two seasons, such is the risk you take when getting into the free agent market.  I think the idea of Jimmy Graham was pretty well received here when he was signed, it just didn't work.

• Like 1

You take Jace off of IR so that he can practice with the team.  IRed players are forbidden to practice, unless you cheat like the Patriots.  Get him some good reps in practice.  Play him on some special teams.  Get a few snaps at TE later in the season, if possible.  Get him ready for next season.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, Packerraymond said:

You think Green or Sanders are much faster in their 30s? We have Davante and MVS, both can get deep. All we need is a dependable route runner who doesn't drop passes and moves the chains.

You aren't going to find much speed on the trade market, and it's an overrated trait we really don't need anyway.

We should play elgton Jenkins at wr. Dude can do anything.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You take Jace off of IR so that he can practice with the team.  IRed players are forbidden to practice, unless you cheat like the Patriots.  Get him some good reps in practice.  Play him on some special teams.  Get a few snaps at TE later in the season, if possible.  Get him ready for next season.

No. Get him ready - as ready as possible - for this season. I dont get this GBP thing - or their fans - where rookie TEs cant contribute something. Piss on that. Other teams seem to do it. It's our turn - and its not like our TE group has been knocking it out of the park. Opportunity exists.

Hockenson (1st round) seems to be doing well and OAK has one we see today: Justin Moreau (4th round). I remember reading in the DRAFT thread some Packer fans wanting this guy as a later round selection. Word is that Fant (1st round) is having an uneven rookie season - but he's on the field producing. 

• Like 1